Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: C7000 slow speeds

Carlsonic
Tutor

C7000 slow speeds

I have a C7000 modem/router. I suscribe to Spectrum internet, supposed to get 100 Mbs downloads. Speed tests consistently show 22-24 Mbps down, wired and wireless from multiple devices. I contacted Spectrum about this 3x, each time the tech tells me the C7000 only supports 20 Mbps. I can't find any documentation to support that - but I also can't find anything that disputes it. I've done a factory reset, nothing changes speed test results.

I've seen posts that said contacting NetGear support might help resolve. My router/modem is no longer under warranty support. Is there any other suggestions for resolution other than paying for support?

Model: C7000|Nighthawk - AC1900 WiFi Cable Modem Router
Message 1 of 7
cajunkitty
Aspirant

I have the same set up and I get over 100. I pay for 100.
Message 2 of 7
vkdelta
NETGEAR Expert

C7000 on spectrum supports 300+ Mbps service

how are you testing speed (on which website)? Have you checked wired speeds? do they look? what tool do you use to do speed test? 

Message 3 of 7
Carlsonic
Tutor

I did speed tests on Spectrum's site and speedtest.net from my computer, wireless. I used a speed test app on my phone, and used the speed test function on my PS4 (wired). All devices / sites resulted in the same speeds.

Message 4 of 7
Carlsonic
Tutor

Update:

I got a new modem and router from Spectrum. I installed them and did a speed test - and was getting up to 80 Mbps down, 10 mbps up.

I uninstalled those devices, reattched my C7000, and saw speeds back down to 24 Mbps. I was working with Spectrum techs, they noticed some errors when pinging my modem, and are sending out a tech to investigate....

Message 5 of 7
80sRocker
Tutor

Interested...  I had the same setup with spectrum, and I wasn't even getting 5mb down.  Yup, not even 5 whole mbps.  I have the 400mb spectrum speed offering.   I'd like to know what your tech determines.

Message 6 of 7
Carlsonic
Tutor

Good news - the "problem" is now resolved. The tech came out this morning, and I explained the whole story (just fyi, he worked for another company that Spectum sub-contracts work to). First thing he does is call Spectrum support, the first thing the Spectrum guy says is "we don't troubleshoot customer owned hardware". I tell him it's not my gear he's looking at, another Spectrum tech noticed line errors, which is why the dispatched a service tech in the first place. Spectrum tech says hold on..and a minute later tells us to do a test....and what do you know, instantly getting well over 100 Mbps.

Bottom line - the C7000 is a great device, and capable of 400 Mbps down (I got that from a NetGear tech on a phone call). As I had suspected all along, Spectrum had some configuration setting wrong on thier end. If you see similar issues, I highly reccomend you keep pushing with Spectrum to resolve - ask to have your case escalated to a higher-tiered support group and make them actually troubleshoot the issue, not just reccomend swapping out to Spectrum provided gear.

Message 7 of 7
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7