Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

C6300 Cannot resolve host - Cannot access internet outside of bridge mode

erhnam12
Tutor

C6300 Cannot resolve host - Cannot access internet outside of bridge mode

My C6300 is just 4-5 months old and had been working great so far.  I was on vacation over the long weekend and had the power to it turned off.

I come back home and turn it on to no internet.  Spectrum says it is my equipment.  I verify that by turning it into bridge mode and connect my laptop via ethernet cable and can access the internet with no issues.  

I am now perplexed on next steps.  It works fine in bridge mode.  But cannot access anything with it off. I have reboot and reset the router multiple times.  I have verified with Spectrum that I have the most recent firmware version.  I can ping the DNS host that it automatically gets from the ISP just fine.

Any thoughts or suggestions to help me on this?

Model: C6300|AC1750 Cable Modem Router Docsis 3.0
Message 1 of 14
erhnam12
Tutor

Re: C6300 Cannot resolve host - Cannot access internet outside of bridge mode

Also, not sure if this is related or not:

If I try to change DNS servers to google's and then click apply in my settings they do not save.  I get a '500 - Internal Server Error' message and the router/modem reboot without my changes.

Message 2 of 14
vkdelta
NETGEAR Expert

thank you for posting this. We are looking for customer such as you who are having problems specifically with "spectrum".

1. What FW do you have on the device?

2. what happens when you take the device in NAT/Gateway mode? 

3. Does the WIFI come if you FACTORY RESET the device and NOT connect it to spectrum and WIFI suddenly goes when you connect it to the spectrum network? 

Please URGENTLY PM with your info. 

Message 3 of 14
vkdelta
NETGEAR Expert

I meant, you can provide these answers here but PM me your name/email/phone so that we can have one of our engineers ping you.

Message 4 of 14
erhnam12
Tutor

1.  V2.01.18

2.  If that is the equivalent of switching router mode to 'No' under advanced settings then I was able to access the internet with no issues via ethernet cable hooked up to my laptop.

3.  I factory reset it many times and still was unable to access internet outside of the above parameters.  

Update:  I somehow restored my access to normal.  Although I don't know how.  I pressed the two buttons on the front of the router/modem (one for WifI, one for WPS) so that their green lights turned off.  I waited a minute or two and then pressed them again until the lights came back on.  I was able to access the internet after going through those steps.  Everything went back to working just fine.  Wifi included.  I don't know why that fixed it.  

Message 5 of 14
vkdelta
NETGEAR Expert

Ok. thats good.

Please let us know if the problems comes again. 

Message 6 of 14
erhnam12
Tutor

So the problem came back.

I had some issues with my phone dropping Wifi connectivity every so often after getting it back running.  So I tried a reboot of the modem/router and now it is back to not working.

I can only access the internet when I goto settings and turn router mode off.

I can't seem to replicate the series of events that led me to get it working the first time.  Might need more trial and error but this is very frustrating.

Message 7 of 14
vkdelta
NETGEAR Expert

can you please post some screenshots of the GUI and pictures of the LEDs?

Message 8 of 14
erhnam12
Tutor

http://imgur.com/a/vZ6wA

Let me know that link doesn't work.  I threw a couple of screenshots and pictures of the LEDs together.

I still cannot get this figured out.  Frustrating.  

Let me know if more info is needed.

Message 9 of 14
vkdelta
NETGEAR Expert

how many devices do you have connected back of the modem?

have you tried changing your DNS to 8.8.8.8 and 4.2.2.2.

Please type below command on your PC in DOS command prompt window in Router mode and provide output.

nslookup yahoo.com

ipconfig /all

Message 10 of 14
erhnam12
Tutor

I just have 1 device connected to the back of the modem (my laptop).

Yes, I have tried changing the DNS to different servers but my changes are never saved.  I'll get a blank screen or an error message that follow and my changes are never saved (seems to just be when trying to change DNS)

http://imgur.com/a/HfkK7

^ Has the outputs from the commands and what the screen looks like after I try to change the DNS

Message 11 of 14
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

hello erhnam12

this could be a issue with the ISP to test this backup your settings if needed on the modem factory reset the unit and do no plug the coax into the unit and see if the wifi shows up and you can connect to it and get to the settings if so plug the coax back in and see if it becomes disabled.

DarrenM

Message 12 of 14
powerx86
Aspirant

NetGear Support Team,

I have same exact problem.   Working fine prior to Labor day.   Left for 3 days and comeback and can't ping anything by name ... same issue as the post owner has experienced and I also am with Spectrum.    Validated issues exists on both of my Win 8.1 Client machines.   Turned on my Wifi on phone and no problems with PC setup.  

Can't change DNS to Google ones - get 500- internal Server error or nothing but a sad face or timeout because it can't change them.  

Have the same Firmware version as Post Owner and I still can't get in.   Pin Reset multiple times and no joy.

Come-on team NetGear - what is the issue.   I bought this thing in May and it is having issues with hardware or firmware????

Again switching to access both my windows client via my phone works fine.... did nothing just got back for labor day...   3 days and now can't ping anything by name .....

Help ... before disbelieving the reviews (the main reason I bought this modem)

Model: C6300|AC1750 Cable Modem Router Docsis 3.0
Message 13 of 14
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Try to unplug your cable connection from the modem make the changes then hook the cable back up see if that would hold the settings.

DarrenM

Message 14 of 14
Discussion stats
  • 13 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7