Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

C3000 Help

Coxjj04
Aspirant

C3000 Help

I have a C3000 which has suddenly stopped working. The power light is on and the downstream light is flashing. TWC says there is nothing wrong on their end. Netgear can fix it if I pay. :rolleyes: What can I do to fix it myself?
Message 1 of 13
Babylon5
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: C3000 Help

When you say ‘stopped working’ do you mean WiFi or Ethernet, or both? Have you tried connecting with more than one computer? Have you power cycled the C3000?
Message 2 of 13
Coxjj04
Aspirant

No internet wirelessly or with an Ethernet cable. I've only got one computer to connect. It cannot connect to the internet either way. Also, my phone and the kid's iPods cannot connect to the Internet wirelessly. By power cycle do you mean unplugging it for 30 seconds and then plugging it back in? I have done that several times.
Message 3 of 13
Babylon5
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Sorry for all the questions and no answers, but I’m just trying to build a picture of what is happening. Do wireless devices connect to the network but just not have Internet access, or do they fail to connect completely.

At the computer can you ping Internet based sites from a Command Prompt (Start, All Programs, Accessories)?

Try;

Ping www.google.com
Ping 74.125.24.99

I’m at work at the moment and the company firewall blocks both of those pings for me, so please check that you can ping that URL and IP Address at a computer that does have Internet access.
Message 4 of 13
Coxjj04
Aspirant

I can connect to the network, but cannot access the Internet.

I tried the ping, but Google.com gives me a response of "ping request could not find host www.google.com. Please check the name and try again"

The other one says request timed out (four times). Then says 4 packets sent 0 received.

I can't try it on a computer that has Internet as nothing in the house connects to the Internet or at least through the router. I am using my cell phone's wireless service. Should I try making my phone a hotspot and try the ping on my computer using that Internet access?
Message 5 of 13
Babylon5
NETGEAR Employee Retired

The purpose of those two checks was to see if you have a DNS problem, and this is often easy to check using a URL and an IP address (for the same URL). So at any computer where you have unrestricted Internet access (and I don’t have that at work), try pinging any URL you can think of e.g. Microsoft.com, Google.com etc. If you get a response to that ping then use an Internet lookup tool to find the IP address of the same URL, then check that you can ping that IP address. When you are satisfied that you have a URL/IP pair that can both be pinged, then try the same thing from within your network. My expectation would be that if you have DNS issues then the URL will not be pingable (because it cannot be resolved into an IP address), but the IP address ping will respond (because DNS is not required for that).

Your ‘Please check the name and try again’ is a hint that it could be DNS at fault, but is not really conclusive.

Since you have a connection to the router, are you able to log into the admin pages and take a look at the router status, particularly the WAN (Internet) status?
Message 6 of 13
Coxjj04
Aspirant

I can access the admin pages, but other than changing the network name and password I don't know what I am looking for or what to do in there.
Message 7 of 13
doraemon
Prodigy

Coxjj04 wrote:
I can access the admin pages, but other than changing the network name and password I don't know what I am looking for or what to do in there.

try to check under Advanced > Internet port > check if you do get IP addresses. If you do, make sure it's not zeroes or blank if you do get like 24.x.x.x or whatever as long as it has numbers, try to flush your dns.

on the command prompt try to type ipconfig /flushdns then afterwards try to ping a website such as ping google.com or try to access the internet
Message 8 of 13
Coxjj04
Aspirant

Under internet port the IP address/mask is blank. If I click on Internet port, it goes to Internet setup. In their it is either all zeros or blank.

Tried the flush in the command prompt. It said the DNS Resolver Cache was successfully flushed, but when I tried to ping www.google.com I get the same message as before.
Message 9 of 13
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Hello Coxjj04

I noticed in your first post you said the DS light was blinking which indicated your not getting a downstream connection and now you were unable to ping outside of the network. I would suggest contacting TWC agian have them troubleshoot sounds like your not getting a internet connection.  Hope to hear your feedback on this.

DarrenM 

Message 10 of 13
Coxjj04
Aspirant

I called TWC back and they tried three different troubleshooting things over the phone. Still no internet. They are sending a technician tomorrow morning. Anything else I can try in the meantime?
Message 11 of 13
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Hey coxjj04

The only other thing I could suggest is do a factory reset on the modem by holding a paper clip in the small hole on the back of the modem but if you do this you will lose all of your wireless settings and will have to reconfigure them.  Hope to hear what the issue is after your tech visit.

DarrenM

Message 12 of 13
Coxjj04
Aspirant

Yep! It was TWC. He fixed something on the outside of the house.
Message 13 of 13
Discussion stats
  • 12 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7