Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

C3700-100NAS - Firmware questions

JackiDance
Aspirant

C3700-100NAS - Firmware questions

Hi,

I use Comcast/Xfinity for my internet connection. My wifi is both:  2.4 and a 5.? gb setup. I know nothing about this stuff at all. 

Comcast said to update my firmware. Whatever or however this is done, can someone please explain the process?

Will the process delete any programs that I should be aware of?

thanks for any help

Model: C3700|N600 Cable Gateway Docsis 3.0
Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
JackiDance
Aspirant

Re: C3700-100NAS - Firmware questions

per conversation today with Comcast @advanced gateway wireless repair, I am not sure if they did anything because they had me unplug my modem/router - wait a bit and plug it back in then push reset button and it now has the current firmware version. Said to do this every month or so. Now, I am wondering if that act resets the firmware to the current version or if the Comcast people have to do something also.

thanks everyone. especially to the person that told me that the Comcast rep did not know what he was talking about which encouraged me to call back. Thank you.

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 4

All Replies

@JackiDance wrote:

Comcast said to update my firmware. Whatever or however this is done, can someone please explain the process?

Comcast does not know what it is talking about. It is its job to update firmware on cable modems.

Here is the Netgear line on this:

What’s the latest firmware version of my NETGEAR cable modem or modem router? | Answer | NETGEAR Sup...

If your firmware is outdated, you cannot manually upgrade your cable modem’s or modem router’s firmware. You must contact your Internet service provider (ISP) to upgrade your firmware.

Many ISPs seem to be incapable of providing those updates, probably because they want to sell or rent you a modem.

Tell people what your problem is and they may be able to help.

There is a manual for the C3700 somewhere at the end of this link:

>>>> C3700 | Product | Support | NETGEAR <<<<

Message 2 of 4
JackiDance
Aspirant

per conversation today with Comcast @advanced gateway wireless repair, I am not sure if they did anything because they had me unplug my modem/router - wait a bit and plug it back in then push reset button and it now has the current firmware version. Said to do this every month or so. Now, I am wondering if that act resets the firmware to the current version or if the Comcast people have to do something also.

thanks everyone. especially to the person that told me that the Comcast rep did not know what he was talking about which encouraged me to call back. Thank you.

Message 3 of 4

@JackiDance wrote:

thanks everyone. especially to the person that told me that the Comcast rep did not know what he was talking about which encouraged me to call back.

Guilty as charged. (Well, nobody else answered.) Nice to know that I got something right for once.

That's really useful feedback. It is the first report that I can recall of an ISP delivering an update.

The "turn off and reboot" trick could be useful for other people, especially Comcast customers.

@JackiDance wrote:

Now, I am wondering if that act resets the firmware to the current version or if the Comcast people have to do something also.

My guess is that when your modem/router starts the Comcast system will detect the router and feed it the new firmware.

DSL modems can also do that.

Pity their tech people don't understand that.

Message 4 of 4
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7