Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

C6300 DoS attacks

EthanBurg
Follower

C6300 DoS attacks

For about the last week and a half or so, I have been getting disconnected from games and such without reason. I checked the logs on my router and found out that I get lots of different DoS attacks from different IP addresses. I looked up where the addresses are from and they're all around the world. I do not know if this could be some program on my computer I downloaded without noticing or what but It's getting annoying and I don't know what to do at this point or if I need to be worried. I changed my IP, changed the password to the router, changed the login password to get into the netgear genie, but nothing seemed to help. The logs are in the attached file

Message 1 of 2
Trexula
Aspirant

Re: C6300 DoS attacks

Hi Ethan,

Much like you, I am just a simple home user with a Netgear WiFi router and have discovered the same type of messages in my router's log file. The difference between our issues is... your model router is not only newer, but offers much more functionality than my WNR2000v5. Looking at the specifications of your router, its almost humorous to see 'DoS Attack Prevention' as one of the features. The C6300 also boasts double firewall protection? SPI and NAT... from what I've read. 

Although I'm just a user like yourself, I do have some suggestions to help you. When you log into your router, do you have 'Access Control

' functionality? I realize the attacks are from a broad range of IP addresses that appear to be from all over the world, but what is more likely the case is... someone spoofing their IP address to make it look as though the connections are from scattered locations. I can also inform you, with fairly stong confidence, that it isn't something you downloaded to your system. However, I can't be 100% positive about that... but if there were malicious code running on your system, the router would have little appeal for whoever was attempting to gain access. 

As far as my model of router, there isn't much I can do other than upgrade, but in your case, check your firmware version. Make sure you have the latest version. If you have to, download the firmware manually from Netgear's website and install it by logging into the router. There should be an option 'have disk' as opposed to checking for updates automatically. Also, it may be worth downloading the manual for your router and see if you can determine some extra measures you can take to ensure the security of your network. 

Access control can block devices by MAC address, so even though it may be tedious, you could block each and every MAC address that attempts to access your network. Lastly, if you are able to verify whether or not you have DMZ and/or UPnP enabled on the C6300, it is highly advised to disable these features, as it could very well be the cause behind the security issues you're having. 

Hope this helps, and I wish I could go into more depth, but I'm actually dealing with the same issue at the moment and need to address the issue ASAP! Hope things work out for you. Protect any financial or sensitive data you may have... just in case. Good luck.

Message 2 of 2
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7