Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Blinking upstream light

Dboy501
Guide

Blinking upstream light

It's actually a c7000v2. But the upstream light won't stop blinking no matter what I do, and it's been like this for 4 days. I e tried resetting it in every way possible, even a factory reset. I've already talked to Xfinity and they say the signal os good, and the problem is with the hardware. It's less than 6 months old. The 1st screenshot is with it solid, and the second is flashing
Model: C7000|Nighthawk - AC1900 WiFi Cable Modem Router
Message 1 of 20
Dboy501
Guide

Re: Blinking upstream light

Message 2 of 20
plemans
Guru

Other than the blinking, is it causing an issue? 

Message 3 of 20
Dboy501
Guide

Yep. Wifi says "connected without internet" and my Xbox won't connect to Xbox Live. Here's a screenshot from today
Message 4 of 20
plemans
Guru

You've got a few errors but nothing crazy. 

Any splitters, attenuators, or amplifiers in line? 

Message 5 of 20
Dboy501
Guide

Nope. Just the modem itself, with the only devices connected being my Xbox One X by ethernet, and my Samsung Galaxy S9 Plus by wifi, obviously. No matter how I reset the modem, it will go solid for maybe 10 minutes, and then flashing again, and doesn't show anything in the event logs. It still says (Honoring MDD; IP provisioning mode = IPv6) or "Unicast DSID PSN startup error" usually followed shortly by another error "Received Response to Broadcast Maintenance Request, But no Unicast Maintenance opportunities received - T4 time out" after I reset it. But most of the time, it's a T-3 error. Seeing as how i've factory reset it 3 times now, and nothing is changing, i'm assuming it's a defective modem.
Message 6 of 20
plemans
Guru

t3/t4 errors tend to be line issues. 

So you know its either:

1. The isp's line

2. The cabling

3. The modem

You can always try a different modem and see if it works. If it has the same issues, then its the cable running to the modem or the isp's lines. 

Message 7 of 20
Dboy501
Guide

STILL having the same problems, and all Netgear and Xfinity want to do is point fingers and pass me back and forth. I've been reading ALOT of threads in here about the ridiculous amount of problems with this c7000v2, and I can't figure out how they're still being allowed to still sell it. There should have already been a class action lawsuit filed no later than 2018. I bought it from Best Buy for $189.99 back in December, and already had to pay $17 to have Netgear replace it once. Now i'm about to insist on a full refund, because I haven't had a solid week yet without numerous issues that make my internet service nonexistent. I've had my upstream light flashing with only 4 locked channels for about 5 months now, and can't get support from either side no matter what I do. It will have a "UNICAST DSID PSN startup error" every time as soon as it boots up after saying "Honoring MDD; IP Provisioning Mode = IPv6" in the event logs. Now it only shows "honorMdd(4)" in the IP Provisioning Mode. There will be legal repercussions if nothing gets done about it by the end of the month. I'm sick of dealing with it, because i'm spending on average around 3 hours per day on the phone and in online chats with support from Xfinity and Netgear. All of my Power and SNR levels are within range, all 24 downstreams are locked, so I don't know what else to do but demand a refund and get as far away from Netgear products as I possibly can
Message 8 of 20
FURRYe38
Guru

If two different units have failed, then either this is a ISP line problem and the ISP needs to send someone out to check the signal at your place, or you have two faulty units.

Have the ISP check the signal and line quality UP to the modem. 
Be sure there are no coax cable line splitters in the between the modem and ISP service box. 
Be sure your using good quality RG6 coax cable up to the modem.

Disable IPv6 option on the modems web page. 

If anything find a stand alone mode and conenct a external router and see how that does, if it works better, the the problem is the C series modem. 

Good Luck. 

