Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

C3700v2 – N600 WiFi Cable Modem Sudden Issues

hjjr78
Aspirant

C3700v2 – N600 WiFi Cable Modem Sudden Issues

I've noticed my router had a firmware update because the admin screen doesn't look exactly the same.  I am not getting a lot of 408 type errors when trying to open a webpage...basically, I'm getting a timeout; pages never loading.

There's a message at the top of my router admin screen in a red background area, stating that I'm offline but I am in fact connected to the internet....  What is that about?  Did not get any error messages before the firmware upgrade, which happened on it's own somehow.

Anyone else having this issue or had this issue?

Windows 7 64 Home

ISP = Xfinity

Message 1 of 23

Accepted Solutions
hjjr78
Aspirant

Re: C3700v2 – N600 WiFi Cable Modem Sudden Issues

I found a solution....

For starters, I didn't even know my lan connection was off and I was using all router-modem wifi the whole time since I got with Xfinity.  The wifi has issues, there's no denying that, but things went back to normal once I enabled my lan connection and started actually using the ethernet cable I had running from my Netgear to my PC.

So now I'm not getting the 408s, pages not loading in or lagging in, under my lan connection.  The only other issue I had was the website I'm building wasn't working under lan but I solved that by making changes in the Netgear port forwarding.

I do have wifi usage concerns still because my Firestick uses the 5g channel and my PC was using the 2.4g wifi channel.  Since the lan connection uses the 5g, that places both the Firestcik and my PC on the 5g, which means if somebody is watching a movie or gaming on the Firestick, there could...maybe be bandwidth conflict....maybe not.

Anyway, my Firestick is the only thing that seems to use the wifi just fine on the 5g.  I don't really use my phone for internet while at home, so I can't really say how bad the webpage loading will be using the wifi for that device or the pad.

Conclusion...

Use the local network (lan) computer connection with a Netgear router-modem combo, if you're on the PC that the Netgear runs to with the ethernet cable or other cable.  If you're on a PC that is not connected directly to the Netgear and you have to use the wifi...

You're in serious trouble because what people were saying on Amazon about my Netgear model losing wifi stability over time, was obviously no lie!  I bought it because the overall review rating was not that bad but clearly...Netgear has some issues as a brand.

PS, that warning at the top of my Netgear Admin page about not being connected to the internet is gone.  Yay!

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 23

All Replies
wcalifas
Prodigy

try powering off and powering back on that modem/router combo and see if that fixes it.

Message 2 of 23
plemans
Guru

the C3700v2 is a modem/router combo device and isn't users updatable. You can check your firmware version versus what's supposed to be current. 

https://kb.netgear.com/000036375/What-s-the-latest-firmware-version-of-my-NETGEAR-cable-modem-or-mod...

did you ever try a factory reset on it? Maybe an old setting is causing issues. 

Do you have a screen snip of the cable connections page and event logs?

Message 3 of 23
hjjr78
Aspirant

Did lots of resets, did an online chat with an Xfinity Tech....  No cables loose or anything like that.  Right now....  Late at night....  Web pages are loading like they should.  I really think the issues is on Xfinity's side of things.  It's like I get random bad ISP ping throughout the day and webpages fail to load.  I even did a netish reset and restared my PC.

I'm hoping the good connection I'm getting now stay and don't go back to pages not loading when the sun comes up.  I wonder if Xfinity has over taxed the company's systems with too many customers?

I can tell it's slowed internet when the problem occurs because videos on Youtube will start playing at a reduced quality and when the speed picks back up, the video quality gets clear and nice like it should be.  Right now everything is right again but my gut feeling is telling me something is going on with Xfinity and I'll be dealing with the connection issues again soon enough.  My router is just over a year old too so it's not like I'm dealing with a super aged device and I don't have a lot of wireless devices on it...it's just mainly the PC I use because the Firestick goes idle when it's not used and my phone only realy pulls on the bandwidth when it's doing a system update, which is rare.

I even unplugged the Firestick to make sure and removed the phone and printer from router connection earlier...  Made no difference.

Message 4 of 23
plemans
Guru

Do you have a screen snip of the cable connections page (shows upstream/downstream info) and the event logs?

Message 5 of 23
hjjr78
Aspirant

I found a solution....

