Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

C7000 Cable Modem Router > GS108Ev3 Managed Switch

Crawstup
Tutor

C7000 Cable Modem Router > GS108Ev3 Managed Switch

New Mac Mini System Design.

Am considering using C7000, connected directly to Spectrum satellite coax cable then, via ethernet port 1, connect to a GS108Ev3 switch.

Will use addiitonal C7000 ethernet ports to connect VoIP and a remote Mac Mini used for VHS to DVD conversion.

Will use additional GS108Ev3 ports to connect (2 each) Mac Minis (2020 Models), an HP Color Laserjet Pro M283fdw, and an Epson 1600 Scanner.

ISP is Spectrum and our Plan calls for 100Mbps downloads and 20 uploads. Am designing this system with the possibility of upgrading agressively to a much higher speed plan...maybe 300Mbps.

Wireless connectivity is, sometimes, cantankerous. Am employing ethernet hardwiring to those components that are most used and demand dependability.

However, if this design is too hopeful OR you see limitations to network ethernet speeds OR, in your opinion, a change in Netgear models and features best serves my design needs, by ALL means, don't hesitate to reply with your input.

Model: C7000-1AZNAS|Nighthawk AC1900 WiFi Cable Modem Router
Message 1 of 10

Accepted Solutions
plemans
Guru

Re: C7000 Cable Modem Router > GS108Ev3 Managed Switch

That should work. 

The only thing I'd consider would be if you plan on upgrading to gigabit at any point.

The C7000 is rated to up to 400mbps on spectrum. The only device rated to gigabit is the CAX80 (not released yet)

I will say that I'm not a huge fan of modem/router combo devices. Reason why is the ISP controls the firmware and upgrades to the firmware. Which they rarely do. 

Plus if either the modem or router side goes bad, you're out the whole device. 

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 10

All Replies
plemans
Guru

That should work. 

The only thing I'd consider would be if you plan on upgrading to gigabit at any point.

The C7000 is rated to up to 400mbps on spectrum. The only device rated to gigabit is the CAX80 (not released yet)

I will say that I'm not a huge fan of modem/router combo devices. Reason why is the ISP controls the firmware and upgrades to the firmware. Which they rarely do. 

Plus if either the modem or router side goes bad, you're out the whole device. 

Message 2 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

Message 3 of 10
plemans
Guru

@FURRYe38 wrote:

The C7800 is rated for 1Gb speeds:

https://www.netgear.com/images/datasheet/networking/cablemodems/C7800.pdf

For spectrum?

https://www.spectrum.net/support/internet/compliant-modems-charter-network/

I see it on the minimally qualified list but it doesn't say what its approved for. The C7000 is approved for 400mbps and the only approved one on the spectrum list for gigabit is the CAX80. 

Message 4 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

Possible the C7800 would work for G1. Something to ask the ISP about or get one connected and see. Or just have to wait for the CAX80 for Spectrum. 

I see my ISP approved both C7800 and CAX80:

https://support.sparklight.com/hc/en-us/articles/115009158227-Supported-Cable-Modems-Residential-Onl...

I think I'm ready to connect, hehe. 

Message 5 of 10
Crawstup
Tutor

Gracious thanks for your reply.

Am taking seriously your point regarding failure of a cable modem versus separate components. Again, thanks!

Message 6 of 10
Crawstup
Tutor

Orbi opens another door for consideration. Again, thanks!!

Message 7 of 10
Crawstup
Tutor

Time is not the essence here. Can wait for the CAX80 to view the latest edge. Again, thanks!!

Message 8 of 10
Crawstup
Tutor

Reviewed C7800. Spectum's cable modem list and advice didn't impress with any impact. Still leaning on the advice you all have supplied. Maybe waiting out the CAX80 is the best option OR purchasing cable and router separately. Both are tempting and practical. Again, thanks!!

Message 9 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

Good Luck. 

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements