Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

C6300 LAN packet loss 1-2% direct connection from pc to router via Cat6 Cable

wormpower
Aspirant

C6300 LAN packet loss 1-2% direct connection from pc to router via Cat6 Cable

I just spent 48 minutes on the phone trying to get support for my issue.
i reached a guy who knew nothing of this product.
he had me power cycle my modem, which i did.
asked me if all lights where on, i said no the online/internet light was flashing.
he said that's meant to flash, try and connect to internet.
shock horror no internet, until that light became solid.
I am appalled at the quality of service from Netgear on this.
i asked to speak to a supervisor as he did not know this product, but after 25 mins of him stalling. nothing.
he would say he was placing me on hold, but could hear him breathing and background noise
i have a $200 product that is going to get returned as you cant be bothered to treat a customer with any respect.
i have a packet loss of 1-2% between my computer and my modem 192.168 ip address.
nothing to do with my ISP.
and ping times get to 127ms
he refused to put a sup on the line. have to love India call centers. he said no sups were on duty. SURE!

the only thing between my computer and the modem is a 6ft cat6 cable. not WIFI but a LAN connection
Host                     %    Sent             Recv    Best    Avrg    Wrst
192.168.10.1    1    1807    1795    1    4    127

the packet loss alone is a issue, but worst ping of 127ms, when its a direct connection, no switch in between.

Message 1 of 6
wormpower
Aspirant

Re: C6300 LAN packet loss 1-2% direct connection from pc to router via Cat6 Cable

i have tried 4 different Cat cables. no change.

i did have a switch between the router and pc, but took it out to eliminate it from the trouble. no change in results.

Message 2 of 6
TheEther
Guru

Re: C6300 LAN packet loss 1-2% direct connection from pc to router via Cat6 Cable

Ironically, pinging the modem may not always be the best indicator of health of the connection. A second test is to ping the first hop behind the modem in the ISP's network. This will test the most common packet path through the modem, which is from one interface through the hardware-assisted forwarding engine to the other interface. You can use traceroute to find the IP address of the first ISP hop.

When you ping the modem directly, the ping packet needs to be locally processed by the modem's O/S. The O/S may not always get around to answering the ping immediately. If the O/S is busy, then it could, in fact, take some time for it reply to the ping. Having said that, it is a bit unusual for the modem to drop a ping packet. It could signify that the modem is unusually busy.

If pings to the 1st ISP hop still experience loss or high variance in response times, then there could be something going on with the modem. Certain features, such as port forwarding, URL blocking, and even MAC Access Control can force the modem to bypass the hardware-assisted forwarding engine in order to apply these packet-intensive features. Try disabling these features and see if there is any improvement.

Message 3 of 6
wormpower
Aspirant

It doesnt matter if i ping the 1st node or 15th node, there is always packet loss between the pc and the modem.

i started out pinging cnn but the more the modem was showing dropping the shorter i made the ping.

Message 4 of 6
TheEther
Guru

Then proceed with disabling any features that disable hardware acceleration.

Message 5 of 6
wormpower
Aspirant

there is no features enabled

Message 6 of 6
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7