For starters, I didn't even know my lan connection was off and I was using all router-modem wifi the whole time since I got with Xfinity.  The wifi has issues, there's no denying that, but things went back to normal once I enabled my lan connection and started actually using the ethernet cable I had running from my Netgear to my PC.

So now I'm not getting the 408s, pages not loading in or lagging in, under my lan connection.  The only other issue I had was the website I'm building wasn't working under lan but I solved that by making changes in the Netgear port forwarding.

I do have wifi usage concerns still because my Firestick uses the 5g channel and my PC was using the 2.4g wifi channel.  Since the lan connection uses the 5g, that places both the Firestcik and my PC on the 5g, which means if somebody is watching a movie or gaming on the Firestick, there could...maybe be bandwidth conflict....maybe not.

Anyway, my Firestick is the only thing that seems to use the wifi just fine on the 5g.  I don't really use my phone for internet while at home, so I can't really say how bad the webpage loading will be using the wifi for that device or the pad.

Conclusion...

Use the local network (lan) computer connection with a Netgear router-modem combo, if you're on the PC that the Netgear runs to with the ethernet cable or other cable.  If you're on a PC that is not connected directly to the Netgear and you have to use the wifi...

You're in serious trouble because what people were saying on Amazon about my Netgear model losing wifi stability over time, was obviously no lie!  I bought it because the overall review rating was not that bad but clearly...Netgear has some issues as a brand.

PS, that warning at the top of my Netgear Admin page about not being connected to the internet is gone.  Yay!

Message 6 of 23
rish234
Tutor

Hi! I've been having this exact same issue and it seemed to start last week. Slower wifi connection across the board and sustained periods of no connection whatsoever or brief, intermittent drops. I've even had drops when I've plugged my work laptop directly into the C3700v2 via ethernet cable.

When I log into the C3700v2's management page, I see the red banner stating that there is no internet connection and to call my service provider to activate service; this does not change with power cycles or a factory reset. In fact, after factory resetting the device, the modem/router took me to the initial startup page that would have had me call xfinity to activate service. Firmware looks to be up to date as well. Could this be the cause of my connection issues or is it just degradation of the product? Is there anything else I can try? I'm on my last legs before I purchase a new modem/wifi system. Thanks!

C3700v2 owned for 2.5 years. Provider = xfinity 100mbps. ~5 devices connected.

Message 7 of 23
hjjr78
Aspirant

If you connect directly to the Negear, make sure you enable the local area connection adapter in network settings.  That's the one you want to connect to and disconnect from your wireless adapter.  You don't have to disable the wireless adapter, just disconnect from it and connect to the local area (lan) one.  Chances are the problem is with the wireless connection and not the direct connection.

Message 8 of 23
andersv44
Aspirant

I have the same issue with this same model and it started at around the same time as the OP.   I have internet but it is performing poorly in general and dropping frequently.  This affects both wired and wireless users.  Devices include PC laptops, Samsung phones and Playstation 4.   All experience the drops and poor performance.

The router's management page shows a red bar with the message "Your Internet status is offline, please call your Internet service provider to activate.".   I have contacted xfinity about this and confirmed no issue with the service.  As I said I DO have internet service on the connected devices.

I performed a factory reset but it had no effect on the issue.   Netgear support says no known issue with the firmware, but that seems like the likely suspect to me.   I've tried everything. Please assist.  Thanks.

Message 9 of 23
FURRYe38
Guru

Please post a copy and paste of the modems connection status page.

Have the ISP check the signal and line quality UP to the modem. Be sure the ISP provisions the modem correctly.
Be sure there are no coax cable line splitters in the between the modem and ISP service box. 
Be sure your using good quality RG6 coax cable up to the modem. 
Be sure to power OFF the modem for 1 minute then back ON.
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Cable-Modems-Routers/General-info-and-Troubleshooting-for-Cable-Mod...
https://kb.netgear.com/24311/Power-level-guidelines-for-a-NETGEAR-cable-modem-router?article=24311
https://www.duckware.com/tech/solving-intermittent-cable-modem-issues.html

@andersv44 wrote:

I have the same issue with this same model and it started at around the same time as the OP.   I have internet but it is performing poorly in general and dropping frequently.  This affects both wired and wireless users.  Devices include PC laptops, Samsung phones and Playstation 4.   All experience the drops and poor performance.

