Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

C7000 Cable Router Won't Allow My Correct IP Address When Attempting to Custom Add a Port

Danno28
Aspirant

C7000 Cable Router Won't Allow My Correct IP Address When Attempting to Custom Add a Port

I need to Add a Custom Service for Port 80 or 433.  The program will not allow me to enter my VALID IP Address that I captured from a Command window in the Default Gateway IP Address line.  ie: 192.168.0.1  The program locks me into selecting the 192 & 168 & 0 part of my IP Address but will not accept any value in the last box ie: "1".  This is the error I get:  

"192.168.0.1 says Invalid IP Address. Please enter it again."  

So what am I doing wrong?  Help would surely be apprecitated.  Thanx ...

Model: C7000|Nighthawk - AC1900 WiFi Cable Modem Router
Message 1 of 4
TheEther
Guru

Re: C7000 Cable Router Won't Allow My Correct IP Address When Attempting to Custom Add a Port

192.168.0.1 is probably the IP address of your C7000.  If true, then you can't point a custom service at the router itself.  You are supposed to enter the IP address of the device on your home network to which the router should forward incoming traffic.

Message 2 of 4
Danno28
Aspirant

Re: C7000 Cable Router Won't Allow My Correct IP Address When Attempting to Custom Add a Port

Hi - thanx for your help.  Maybe I didn't explain my problem sufficiently.  

I have a NAS drive. (Network Accessible Storage)  There is an app on this NAS drive (Photo Station) that will allow me to create Photo Folders so that my distant family and friends can view my photos.  It generates a web link that I can post. Here's the link:

http://sheridan.synology.me/photo/?t=Albums/album_4561737420426f73746f6e2032303037#Albums/album_4561... 

When anyone clicks on this link, they cannot see the photos, because, I have not opened up Port 80 or 433 on my Netgear Modem.  When I click on this link I can see the photos but that's because I'm on my LAN.  So using the Netgear control panel, I am attempting to OPEN PORT 80.  But when I input the "Internal IP Address" which is one of required fields, I get an error stating that the "IP Address is Invalid - Try Again"   I know the address is correct because I copied it directly from my Command Window via IPCONFIG/ALL.  

Does this make sense?   

Thanx ....

Message 3 of 4
TheEther
Guru

You should be entering the IP address assigned to your NAS, not from ipconfig.  ipconfig will list addresses for your Windows machine as well as IP addresses for the router and DNS servers.  None of those are the correct addresses to use.  You can find the IP address used by the NAS by either logging into the NAS itself or logging into your router.  

BTW, you should set up the NAS to use either a static or DHCP reserved IP address.  This will ensure that the NAS doesn't change its IP address, which would break port forwarding.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7