Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: C3700 Traffic Meter Missing

JTringali
Tutor

C3700 Traffic Meter Missing

Since Comcast capped our internet I wanted to double check their data numbers. I haven't changed our habits at home, yet the data usage went up every month since October (Oct 245, Nov 303, Dec 385, and now Jan is 308 with a week to go and all streaming service HD turned off). I went to the router to enable the traffic meter and IT IS GONE! Comcast runs the firmware, and they use V2.02.06 on my (personally owned) C3700. I'm looking at ->Advanced ->Advanced Setup and normally the traffic meter opton is right under IPv6 but there is nothing there. Did they erase the option? Is there a way to get it back?

Message 1 of 9
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Hello JTringall

I believe comcast has there own traffic meter that is built into your comcast account on there website.

DarrenM

Message 2 of 9
JTringali
Tutor

They do, but they seem to be using some kind of strange numbers and that's why I wanted to check it with my own router.  Other people have seen the same thing, with Comcast's system tracking double the data the router says its using.

Message 3 of 9
rsarver
Aspirant

Comcast does have a meter at www.xfinity.com/usagemeter. However, it does not keep track of individual devices on your network, only total data used during the billing period.

I too am looking for a way to track individual devices on my network to stop from reaching my monthly 300GB comcast cap. Unfortunately the netgear genie states the C3700 does not support traffic meter. Perhaps Netgear technical support knows of a work around?

Message 4 of 9
JTringali
Tutor

I'm not looking for an individual counter (Windows does that on its own for each PC) I want a TOTAL household data number because I don't trust the Comcast numbers that their tool comes up with.  Why would they remove the router's built in traffic meter if they were being up front and accurate with their usage meter?  It seems nefarious to me.

Message 5 of 9
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

JTringali

If you do not trust the ISP tool then you may want to do some googling I am sure there is a free tool out there that will do what you are looking for I do not have any recommendations I have not used any of them.

DarrenM

Message 6 of 9
frankeezipper
Aspirant

I also found this issue. However when i started watching the lights on my modem flas constatnly I knew that something was wrong. It began on Feb 11 as i sat down at my computer. At the time I didn't know a lot about the window 10 operating system but I began to look for advise in technet.com I found what i was looking for. Unfortunately , it was't good . I was being hacked. I wen from using 12 mgs of data in dec to 84 in a week after that in jan. I had a dell laptop 2 yrs old. no other devices. In Feb I had used 600 mgs , not possible for me. When I contacted Comcast thru thousands of phone cal , 3 service tech later nothing was done. I bought 7 modem/routers and each time whomever was doing this had changed the registry keys on my windows operating system so each time I logged on or started up my computer the hacker was waiting. It has cost and astrominical amount to get rid of this. I suggest you find the commands for your operating system and see who is connected to it. My netgear now registers ping of death , dos attacks and several more issues that still lets me know that they are out there. 

Message 7 of 9
frankeezipper
Aspirant

Go to Blacklist.com or IP Lookup by johnarul and check oput your usage there

Message 8 of 9
frankeezipper
Aspirant

Do you have windows , if so what operating system, or Apple ad what version. I have a lot of experience in these types of meters , most are free

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7