Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: C7000 Locked/Unlocked Channels?

andreah1
Apprentice

C7000 Locked/Unlocked Channels?

Forgive me if I'm posting in the wrong place - not technologically advanced, just trying to fix a problem.  For the past week or two have noticed internet speed choppiness, especially on my desktop.  I have done a speed test and looks to be what I should be getting 20 down 5 up.  I just reset the router and notice my upstream and downstream (had to look them up) are amber.  Would that be part of the issue?  Is there something I can do to fix this?  Or is it something that Spectrum would have to handle?  I purchased the router - not theirs.  

THanks in advance and bear with me if I don't understand, try to be as simple as you can.  😉  

Model: C7000-1AZNAS|Nighthawk AC1900 WiFi Cable Modem Router
Message 1 of 28
plemans
Guru

This would be the forum for your device:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Cable-Modems-Routers/bd-p/home-cable-modems-routers

When you repost there, make sure to include:

1. a screen snip of your modem connections page and your logs.

2. You're paying for 20/5 speeds or are you paying for more and thats what you're getting? 

3. Make sure you're testing over a hardwired connection. Wireless needs different troubleshooting so focus on first getting the proper speeds to your modem/router. 

Message 2 of 28
FURRYe38
Guru

As suggested, speed test the the modem with a wired PC. Also remove any coax cable line splitters in between the modem and ISP service box as these can cause some problems. Have the ISP check and confirm signal and line quality up to the modem. 

@andreah1 wrote:

Forgive me if I'm posting in the wrong place - not technologically advanced, just trying to fix a problem.  For the past week or two have noticed internet speed choppiness, especially on my desktop.  I have done a speed test and looks to be what I should be getting 20 down 5 up.  I just reset the router and notice my upstream and downstream (had to look them up) are amber.  Would that be part of the issue?  Is there something I can do to fix this?  Or is it something that Spectrum would have to handle?  I purchased the router - not theirs.  

THanks in advance and bear with me if I don't understand, try to be as simple as you can.  😉  

Message 3 of 28
andreah1
Apprentice

I did do all that and now have posted in the correct forum (no replies yet darn it).  The amber lights are gone but the downstream is now constantly blinking green and internet is choppy.  Spectrum checked everything on their end and said the signal is excellent.  So it's got to be the router but I don't know what to do.  

Message 4 of 28
FURRYe38
Guru

Reset the modem. Press the reset button for 15 seconds then release. Setup the modem from scratch. 

Message 5 of 28
andreah1
Apprentice

Ok, just did a reset and started from scratch which wasn't as bad as I expected, just had to go in and change passwords back to what they were.  Made no difference.  Still flashing downstream and the 2.5 and 5G lights periodically flash (so does the wifi but not as often).  Any other suggestions before I start looking for a new modem?  Pretty bummed that an almost 200 dollar modem is possibly going bad after 18 months.  I did go outside and look at all the connections on the house, nothing looks worn, rusted, etc.  Everything was tight.  

Not sure if it matters but we live pretty rural (lucky as heck to even have spectrum as there are only 3 houses on the road), wasn't sure if it made a difference or not.  As I said above I did post in the "correct" forum but still no help there.  I'd REALLY like to get this figured out.  Thanks so much!

Message 6 of 28
FURRYe38
Guru

Contact the ISP and have them check the signal and quality up to the modem. See if they notice anything on there side. 

Message 7 of 28
andreah1
Apprentice

I have already done that as well.  They found nothing on their end and said the router looks to be going bad (not sure how they'd know that).  

Message 8 of 28
FURRYe38
Guru

Try something else or similar to what you have and see if the problem continues.

Message 9 of 28
andreah1
Apprentice

I've got a c3700 - and asking but I honestly don't know (common sense says the answer is yes) - do I have to contact spectrum to activate it?  Can I ask them to have both active right now to be able to test?

Message 10 of 28
andreah1
Apprentice

Also, FYI - I have their Ubee modem (for phone service) hooked up and no issues.  

Message 11 of 28
FURRYe38
Guru

Then if you tired something different and that works, I presume the C modem maybe faulty. Something to contact NG about to see if maybe they can RMA and replace it. 

Message 12 of 28
andreah1
Apprentice

Thanks Furrye38 - I did try the other modem I have but wondering if it has to be actually receiving service from Spectrum in order to get a true idea of it it's working normally or not?  I don't want to look into another one unless I know for sure.  

In regards to contacting Netgear, it's out of warranty by 6 months.  😞  Their website gives me NO option to contact because of that, only sends me to the community for help.  Would they still help me out with it being out of warranty?  I feel the thing shouldn't have "died" so quickly.  Do you happen to know a contact number or email?

Message 13 of 28
FURRYe38
Guru

Yes it would need to be recieving services from the ISP to confirm that EVERYTHING is working. 

Do you have a friend, family or nieghbor that you could take the C modem to to see if it works at a different location? This would be one way to check it.

Can contact one of the forum moderators to see what kind of options you have for your C7000.

@vkdelta 

Message 14 of 28
andreah1
Apprentice

I don't have anyone close that I can think of to take it and verify it.  And sort of same thing as I asked before - if I DID take it to someone else's house to test it, would it have to be activated thru their ISP?  I don't know of someone, even family that would be willing to do that even though it's a 5 minute deal with an online chat.  I'M willing to do it, ha ha.  

Hoping the moderator you tagged may be able to jump in and help.  IF I have to buy a new modem myself I'd prefer to do it quickly while there are cyber week deals going on.  Wouldn't mind some recommendations for long range modems at a cheap price as we can't afford to pop out another almost 200 bucks for something that lasts 18 months.  

Spectrum did tell me they've been seeing a lot of issues with this particular modem.  

