Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: C6300 How to delete wireless networks using Netgear Genie now that I've set up a mesh system

Milomom
Guide

C6300 How to delete wireless networks using Netgear Genie now that I've set up a mesh system

How can I delete the 2 wireless networks currently set up on my system using Netgear Genie? I've read that I should delete them now that I have another wireless network set up on my Google Nest mesh system but I don't know how I should go about it. I'm able to log into the modem using Netgear Genie and I see the two wireless networks. Do I just uncheck all of the boxes and click Apply?

Message 1 of 16

Accepted Solutions
Milomom
Guide

Re: C6300 How to delete wireless networks using Netgear Genie now that I've set up a mesh system

Just to clarify for others looking for this solution, I followed these instructions: https://kb.netgear.com/27191/How-to-set-the-cable-modem-router-to-be-on-modem-only. I turned the router function off and the netgear wifi networks are no longer available. I can't seem to access the Netgenie anymore so I think I would have to reset the device if I wanted to turn it back on. 

View solution in original post

Message 13 of 16

All Replies
kon_ami
Guide

Hi, I have the same Netgear modem/router as yours and I'm having setup issues with my Google Nest Wifi.  Can you confirm that you were able to setup Google Nest with your C6300 without needing to do a "bridge" (i.e. turning off the Netgear router)?  I followed all the instructions I can find in YouTube, Reddit, Google, and Netgear communities; yet my Google Nest stumbles into "Connection Failure" when it tries to connect to the internet during the setup process.  Any help/tips on your successful setup would be great.

BTW, to answer your question on how to turn off the wireless networks in your C6300, i.e "bridge" mode:

1. Once you're log into Netgear Genie, go to Advanced>Administration>Router Mode.

2. Choose No.

Once you do this, you will not be able to connect any device to the C6300 via Wifi.  To turn OFF "bridge" mode, you can either connect to the C6300 via 192.168.100.1 or doing a full reset to restore the C6300 to its factory settings.

Model: C6300|AC1750 Cable Modem Router Docsis 3.0
Message 2 of 16
Milomom
Guide

Just an update on my question, before responding -- in doing my looking around I don't think I should delete the Netgear03 and Netgear03-5G because I read that if I do, I'll lose the ability to access the modem via the Netgear Genie. Makes sense -- I'm just kind of floundering around, trying to figure out what I'm supposed to do.

I didn't have an issue connecting the Google Nest Wifi Router and Point through the Netgear C6300 modem. I just connected the Wifi Router to the C6300 with an ethernet cable and set that up via the app on my phone. I plugged in the Point and set that up via the app. No issues, and my wifi range has improved. Success!

Message 3 of 16
kon_ami
Guide

First off, lucky you that your setup went well.  

With regards to yours, I read conflicting threads.  Some recommend turning ON "bridge" (no Wifi on 6300) to avoid double NAT while Nest states to turn OFF so you can add the Points.  Since yours is working, I suggest leaving it as is but turn OFF the SSID broadcast of Netgear03 and Netgear03-5G so nobody tries to connect to them.  In Genie, you can disable this in Advanced>Wireless.

With regards to mine, thanks for confirming that you were able to setup the Wifi and Points to the C6300 without doing a "bridge".  So I'm down to two possible causes for mine:

1. My ISP Provider, Comcast, blocking the internet on the Nest.  Can I know which one you have?

2. My Nest Wifi is defective.  I bought a refurbished from Google Store to save money.  I'm thinking of buying a new one in Best Buy to eliminate this possible cause.

Message 4 of 16
antinode
Guru

> Re: C6300 [...]

C6300[v1] or C6300v2?  Look for "Model" on the product label.

> [...] I've read that I should delete them now that I have another
> wireless network set up on my Google Nest mesh system [...]

What did you read where?

> [...] but I don't know how I should go about it. [...]

Visit http://netgear.com/support , put in your (actual) model number,
and look for Documentation.  Get the User Manual (at least).  Read.
Look for "Change the Router Mode".  (See below.)

> [...] I'm having setup issues with my Google Nest Wifi. [...]

"issues"?  You might want to start your own thread for your own
situation.

> [...] Can you confirm that you were able to setup Google Nest with
> your C6300 without needing to do a "bridge" (i.e. turning off the
> Netgear router)? [...]

That would be the normal way to do this.  The significant change is
disabling the router section of the C6300 (which will also disable its
wireless-network stuff), not simply disabling its wireless-network stuff
(which will not disable its router section).  Cascading multiple routers
can cause multiple problems.

