Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

C6900 cannot get download speeds on Comcast because of boot file?

TrapezeCDN
Aspirant

C6900 cannot get download speeds on Comcast because of boot file?

Netgear C6900   Up to 960 Mbps

Comcast 1000Mbps down, 35 Mbpsup

I recently switched plans  ( about 30 days ago)  Supposedly have 1000 Mbps download  and 35 Upload in my area just north of SF.

For the first 3 weeks I checked speeds various times of day and never got much above 200 , usually less than 170 down, and usually 2 up.

This is from the modem to a desktop using wired connection less than 5 feet away.  yes I have swapped cables etc.

Called and complained, said they will tech to confirm cabling to house etc.  Speed improved slightly  300 down 5 up.

Tech comes in and after checking says cables are fine, it is an issue with "boot file" on modem.  It says it cannot reach 1Gbps (1000Mbps) so automatically defaults to slower speed.  I asked why not 600Mbps (next lower tier) and he says it is a Netgear issue and nothing comcast can do about it.

I was told that although my modem/router was only 960 Mbps that with my plan (1Gb) that i should get as high as my modem allows, so I purchased this Netgear C6900, as Comcast on the telephone said I should get whatever modem would allow (i.e. 960 Mbps)

Can anyone give any voracity to Comcasts statement that it is a Netgear Boot file issue?  I personally think they are shining me on. (do not even get me started about trying to get lower tier for less money etc...)

Or is there truly an issue with files in the Netgear C6900 that would prevent me from getting speeds closer to 600 or 700 Mbps down and 10-15 Mbps up?

LImited tech knowledge.  just enough to get by...  Yes I have reset modem, and after 2 hours on the phone with Netgear changed one value in WAN setup to get essentially the same speeds.  (over 7 hours with Comcast for them to pass the buck)

Model: C6900|High Speed Cable Modem Router
Message 1 of 5
TrapezeCDN
Aspirant

Re: C6900 cannot get download speeds on Comcast / Xfinity because of boot file?

sorry updating original post to include Xfinity for search purposes, still refer to them as Comcast after 20 years

Message 2 of 5
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: C6900 cannot get download speeds on Comcast because of boot file?

Yes, what is preventing you from seeing anything near 900Mpbs on a wired connection is that the C6900 is a DOCSIS 3.0 spec modem. Most ISPs require a DOCSIS 3.1 spec modem now days. The other limiting factor is that the modem only supports 24x8 channels. Most ISPs require and need 32x8 channels for 1Gb ISP speed service. 

Message 3 of 5
TrapezeCDN
Aspirant

I understand from reviewing websites and the the forum here to achieve 1 GB speeds docsis 3.1 is needed,  but why can i not achieve  400, 600 700 750 Mbps?

what I have read here and elswhere is that Comcast/xfinity supports docsis 3.0 up to about 700 -750 Mbps.  Why am I only getting below 200 on avergae and only recently 300?

What I am trying to determine is if the "reason" given by Comcast is a load of malarkey, or if there is some explanation as to why this modem, which on the Comcast/xfinity website states it is good up 865 Mbps, will not do better than 300 Mbps.  I truly do not need 1Gb service and would be fine with 600 or even 400, if the cost was comenserate, but based upon their (on the phone rep, and website) info this should be giving me much faster wired speeds than 300 ish and 5

Message 4 of 5
FURRYe38
Guru

Have the ISP check the signal and line quality UP to the modem. Be sure the ISP provisions the modem correctly.
Be sure there are no coax cable line splitters in the between the modem and ISP service box. 
Be sure your using good quality RG6 coax cable up to the modem. 

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Cable-Modems-Routers/General-info-and-Troubleshooting-for-Cable-Mod...

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7