Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

C3700 Lose internet connection on some devices while not others. Local network connection still OK

fekke
Aspirant

C3700 Lose internet connection on some devices while not others. Local network connection still OK

From time to time I lose internet connection on my Mac.

All of a sudden my mac loses internet connection.

While this happens:

- Pinging an IP address out of my network (like 8.8.8.8) from my Mac FAILS (timeout) for every packet

- Pinging my router's IP address (192.168.0.1) from my Mac WORKS (get replies) for every packet

- Pinging an IP address out of my network (like 8.8.8.8) from my router (from the webconsole administration>diagnosis) WORKS (get replies) for every packet

- Pinging an IP address out of my network (like 8.8.8.8) from another device in my network (like my android phone)  WORKS (get replies) for every packet

So at the same time my Mac can reach my router but not the internet, while other devices can reach both my router and the internet, and of course my router can reach the internet. 

If I reboot my router the issue will be fixed BUT I don't even need to do that. If I simply disable the wifi in my mac for a second and then reconnect the issue gets fixed right away. And sometimes after some minutes the issue gets fixed by itself.

Once the issue is fixed, after some minutes or hours later it will lose internet connection again.

What I've tried, but didn't make any difference:

- Switching between 2.4 Ghz and 5 Ghz networks

- Changing channels

- Changing from 300 Mbps to 145 Mbps

ISP: Comcast

Cable modem / wifi router: Netgear C3700 N600

Device: MacBook Pro OSX 10.11.3 El Capitan

I don't want to blame my Mac, I guess that also happens in my other devices but I just don't notice it as much as in my Mac. Also why would my Mac fail to ping an internet address while succeeding to ping my router?

Any suggestions? Should I throw my router away and try a different brand?

Model: C3700|N600 Cable Gateway Docsis 3.0
Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
fekke
Aspirant

Re: C3700 Lose internet connection on some devices while not others. Local network connection still

The problem was with my Mac, not the router.

This StackExchange thread explains my problem, and that solution fixed my issue: http://superuser.com/questions/916055/wifi-stops-working-every-10-minutes-on-mac-os-x-yosemite-solve...

This is the original thread to which it makes reference: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/5481194?start=15&tstart=0

The solution was to remove these files:

/Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/NetworkInterfaces.plist

/Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/preferences.plist

and then reboot my computer.

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 5

All Replies
fekke
Aspirant

Re: C3700 Lose internet connection on some devices while not others. Local network connection still

Also in other networks my Mac works with no bumps.

Message 2 of 5
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Hello Fekke

It could be a Ip address conflict have you tried to to reserve the IP address that your mac is using?

DarrenM

Message 3 of 5
fekke
Aspirant

Thanks for your reommendation DarrenM. My Mac was already using a reserved IP address. And the problem turned out to be the Mac. The router was fine.

Message 4 of 5
fekke
Aspirant

The problem was with my Mac, not the router.

This StackExchange thread explains my problem, and that solution fixed my issue: http://superuser.com/questions/916055/wifi-stops-working-every-10-minutes-on-mac-os-x-yosemite-solve...

This is the original thread to which it makes reference: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/5481194?start=15&tstart=0

The solution was to remove these files:

/Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/NetworkInterfaces.plist

/Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/preferences.plist

and then reboot my computer.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7