Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

All port forwarding has suddenly stopped working

tclark333
Aspirant

All port forwarding has suddenly stopped working

The model of my router is WNR3500Lv2. I'm using the latest firmware, V1.2.0.48_40.0.88.

I run several applications on a home "server" that I connect to remotely. Everything has always worked fine and I haven't changed anything about my setup in a long time, but suddenly today I can't connect to anything remotely.

I can connect to everything fine from my LAN, but outside of that nothing works. For example, from my work computer I tried to connect to my FTP server using my DNS name, and it tells me the connection was refused. I verified my DNS name is updated correctly, but I also tried my actual IP address and it still doesn't work. At home, I can connect to it fine using my local IP address.

In troubleshooting, I completely shut down my Windows firewall to make sure that wasn't the problem. I also tried rebooting several times and resetting the router. None of that helped.

Here are a few services I typically use, none of which are working at the moment:

FTP

Remote Desktop

Blue Iris

Plex

Teamspeak

Again, these were all working yesterday and I promise I didn't change a thing! Can anyone think of anything else to try?

Model: C3000|N300 Cable Gateway Docsis 3.0
Message 1 of 3
antinode
Guru

Re: All port forwarding has suddenly stopped working

> [...] WNR3500Lv2. [...] V1.2.0.48_40.0.88.

So, not really a "Cable Modems & Routers" question.

> I run several applications on a home "server" [...]

What is its IP address?   What are your port-forwarding rules?

> I can connect to everything fine from my LAN, [...]

Using the IP address in the port-forwarding rules?

> [...] from my work computer I tried to connect to my FTP server using
> my DNS name, and it tells me the connection was refused.

"Connection refused" normally means that the remote device (probably
the router) was reached, but no one was listening at the specified port.

> [...] At home, I can connect to it fine using my local IP address.

Can you access these services from a system on your LAN specifying
your public IP address instead of the server's LAN IP address?

> [...] Can anyone think of anything else to try?

Reboot the router?

Message 2 of 3
tclark333
Aspirant

Re: All port forwarding has suddenly stopped working

The server IP address is 192.168.1.150. I typically forward ports by choosing the service type of TCP/UDP and set internal and external start and end port to be the one in question - for example, 3389 for RDP. While I'm at home, I can RDP fine if I connect to 192.168.1.150, but if I try to use my public IP address, it doesn't connect. But I can scan those ports from port scanning websites and it will tell me the ports are blocked, so I would expect that. So the "connection refused" error makes sense if the port is blocked, but I just don't know why they all appear to be blocked all of the sudden when I've always had them open and everything has worked up until yesterday. 

I've rebooted my router multiple times.
Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7