Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

C3700 has wifi connection but Safari can't verify identity of website

brhathaway23
Aspirant

C3700 has wifi connection but Safari can't verify identity of website

Hello, this is my second refurbished N600 C3700 dual-band modem purchased from Amazon. The first one never connected to the internet so I returned it and got a new one. The new one shows I'm connected to my 5G wifi network, but I'm hesistant to proceed with the pop up that reads "Safari can't verify the identity of the website 'elb02.activatemymodem.com'". A similar prompt came up with a different website name 'googleads.h.doubleclick.com'...or something very close to that...some I'm suspicious it is a fraudulent site. It mentions something about a Symantec certificate expiring later this year and that it was signed by an unknown authority. Not really feeling that.

I'm trying to access the internet via my MacBook Air, and my modem shows I am connected to the wifi network, but apparently I can't access the internet without accepting this prompt. I'm nervous to proceed. I've also tried using an older laptop with an Ethernet port directly into the modem but no internet access yet. I don't get the same pop up but still no internet access despite being connected to the wifi network.

Any suggestions? I'd prefer not to return this, but I'm wondering if purchasing refurbished is also an issue.
Message 1 of 7

Accepted Solutions
brhathaway23
Aspirant

Re: C3700 has wifi connection but Safari can't verify identity of website

Hello William,

Turns out the activatemymodem site was from my ISP. Connected to the internet now and ready to go!

Thanks for your help!

View solution in original post

Message 7 of 7

All Replies
brhathaway23
Aspirant

Also, my ISP (Spectrum) confirmed no issues with internet flowing to my house. My old router (before Netgear) connects just fine (though it is slower) so the issue seems to have something to do with my Netgear modem.
Message 2 of 7
William10a
Master

It is possible that the second unit was reset to back to factory specs when you recieved the unit I hoped that at least tried a reset before you installed the modem/router? 

Message 3 of 7
brhathaway23
Aspirant

Hello William,

I did not reset the modem before initial setup. However, after having it plugged in with coax cable attached and my ISP stating they saw the modem and it still did not work, I did eventually try the hard reboot by pressing the small button on the bottom of the modem. At that point, though, I was no longer talking to my ISP and troubleshooting myself with no luck.

If I've done the hard reboot to reset back to factory settings, where can I go from here?

Message 4 of 7
William10a
Master

http://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/C3700/C3700_All_MSOs_UM_EN.pdf

the above link has a trouble shooting guide in it.

Message 5 of 7
brhathaway23
Aspirant

Thank you, William. I will try talking with my ISP again today. Perhaps re-booting the modem will allow it to connect properly.

As for the website prompts to continue with a certificate, is that specific to the modem?

The message mentioned an expiration date to whatever Symantec certificate that exists. Should I be concerned with that?

I'm afraid to select continue and it be a false website, or proceed only to have whatever certificate is there expire in October of this year and make me lose internet access.

Message 6 of 7
brhathaway23
Aspirant

Hello William,

Turns out the activatemymodem site was from my ISP. Connected to the internet now and ready to go!

Thanks for your help!

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7