Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

C6300 Unable to change IP address

Jeaton
Tutor

C6300 Unable to change IP address

I am on the most recent firmware version, V3.01.09.

In some recent firmware update, my device lost the option to change its MAC address. I have used this option many times to force an IP change. Now that this is no longer an option, I have no idea how I'm able to change my IP.

Here's what the option looked like: https://prnt.sc/ouu2ij
Here's what my Internet Setup tab looks like now: https://prnt.sc/ouu2fx (clearly missing the MAC address option)

My IP is dynamic, yet I never get a new IP when the system is turned off or restarted no matter how long it stays offline. I called my ISP and they claim that they have no knowledge of this firmware update, and that they don't have the ability to change my IP (a lie).

I would appreciate it if someone could tell me either
- How to change my MAC address a different way
- How to get my ISP to change my IP address
- How to force my "dynamically-granted" IP to change on a restart
- Literally any other way to change my IP that doesn't involve using a VPN or a spoof. I want my actual IP to change.

Why I want it changed is not important.

Model: C6300|AC1750 Cable Modem Router Docsis 3.0
Message 1 of 4
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: C6300 Unable to change IP address

All IP addresses and renewals and changes are done with the ISP service and at the ISP level. Each ISP has a different IP address change policy. Some ISP allow for a reboot to change the IP address. Some have a days policy where a certain amount of days go by and the IP address can change. This is all at the ISP level. 

Message 2 of 4
Jeaton
Tutor

I called my ISP again, and they once again claimed to have no control over what IP address I get. It's up to the DHCP servers, and considering I've had the same IP for months, I don't think I'll be getting a new one that way anytime soon.

Could you tell me how to install a previous version of my firmware? I have the Netgear Genie, but I see no option on to revert to a previous version, and I cannot find any old firmware files to install it manually through my device.

Message 3 of 4
FURRYe38
Guru

There servers may not have any IP address lease policy. Most major ISP do have a policy. 

ISP also handle FW updates so if it came from the ISP, they will be in charge of this. Most cable ISPs push FW updates. There is no FW updates that are posted on NGs support site. NG develops the FW and gives it to the ISP to test out on there network to ensure nothing is broke there. Then ISPs will push to connected modems. You should ask them if they can revert. If not, your stuck. 

Good Luck. 

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7