I appreciate you helping me out, googling shows me it's not a strange issue but don't seem to see any good answers that might solve it.  I'm hoping to **bleep** the problem before we end up with no internet at all. 

Message 15 of 28
FURRYe38
Guru

Yes, it would need to be activated on ones ISP service to check out if the system is fully functional on there ISP service. 

You might send the moderator a PM and make contact. 

Message 16 of 28
andreah1
Apprentice

I'll send a message....thanks.  I may try asking spectrum to activate the other modem I have tonight just to see what the outcome is.  The ubee from spectrum is working fine, just the netgear doing all the flashing, etc.  

Message 17 of 28
FURRYe38
Guru

Let us know how it goes. 

Message 18 of 28
andreah1
Apprentice

Will do, don't hold much hope, that moderator hasn't been online since the middle of November.  😞  

Message 19 of 28
FURRYe38
Guru

Try @Christian_R or @Blanca_O as well. 

Message 20 of 28
andreah1
Apprentice

Quick update - Blanca has answered my PM, hoping she will be able to help.  I also called Spectrum, deactivated the c7000 and activated a c3700 to test and there were no blinking lights or issues so I have to assume that means it's the modem/router (c7000)?  That really bums me out because it's not old in any sense.  I assume netgear won't help as it's out of warranty....do I dare buy a refurbed one from Amazon or should I go a completely different route?  This one has a good extended range, really need something that will do the same in that sense.  

Message 21 of 28
FURRYe38
Guru

Ok, so that seems to verify the C7000 isn't working correctly with the other router that does work. 

Wait to see what Blanca has to say. Hopeing maybe there could be some releif for you. 

So this brings me to suggest that in most cases these all in one combo units are generally good. However when things like this happen, it seems to take the entire combo down and thus users can be left with out any access. So on the other side of the fench, some of us, use separated units, i.e. modem only units connected to a external WiFi router. This gives users a bit more control and should something happen to either unit, it's fairly easy to trouble shoot and figure out where the problem is. And in most cases both units don't go down at the same time either. So should the external router fail, you still have some means to get internet access thru the modem until the external router is fixed or replaced. Also your external router is not at the mercy of the ISP for FW updates. These are user controllable and installable. The modems FW does still have to come from the ISP. 

So there is something to consider and review. 

Should you get something from NG in regards to a RMA with the C7000, you can turn this into a modem only, then connect up a external router and maybe a wifi extender, like a EX7000 or EX7700 to help with some wifi coverage. You could use this new configuration while keeping the C7000 in modem mode only. And as a last resort, should something happen to the external router you could re-configure the C7000 back to router mode until you got the external router fixed or replaced should something happen. The C7000 would be your back up router. Just an idea. 

I have a C7800 modem router as well. Worked well for the time frame I had it online. Then configured it to a modem only and ran it for a while longer. I just recently put a different modem online for my needs here. 

Hoping some thing good will come about for you. 

Message 22 of 28
andreah1
Apprentice

Thanks for the suggestions!  Hoping to hear back from Blanca soon - had to send logs, etc. but had a hard time as some were very large and apparently can't attach in a pm so was just copying and pasting and didn't look too great.  Hoping she didn't give up.  😞  I would love Netgear to step up and offer to replace (even with a refurb) but not holding my breath.  

Have to admit my brain was jumbled reading what you said to do, while it pretty much makes sense, doing it is a whole other ball game.  I'm not too good at this stuff.  I had thought about turning my c3700 into an extender (can I do that?) but gave up because not sure how to do it.  I also have an older plain router but again not sure what to do.  In my house LESS is better, don't like the jumble of wires and or having to plug in numerous things.  And of course we want to extend both ways as on one side of our house is an unattached garage and the other side down a ways is a chicken coop (yup!) that I'd love to put a couple wireless cameras in but it doesn't extend too great that way.  

If Blanca doesn't answer today or tomorrow I'm going to have to get something before this one completely dies on me.  Do you (or anyone) have any suggestions of a combo unit that is well under 150 bucks that might have some good long range extension?  I'm still considering purchasing a refab c7000 on amazon as it was only around 80 bucks if I remember correctly.  Are Arris's any good?  REALLY want to grab something this week as cyber sales are still going but I guess as it gets closer to Christmas companies will have good sales as well.

Just want to get this issue over with!  😉   

BTW - not sure, but is the Ubee that spectrum gave me for the phone capable of running internet too and wireless?  I just liked having the two separate for kind of the same reason you mentioned...if one died I could probably tie into the other.

Message 23 of 28
FURRYe38
Guru

No. C series modems can only work as gatway routers or in modem mode only. 

If you got something like a EX 7 series extender you wont have to wire connect these to the host router. They wirelessly connect to the host router and provide additional coverage. You could add one to your next modem router combo unit. 

You'll need to go with what your ISP support as far as modems. What you might want to do is use one of there modem only units that may have just phone support then connect up a external router to this modem as another idea. 

Message 24 of 28
andreah1
Apprentice

Back with a (non) update - still no luck, vkdelta is really putting in alot of effort in trying to help and I certainly appreciate that!  From what I gather so far, there is an issue in the logs but not sure what.  I'm just about done trying to figure it out and just want to get something else ordered.  

How does anyone feel about refurbs?  I can get another c7000 for half the price on amazon (refurbed) which seems like a great deal but wasn't sure.  I've had other refurbed products in the past that have performed well, didn't know if routers fall into the "good" category.  🙂  Anyone willing to give me some recommendations?  Don't care brand-wise at this point, mainly just something long range, cable modem/router with wifi combo.  

ANY help would be great, thanks as always!

Message 25 of 28
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 27 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7