> [...] I followed all the instructions I can find in YouTube, Reddit,
> Google, and Netgear communities; [...]

Think, for a moment, about how little useful information that
non-description conveys to the non-psychics in your audience.

> [...] I don't think I should delete the Netgear03 and Netgear03-5G
> because I read [...]

What did you read where?

> [...] that if I do, I'll lose the ability to access the modem via the
> Netgear Genie. [...]

If "via the Netgear Genie" means "using a web browser to access the
C6300[vX] management web site", then not really.  The
C6300[vX]-as-modem-only should be accessible at its (special DOCSIS) IP
address, "192.168.100.1". (As suggested above.)

> [...] No issues, and my wifi range has improved. Success!

If you do still have multiple routers cascaded, then some things will
still work.  Other things may not (especially things which involve
incoming connections).  Whether you see problems (double NAT, for
example) depends on what you do.

Message 5 of 16
antinode
Guru

> [...] I read conflicting threads. [...]

Thanks for the helpful links.

If you want to continue to connect (by Ethernet or wirelessly)
devices to your cable modem+router, then it makes sense to leave its
router section active, and to configure the new gizmo as a wireless
access point.  (See the new-gizmo instrutions for details on that.)

If you want all your devices connecting to the new gizmo, then it
makes sense to disable the router (hence the wireless stuff) in the
cable modem+router, leaving it as a modem only.

Either way, you'll have one router (hence no double NAT or other
cascaded-router problems).

> [...] So I'm down to two possible causes for mine: [...]

Or, 3, you're doing something wrong.

"issues" is not a useful problem description.  It does not say what
you did.  It does not say what happened when you did it.  As usual,
showing actual actions (commands) with their actual results (error
messages, LED indicators, ...) can be more helpful than vague
descriptions or interpretations.  All of which might make more sense in
your own thread.

Message 6 of 16
Milomom
Guide

I also have Comcast.

I have V1.

I used Netgenie and turned my modem mode off and it removed the 2 Netgear wifi networks, and my Google Nest wifi network is still working, so true solution achieved for this non-network expert :).

Message 7 of 16
kon_ami
Guide

I'm happy for you!  Thanks Milomom for your help in answering all my questions.

Message 8 of 16
antinode
Guru

> I used Netgenie and turned my modem mode off [...]

You mean "Router Mode No"?  (The modem is still a modem; the _router_
is what can be disabled.)

> [...] so true solution achieved for this non-network expert [...]

What could go wrong?

Note that there's a section near the front of the C6300 User Manual,
"Cable Your Modem Router to a Router or Gateway", which covers this
situation.

Message 9 of 16
Milomom
Guide

Do you spend your time trolling the Netgear Community site? Kind of sad use of your time.

Message 10 of 16
kon_ami
Guide

TOTALLY agree 🙂  His/her style of comments is very similar to other posts.  

Message 11 of 16
antinode
Guru

> Do you spend your time trolling the Netgear Community site? [...]

Some of it, yes.  You might be amazed at the number of helpless
people who can't puzzle out how to read a User Manual on their own.

> [...] Kind of sad use of your time.

Almost as "sad" as the number of incompetents on the loose, leaving
so much misinformation in their wakes for others to find.  And then
whine about how mean the grown-ups are when they try to tidy up.

Message 12 of 16
Milomom
Guide

Just to clarify for others looking for this solution, I followed these instructions: https://kb.netgear.com/27191/How-to-set-the-cable-modem-router-to-be-on-modem-only. I turned the router function off and the netgear wifi networks are no longer available. I can't seem to access the Netgenie anymore so I think I would have to reset the device if I wanted to turn it back on. 

Message 13 of 16
antinode
Guru

> [...] I can't seem to access the Netgenie anymore [...]

"seem"?  See "not a useful problem description [...]", above.  I
can't seem to guess what you tried, or how it failed.

Message 14 of 16
kon_ami
Guide

Milimom, since I am smart enough to decipher what you are stating, you have to do a factory reset in order to access the control panel when in "bridge" mode.  But in doing so, you'll have to re-setup the Nest and the Points.

BTW, I was able to successfully connect my Nest Wifi after returning the refurbished unit and replacing with a brand new one.  

Message 15 of 16
Milomom
Guide

Thank you! And I'm glad you were able to solve your issues :). 

Message 16 of 16
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 15 replies
  • 4 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7