The router's management page shows a red bar with the message "Your Internet status is offline, please call your Internet service provider to activate.".   I have contacted xfinity about this and confirmed no issue with the service.  As I said I DO have internet service on the connected devices.

I performed a factory reset but it had no effect on the issue.   Netgear support says no known issue with the firmware, but that seems like the likely suspect to me.   I've tried everything. Please assist.  Thanks.

Message 10 of 23
andersv44
Aspirant

Connections Status page:

Same Coax as has been for 2 years, no splitter.  Xfinity did run their tests and diagnostics from their end and found no issue.

I want to add that when I logged into the router's management page to get that screenshot - at that moment - all devices lost internet.  The wifi networks SSIDs disappeared.  All came back on about 2-3 minutes later.   This also occurred several times the last few days while i was troubleshooting and doing the factory reset.  Connect http to interface - internet drops.   Not every time, but always at that instant of logging in.   I don't think it's coincidence.

Thanks for the help.

Message 11 of 23
FURRYe38
Guru

Is there a section that gives channels being used and signal and power levels by chance?

Similar to what you see here? https://community.netgear.com/t5/Cable-Modems-Routers/CM1200-Intermittent-connection-issues-with-WOW...

Please don't post pictures with WAN IP address, MAC address or product serial numbers in public forums for security reasons.

Message 12 of 23
andersv44
Aspirant

andersv44_0-1657571267564.png

Message 13 of 23
FURRYe38
Guru

Ok. Power levels are good. Correct and Un-correctables are zero. That's good.

Can you post the Events Log page please. 

What channels are you using? Auto? Try Auto and 48 on 5Ghz. Or try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and 40 to 48 channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Message 14 of 23
andersv44
Aspirant

andersv44_0-1657571980241.png

Message 15 of 23
andersv44
Aspirant

I was on channel 1 for 2.4g.  with 4-5 neighbors so I changed to channel 3.  Currently have 5 neighbors on other channels 1, 9, 11.

I'll reiterate the problem affects wired also.  

Message 16 of 23
FURRYe38
Guru

You got lots of Criticals. Something the ISP needs to look into.

https://highspeed.tips/docsis-events/

I would ask them to dis-associate the modem then re-associate the modem. Ensuring that the right config file for this modem IS being sent and applied by the ISP. 

Power OFF the modem for a full minute then back ON. 

Try channel 6. Channel 2 is a sub system channel, not a primary. 40 to 48 or 149 to 161 channel on 5Ghz

Message 17 of 23
andersv44
Aspirant

Ok I will talk to the ISP and report back.

Thank you for the help.

Message 18 of 23
andersv44
Aspirant

Ok I spoke to Xfinity and we did a factory reset while on the phone.  They said from their end the router is not showing a factory reset, and the "boot file is not cleared".  The tech mentioned it should be in Wallguard mode to accept re-provisioning.  It isn't, so it can't be provisioned.

Message 19 of 23
FURRYe38
Guru

Did you press the reset button for 15 seconds or use the ERASE function on the modems web page under Advanced/Admin/Back up. I recommend using the ERASE function if you have access still to the modems web page. You might try this with the modem disconnected from the ISP coax cable.

Message 20 of 23
andersv44
Aspirant

Actually I used the "Factory Reset" button in the Administration page..Gateway Status.. Cable Information.   I will try the Erase option in Backup Settings as soon as I get a chance.

Message 21 of 23
andersv44
Aspirant

SUCCESS!

I performed the factory reset with the ERASE button on the Backup Settings page - with the coax disconnected.  After reboot I reconnected the coax and power cycled the router.   Interface came up finally without the activation message and right now everything looks good.

Thank you so much for your assistance!

Message 22 of 23
FURRYe38
Guru

Glad you got it working. Be sure to save off a back up configuration to file for safe keeping. Saves time if a reset is needed.
https://kb.netgear.com/24231/How-do-I-back-up-the-router-configuration-settings-on-my-Nighthawk-rout...
Enjoy. 📡

@andersv44 wrote:

SUCCESS!

I performed the factory reset with the ERASE button on the Backup Settings page - with the coax disconnected.  After reboot I reconnected the coax and power cycled the router.   Interface came up finally without the activation message and right now everything looks good.

Thank you so much for your assistance!

Message 23 of 23
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 22 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 6 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7