Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: C6300 Firmware Update to V2.01.14 -- Timing and Connectivity Issues

kkomenda
Aspirant

C6300 Firmware Update to V2.01.14 -- Timing and Connectivity Issues

Based on the C6300 Event Log, it looks like my C6300 automatically updated its firmware to V2.01.14 on July 7.  Since that time, I have had non-stop connectivity issues with Time Warner Cable.

I have spoken with Time Warner Cable, and it appears that their service is working properly and that the problem lies with the C6300.

Can anyone confirm that a firmware update was rolled out on July 7 or July 8?  If so, what can I do about this problem?  Would a factory reset be the answer?

Thanks,
Karl

Model: C6300|AC1750 Cable Modem Router Docsis 3.0
Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
kkomenda
Aspirant

I believe that I solved my own problem.  The issue was not with the router firmware at all.  Instead Windows 10 automatically downloaded and installed a piece of adware/bloatware onto my Acer laptop called "Acer Explorer".  It appears to be a valid program, just not very well designed.  The program was downloaded/installed on July 7, and every so often it would launch and flood the router WiFi with so much traffic that the router would simply shut down.

I kept the laptop off the network for a week and had zero router problems.  I re-connected it the laptop via WiFi, and the router failed within 15 minutes.

The mechanics of the issue are probably much more nuanced than that, but removing the Acer Explorer program resolved the problem.  I've had the laptop on the WiFi for six hours with no problems.

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 5

All Replies
kekolily
Aspirant

Hi, 

I am also having the same isue with my Netgear but I am on Comcast. I keep getting slower internet and skipping when I am steaming netflix. If anyone finds out how to fix this please post.

Model: C6300|AC1750 Cable Modem Router Docsis 3.0
Message 2 of 5
VE6CGX
Master

If older firmware worked fine, logic tells me to revert the update.

Message 3 of 5
kkomenda
Aspirant

I believe that I solved my own problem.  The issue was not with the router firmware at all.  Instead Windows 10 automatically downloaded and installed a piece of adware/bloatware onto my Acer laptop called "Acer Explorer".  It appears to be a valid program, just not very well designed.  The program was downloaded/installed on July 7, and every so often it would launch and flood the router WiFi with so much traffic that the router would simply shut down.

I kept the laptop off the network for a week and had zero router problems.  I re-connected it the laptop via WiFi, and the router failed within 15 minutes.

The mechanics of the issue are probably much more nuanced than that, but removing the Acer Explorer program resolved the problem.  I've had the laptop on the WiFi for six hours with no problems.

Message 4 of 5
VE6CGX
Master

I hope you control your downloading anything. Make sure not to allow automatic download without your permission. Also use Adblocker  on your browser.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7