Message 9 of 20
Dboy501
Guide

There's no option to disable IPv6, only the firewall. There's no option set priority either. This sure is an expensive piece of equipment to have so few options in the administrative settings. I've been in talks with Xfinity's corporate office for about 2 weeks now, and they've escalated this to their tier 3 techs, because they've already been out here and replaced every single inch of their equipment on my property twice. The techs say they rarely come across a signal as clean as mine. It literally couldn't be more directly connected from the pole to the box, and from the box directly to my modem. From there it's just a cat 6 ethernet cable to my Xbox. I'm personally out of options, and since Netgear already replaced the unit, Best Buy won't touch it. So if this doesn't get resolved in the next week, i'm going to need Netgear to issue a refund. I've dealt with this for too long, and spent way too much money to recieve the lack of support i'm getting from both sides. I'm ready to take my refund and completely cut ties with both companies at this point.
Message 10 of 20
FURRYe38
Guru

You'll need to contact NG. Good Luck. 

Message 11 of 20
Yhayden1
Initiate

I’m curious if you ever got this resolved. I’m running into the same issue where I’ve had xfinity out and the signal is good. My Netgear C7000.v2 will work for 30 minutes then lose the signal for 10-15 minutes having the upstream blink or internet light blink. I contacted NG multiple times this week confirming that my isp is set appropriately and that my hardware is the Most up to date. I have been on the phone with both Netgear and xfinity all week and just want this issue resolved. It seems to be a consistent issue with the modem. Any suggestions or advice on how you had this resolved would be appreciated/ were you able to get a refund ?
Message 12 of 20
JimmyVino
Initiate

This problem was driving me crazy and I finally found that the isp cable going to my modem wasn't fully secure.  I had to really press it into the the metal sheath and clamp it down so it would stay in place.

Message 13 of 20
FURRYe38
Guru

And did this help with your problem? 

@JimmyVino wrote:

This problem was driving me crazy and I finally found that the isp cable going to my modem wasn't fully secure.  I had to really press it into the the metal sheath and clamp it down so it would stay in place.

Message 14 of 20
Djduh
Aspirant

Im having same problem since I began using xfinity 3 weeks ago and I get no help from isp they sent a tech and replace one cable but my problem still persists. I need answers on what to do so my upstream will stay stable
Message 15 of 20
FURRYe38
Guru

Be sure there are no coax cable line splitters in the between the modem and ISP service box. 
Be sure to power OFF the modem for 1 minute them back ON.

Try a different modem to see if the problem continues or not.

@Djduh wrote:
Im having same problem since I began using xfinity 3 weeks ago and I get no help from isp they sent a tech and replace one cable but my problem still persists. I need answers on what to do so my upstream will stay stable

Message 16 of 20
milhan
Tutor

Hi

Can you please confirm that your issue is resolved like you said. I am having the same issue with my "like new" C7000v2. I did reconnect the cable in to the cable connector behind the modem several times. When I boot the modem router the upstream light is solid green for about 10-12 minutes and it starts steadily blinking again forever. According to the manual blinking green means "The unit is scanning for an upstream channel." (page 10) The wired and wireless connections both seem to work fine and upon checking the netgear genie GUI to the modem router for the "Upstream Bonded Channels" I see that 4 channels are locked and 4 are not.

This seems like a common problem on these devices.

Message 17 of 20
FURRYe38
Guru

Be sure to power OFF the modem for 1 minute them back ON.

@milhan wrote:

Hi

Can you please confirm that your issue is resolved like you said. I am having the same issue with my "like new" C7000v2. I did reconnect the cable in to the cable connector behind the modem several times. When I boot the modem router the upstream light is solid green for about 10-12 minutes and it starts steadily blinking again forever. According to the manual blinking green means "The unit is scanning for an upstream channel." (page 10) The wired and wireless connections both seem to work fine and upon checking the netgear genie GUI to the modem router for the "Upstream Bonded Channels" I see that 4 channels are locked and 4 are not.

This seems like a common problem on these devices.

Message 18 of 20
milhan
Tutor

Hi,

I already talked to the ISP 2 days ago and asked them to check my connection and the agent said everything is normal. My modem is connected directly to the ISP cable; there are no splitters of any sort in between. I powered off and after several hours powered on several times in the past week and the same issue.

Message 19 of 20
plemans
Guru

@milhan the ISP's first response is always "our line is fine". 

I'd recommend starting your own thread and posting  your cable connetions page and logs. That gives us a snap shot of your line info. I'd recommend starting your own so your info doesn't get confused with the OP's 

Message 20 of 20
Discussion stats
  • 19 replies
  • 9 kudos
  • 7 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7