Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: C7000-100NAS randomly drops internet connection

drpnntgear
Aspirant

I have the same issue, and had them send me a brand new replacement, wich took 2 months of hoops and bull**bleep** to get, only to have the brand new device do the same. I didn't find this page until now, and they told me they had never had issues with this modem/router connecting or having t3 t4 t5 t6 errors and blammed it on my isp. I had the isp out 4 times checking my lines, and spectrum couldn't explain why it was happening. The artemis they gave me works and doesn't time out. So A) why would they claim not knowing about issues with this product since it has had issues dating back to 2016 with this exact problem, and why am I still trying to use it. We ALL should be reimbursed the $198.00 that we spent on this device, as it clearly does not work. They will be calling me back tomorrow, and I will let them know I have found this page and see what they say. I doubt I will see any money from this, sad cause I have used netgear products for well over 8 years. DONT BUY THIS DEVICE!

Model: C7000|Nighthawk - AC1900 WiFi Cable Modem Router
Message 101 of 120
drpnntgear
Aspirant

I have the same issue, and had them send me a brand new replacement, wich took 2 months of hoops to get, only to have the brand new device do the same. I didn't find this page until now, and they told me they had never had issues with this modem/router connecting or having t3 t4 t5 t6 errors and blammed it on my isp. I had the isp out 4 times checking my lines, and spectrum couldn't explain why it was happening. The artemis they gave me works and doesn't time out. So A) why would they claim not knowing about issues with this product since it has had issues dating back to 2016 with this exact problem, and why am I still trying to use it. We ALL should be reimbursed the $198.00 that we spent on this device, as it clearly does not work. They will be calling me back tomorrow, and I will let them know I have found this page and see what they say. I doubt I will see any money from this, sad cause I have used netgear products for well over 8 years. DONT BUY THIS DEVICE!

Message 102 of 120
NCsandhills
Guide

Certainly a frustrating problem.  I had the same for several months, and needed to reboot to regain the connection and "contract speed" with the ISP.  One reliable fix was to reboot the cable-modem.  I decided that the issue was with the "modem" part of the C7000, and the fact that the ISP provider is in charge of updating the software (it does need to be compatible with the ISP's hardware).  The current firmware version is v1.1.29, and this version works fine.  I suspect that the cable feed gets corrupted from time to time as well - another source of connection issues.  So, a reboot does help to restore the cable connection, identify the subscriber and establish the permitted speed, functionality, etc.  I have 14 devices connected, 3 hardwire, 11 wi-fi; and use NeGear Genie to "control access" to the system.  The combined "cable-modem" device sounds great, but separate units may be easier to troubleshoot and update (router in particular).  However, in the past and using a separate modem unit, I did have problems with the ISP provider's firmware updates - and they did have to return to the a prior version for all endusers on the system.  In conclusion - it's probably the modem part of the device (ISP and connection reliability, maybe the firmware version, etc.); and the only solution appears to be a reboot (automate with a timer) or get separate units to better isolate and solve the problem.

Message 103 of 120
HKahler
Tutor

It's interesting that Netgear has allowed this to continue on for two years.  Same problem here, all the following messages repeat every 30-45 minutes.  Talked w/ my ISP (spectrum/twc) and they came out tested the line into the house and from the wall to the router--all good.  Troubleshot w/ netgear techs, reduce MTU size, factory restore, problem doesn't stop.  Tech recommended replacing it if the factory restore didn't work.  Fortunately I bought from Amazon and I'm awaiting the replacement tomorrow (but this five page message train doesn't give me much hope it will work, so if it doesn't I'll just go w/ a refund):

2018-8-14, 21:09:10 Warning (5) MDD message timeout;CM-MAC=78:d2:94:8c:c5:90;CMTS-MAC=00:01:5c:69:22:73;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;
2018-8-14, 21:09:10 Critical (3) Started Unicast Maintenance Ranging - No Response received - T3 time-out;CM-MAC=78:d2:94:8c:c5:90;CMTS-MAC=00:01:5c:69:22:73;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;
2018-8-14, 21:09:42 Critical (3) Received Response to Broadcast Maintenance Request, But no Unicast Maintenance opportunities received - T4 time out;CM-MAC=78:d2:94:8c:c5:90;CMTS-MAC=00:01:5c:69:22:73;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;
2018-8-14, 21:09:57 Notice (6) Overriding MDD IP initialization parameters; IP provisioning mode = IPv6
2018-8-14, 21:10:12 Error (4) Missing BP Configuration Setting TLV Type: 17.8;CM-MAC=78:d2:94:8c:c5:90;CMTS-MAC=00:01:5c:69:22:73;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;
2018-8-14, 21:10:12 Error (4)

Missing BP Configuration Setting TLV Type: 17.9;CM-MAC=78:d2:94:8c:c5:90;CMTS-MAC=00:01:5c:69:22:73;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;

Message 104 of 120
CCutter
Tutor

i have the same issue as this guy who started this thread. Did you/he get this fixed, i was on phone for 2 hours today with customer service changed some channels, did some tests, as soon as i hung up, same issues of being dropped from internet, doesnt matter, 5G or ethernet

Message 105 of 120
BigDog2017
Guide

Since @CCutter asked. I never did get this fixed. Netgear was a complete dead end when it came to supporting the C7000. Tried several things and junked it. I did not give up on Netgear. I purchased a Netgear X10 R9000 wireless router and a Netgear Cable Modem CM1000. The combo has been running for well over a year now without any issues. Only down time has been for the necessary firmware updates. The only con is the cost. Of course, having said that it will probably prove me wrong. 

