Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

C7000 Readyshare not working on Macbook, Xbox One - WD 1TB My Passport

blizzzzzzzzzard
Follower

C7000 Readyshare not working on Macbook, Xbox One - WD 1TB My Passport

C7000 Nighthawk cable modem and router

2008 Macbook with latest El Capitan update, 10.11.4, 5ghz WiFi connection to router

Xbox One, cat5e ethernet cable connection to router

1 TB WD My Passport, Fat

I wasn't really that interested in NAS unitl I got my Nighthawk.  The Readyshare feature is so heavily advertised as a simple plug and play solution for network storage, I thought, "why not, this should be simple enough." So I picked up a $50 1TB portable, transferred to 150GB of baby pictures and videos, and gave it a shot. As it turns out, it's anything but.

The HD works fine when plugged into my Macbook and Xbox directly, all files are accounted for and playable. However, when I plug it into the Nighthawk it only works for about 5 minutes. For example: after plugging in the hard drive and configuring all the settings through the router's IP, I can access all files and have full read/write permissions through my Macbook. Until the computer goes to sleep. Once the computer goes to sleep, or I stop using it for 30 minutes, the network storage disconnects and refuses to accept my credentials when I try to re-login. In order to use it again through my Macbook I have to login to router, reconfigure the USB settings, and log back into the storage.

My Xbox has a similar issue as the Macbook. After plugging in the HD and configuring the settings it will show about 10% of what should be available on the Xbox, only pictures though, no videos show up. After 5-10 minutes the Readyshare DLNA will still be available, but when selected it says, "No Files Found."

Any help would be very much appreciated as this "simple undertaking" has been nothing but frustrating and disastisfying.

Model: C7000|Nighthawk - AC1900 WiFi Cable Modem Router
Message 1 of 5
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Re: C7000 Readyshare not working on Macbook, Xbox One - WD 1TB My Passport

Hello Blizzard 

Before putting files onto the drive did you format the drive it could be some software that is preloaded on the drive that could be causing the issues.

DarrenM

Message 2 of 5
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Blizzard 

Another question do you know how many files are on that drive I know there can be a limit of the number of files.

DarrenM

Message 3 of 5
foxinsox60
Aspirant

Hi DarrenM, do you know what the limit is to how much can be shared across Readyshare? Also, is the formatting or software preloaded on the drive having issue with the router or the computer accessing it? Thanks! 

Message 4 of 5
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Hello foxinsox60

There should be no limit on how much you can share and preloaded software can be a issue so you do want to make sure you have formatted the drive before setting it up with Readyshare.

DarrenM

Message 5 of 5
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7