Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

C7000-100NAS 2.4ghz not working, but 5ghz is fine

thebearup
Aspirant

C7000-100NAS 2.4ghz not working, but 5ghz is fine

Over the past few months the device has generally worked but ~once/month the 2.4 GHz network becomes unreachable.

- My devices that worked fine just hours before cannot see the network - even if I bring the device (e.g. phone/tablet) within a few feet of the router.

- My 5GHz devices on the other hand seem unaffected. When I look in the "Attached devices" panel I see devices on wired and 5GHz but nothing on 2.4GHz. I'd gladly switch all my devices to 2.4GHz, but alas not everything supports it.

- Last time this happened I changed channels and it worked for a few weeks. Now the issue repros no matter what channel I use. I've tried using Auto, in hopes the device is smarter than me, but no luck.

- I've noticed that the channel usage chart will vary wildly when I refresh the page (e.g. channel 10 will show no usage then several APs). I'm in a busy metropolitan area, so maybe there are so many wifi networks fighting for the channels that my router gets dronwed out? If that were the case, it seems like this would fail more consistently (e.g. everyday during peak hours).

- I even tried getting a wifi extender to compensate for the lack of signal, but that couldn't connect either Smiley Happy

- Ifound a post about a similar symptom with an R7000, but n that case they just rebooted several times. I've already tried that, no luck there either.

Model: C7000|Nighthawk - AC1900 WiFi Cable Modem Router
Message 1 of 4
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Re: C7000-100NAS 2.4ghz not working, but 5ghz is fine

Hello thebearup 

To be clear you can no longer see or connect anything to the 2.4ghz?

DarrenM

Message 2 of 4
thebearup
Aspirant

That's correct, my devices that are configured for 2.4GHz AP do not see the AP, even if I'm physically within 1-2 meters. 

The 5GHz AP seems to be unaffected - I don't recall having issues on that frequency.

Message 3 of 4
thebearup
Aspirant

Apologies for the delayed response btw - work is busy and all that.

At this point I worked around the issue by hooking a separate 2.4GHz AP into one of the CAT5 ports of my C7000. That separate AP works, but it's hacky. It also tells me that it's probably not a noisy neighbor problem, since my devices can see this second AP on 2.4GHz where they couldn't see the C7000 on 2.4GHz. I'd still really like my C7000 to work on 2.4GHz so I don't need this extra workaround.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7