Message 106 of 120
HKahler
Tutor

Since I last posted, I got the replacement C7000, installed it and had about 18 hours of piece before the same thing happened.  So I went to TWC (Spectrum) and got a modem/router from them and installed it.  In less than 6 hours, I was getting T3 & T4 errors, so I called them back up and they will be sending a techinician out for a second visit on 21 Aug.  I've got the C7000 connected again because frankly it has better features and is all around easier to use than the one they gave me (technicolor).  I'll repost tomorrow after the visit.  But after trying the ISP's solution and getting the same errors, I've got to believe it's an ISP signal issue, not the router/modem issue.  Maybe having two seperate devices vice one combo, somehow compensates & masks the signal issues.  Because I didn't have this issue till I went to the combo

Message 107 of 120
HKahler
Tutor

BTW, love your solution, that's a nice pairing. 

Message 108 of 120
junfitz
Guide

Netgear Technical support can’t fix this problem themselves.

I tried everything and played around with settings nothing worked. I noticed that it’s a router problem vs it’s modem.

My solution: used this product to serve only as a modem. Bought the GoogleFi and used it as a router using a mesh network. Problem solved.
Message 109 of 120
HKahler
Tutor

So my ISP came out a second time and put new connectors on all the cables inside and out, checked the connections and verified the signal is good.   45 minutes after he left, it lost connectivity.  As junfitz did, I put the C7000 boat anchor into modem-only mode (netgear calls it bridge mode) and hooked up my old linksys EA8500 router.  I did that about 6 hours ago and no loss of connectivity since (knock on wood).  It's a shame because the netgear interface is great and it offered a lot of good feature (easiest shared external hard drive interface I've used).

Netgear support is in denial, they said there haven't been any reported issues like this on the C7000, I told them there was a 2 year, 5 page thread on the issue in the Netgear Community.  Does their support staff even look at this!?

Message 110 of 120
junfitz
Guide

I bet a Top Class Action Lawsuit will get these Netgear company to care about our problem.

Message 111 of 120
8th_Day
Aspirant

For what it is worth

Since neither Netgear nor the internet service providers are willing or understand how to fix the problem, you are correct.  The complaint would have to include all the ISPs and Netgear.  Netgear for ignoring our complaints and the ISPs for their role in recommending the product even though we are all having the same problem.  All of the documentation from this 112 message trail and the others which exist out there would have to be submitted.  The problem as I see it is that there is no way to collect contact Names, Addresses, and basic system information for everyone.  If there is someone who is independent, a lawyer or paralegal or just a concerned legal student.  We have a project for you.

Instead of getting my 100 speed from my ISP, I barely get 50.  I even put a timer on my equipment to shut it down every night for an hour.  But the errors quickly start happening again.  My MagicJack service is having issues because of the routermodem.  We sound like we are in a bathub under water,

The internet service providers do not have the expertise to write the hardware firmware for a piece of equipment that is something they did not developed.  Somewhere in the code there is (a) (are) setting(s) which interfeares in the ability of the modem to maintaining connections with the DNS Server.  That portion of the code does not get run when the Nighthawk is used as a cable modem and the router portion of the box is turned off. 

The problemm is that we all don't have money to kiss this thing goodbye and get something that works.  The ISPs would rather that we rent their equipment, so they have a vested interest is not fixing what is wrong.  Hence we are all stuck without a white knight,

Message 112 of 120
CCutter
Tutor

Hello junfitz, i'm going to try to go with your solution, netgear hasn't helped saying its comcast's fault. I'm not very tech savvy, is it easy to make the c7000 just a modem and i'm buying the google wifi now. Is it still working good for you?

Message 113 of 120
junfitz
Guide

Hey CCutter,

Yes, It's fairly easy to turn it into Modem only.  It's all in the software, I'm sure there are instructions you can find online.

It's been a year since I turned the C7000 into modem only and used the Google WiFi Mesh as my Router and I had 0 drops.  The worst thing i've encountered is a little bit of slowness for about 5 seconds then everything is back to normal.  The slowness only happened twice in 1 year.

Netgear needs to at least refund us half of what we paid for since we can only use this C7000 as a modem.

Message 114 of 120
CCutter
Tutor

Wow thank you, the C7000 WiFi cut off 20 times today, I had enough, just installed 1 of these Google WiFi , so far perfect for an hour and had every device going, it’s a shame, you are right we should get at least 100$ back
Message 115 of 120
Tbalfany
Aspirant

The fix for us was change the 2.4 to channel 6 and 5ghz to channel 157 on the wireless tab of the Netgear genie ( or router login page ).
Message 116 of 120
CCutter
Tutor

Thank you for your reply! I turned it into a modem only and bought the google Wifi router, very very happy with google, not a single issue! Good luck with your solution!
Message 117 of 120
BigDog2017
Guide

Glad that worked for you, but that is not the orginal issue. The orginal issue was dropping the connection with the ISP not the client devices connected to the router. Channel switching can help device connection connection issues in areas with a concentration of wireless routers all broadcasting, but that feature is unrealted to the routers connnection with comcast, centurylink, timewarner or whomever the ISP is. 

Message 118 of 120
junfitz
Guide

Hello,
Switching channels only works temporarily. That channel will eventually get full again within 1 - 3 days. If you don't mind having to do it often, that's a good solution. But if you want a permanent fix, turn your Netgear into Modem only and use the Google Wifi as your router. I believe it's been almost a year or longer with no more problems here. Good luck!
Message 119 of 120
Madrob1
Initiate

These other people should really read your post I nm stead of asking the same question over and over
Message 120 of 120
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7