Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

C3700 ReadyShare speed

bashworth
Follower

C3700 ReadyShare speed

Recently purchased the c3700 cable modem/router.

We have about 3 laptops in our household, and we used to store various media (movies, music, etc..) that we would view on our tv through the Media app on our Playstation 4.   Anyway, we made the decision, when we got this router, to get an external hard drive to give a central storage location for all of these items, so we weren't having the hassles of wondering who's computer had which stuff on it.

So, we got a 5tb external hard drive, I hooked it up via the USB cable to the back of the router, and we're off.  I can see it just fine from the PS4, and I can see it from all three laptops.  Ok, let the moving of files commence.

500kb/s is as fast as it will go.   If I hook the hard drive up directly, a file that it told me would take 45 minutes over the network, takes 30 seconds.   I moved all the files over via direct USB cable, and they stream just fine through the PS4.  However, from any of the laptops, it takes 5 minutes before it will even start a video, and it buffers for about an hour before it's playable.

I've tried connecting via ftp, with zero improvement in speed.   I've seen lots of conversations going back 3-4 years regarding the dismal performance of ReadyShare, with the only solution being "that's just what it is".   Is there some setting that I'm missing?   

I don't know if it matters, but if I go to the router settings via the browser, I see all the ReadyShare stuff fine, but if I go through the Genie program, it doesn't see the drive connected. (it does show up in network map though)

Message 1 of 2
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Re: C3700 ReadyShare speed

Hello bashworth

I tested on my ready share i was getting 8mbs  download speeds and I have just the basic ready share settings. What I could suggest is reformatting the HD and setting the ready share back up it could be some preloaded software on the drive causing issues.

DarrenM

Message 2 of 2
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7