Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

C7000V2 Upgraded Xfinity internet speed

wpy0811
Guide

C7000V2 Upgraded Xfinity internet speed

I recently upgraded my Xfinity internet plan from 400 mbps to 600 mbps, however, I’m not getting a faster speed after the upgrade.
I used to get around 200-250mbps download when I was in the 400 mbps, now after upgraded to the 600 mbps plan, I’m still getting the similar results of 200-250 mbps.

I have checked with Xfinity and they confirmed that everything is fine on their end. I have also factory reseted the modem, but still only getting 200-250 mbps.

I would appreciate it if someone can help!
Message 1 of 18
plemans
Guru

Re: C7000V2 Upgraded Xfinity internet speed

Are you testing over wired or over wireless?

You won't see close to 600mbps over a wireless connection.

Message 2 of 18
wpy0811
Guide

Thank you for the reply
I was using the wireless as I did not have Ethernet devices at home at the moment. I will see if I can get a device connected to Ethernet today.

I totally understand it’s “Up to” 600, so I will probably not see 600. But the test speed I’m getting is the same as the speed before I upgraded to 600, it’s the same as the speed when I was under the 400 plan
Message 3 of 18
plemans
Guru

The max wireless speed you'll probably see out of the C7000 is roughly 300+mpbs. (around that area)

Modem/router combo devices have to split their power budget between the router and the modem and so the actual router has less capabilities as a matching AC1900 device that is router only. Rough equivalent is the R7000 and that'd hit 400mbps (ish) when testing with a decent phone/laptop. 

If you've only got wireless devices, upgrading from 400 to 600mbps isn't going to do you much good. 

Message 4 of 18
wpy0811
Guide

Oh I don’t know that…
But I checked the configuration and for 5 G it gets up to 1.3kbps
Xfinity also allows me to use their xFi gateway for free. Will swapping with xFi get me a faster speed?
Message 5 of 18
plemans
Guru

its 1.3gig per second. But thats over a 3x3 antenna connection. And that's only link speed, not actual throughput speed. 

A 1x1 device is only going to connect at 433mbps and a 2x2 device at 866mbps max. And again, thats the link speed. Actual throughput tends to be around 55-65% of link speed. 

Message 6 of 18
wpy0811
Guide

Thank you for the reply.

I will try using hardwire to test the speed. If I’m getting similar results or not closer to 600 mbps, can I assume that’s due to the limitation of my C7000V2 as you suggested?

I just got the xFi from Xfinity and will swap with my C7000V2 if things are not getting better.
Message 7 of 18
plemans
Guru

The XB7/XB* might have a bit more performance as their wireless AX devices and almost 7-8 years newer. The question comes down to if your router is the bottleneck or the device you're testing on. 

Message 8 of 18
wpy0811
Guide

I was using my old iPhone 8plus and my wife’s iPhone X and the newest iPad Pro, they all gave me similar results, and same results when I used my old MacBook Air
Message 9 of 18
plemans
Guru

they should all see a little bump as the XB7/8 are significantly newer and have upgraded wireless and cpu. The AX devices will see a quite nice bump in speeds as well

Message 10 of 18
wpy0811
Guide

Sorry I don’t have enough knowledge on routers.
are you referring to the Xfinity xFi for XB7/8? what about AX device?

Thanks!
Message 11 of 18
plemans
Guru

yes. 

Xfinity's latest routers are the xb7 and xb8. Both are AX devices and pretty good performers 

And being from the latest decade helps 🙂

like I said, the C7000 is getting a bit older being last generations tech and only docsis 3.0 devices. 

Message 12 of 18
wpy0811
Guide

Thank you!
I will swap with xFi and hopefully I will see some improvement.

I really appreciate your help!
Message 13 of 18
wpy0811
Guide

I have another question.
I have swapped with the Xfinity xFi now, and they told me this is an advanced modem so it will automatically select the bandwidth(2.4 or 5), and I can’t manually select which one to connect.
I watch NBA streaming most of the time using the internet, and I noticed that, today after swapping with xFi, sometimes the stream pause and resume, and had glitching sometimes. I assume it’s because it’s switching between the bandwidth?
If that’s the case, and since this xFi modem I can’t manually select which bandwidth to use, can I disable the 2.4 GHz and only enable the 5 GHz? I live in an small apartment, so I think I will be using 5 Ghz more, cuz I don’t need a wider coverage. I need the speed instead of coverage.

Before, when I was using the C7000V2, I get to separate the 2.4 and 5, and get to choose which to connect, and I have always been using the 5 GHz only.

Thank you
Message 14 of 18

@wpy0811 wrote:

I have swapped with the Xfinity xFi now, and they told me this is an advanced modem so it will automatically select the bandwidth(2.4 or 5), and I can’t manually select which one to connect.

I assume that we are talking about wifi clients connecting to the wifi from the modem/router.

If so, it is down to the clients to connect to the best wifi band. It isn't something that you can change on the router bit of the modem/router.

I watch NBA streaming most of the time using the internet, and I noticed that, today after swapping with xFi, sometimes the stream pause and resume, and had glitching sometimes. I assume it’s because it’s switching between the bandwidth?

Unlikely. Again, it is up to the unnamed wifi client, the thing you use to watch NBA, to make and maintain the wifi connection.

What does "after swapping with xFi" mean? You have changed to a different modem/router? If so, try asking for help over where they support this new modem/router.

Message 15 of 18
wpy0811
Guide

Hi
So I before I swap with Xfinity xFi modem, I was using the Netgear C7000V2, and it allows me to separate the 2.4 GHz and the 5 GHz, so I get to choose which one to connect. I can see two wifi to select. I.e. ABC-2.4Ghz and ABC-5Ghz.

But now using the xFi, it’s saying that the modem automatically select the bandwidth to help optimize your home network and provide the best performance possible.
when I logged in to the admin tool. I can not change it from Automatic to Manual, but I do have an option to disable the 2.4Ghz and only enable the 5 Ghz.
That’s why i was asking if I can do that in order to use the 5Ghz only so that it won’t switch between 2.4 and 5 when I’m watching NBA and causing the delay/glitch.
Message 16 of 18

@wpy0811 wrote:
So I before I swap with Xfinity xFi modem, I was using the Netgear C7000V2, and it allows me to separate the 2.4 GHz and the 5 GHz, so I get to choose which one to connect. I can see two wifi to select. I.e. ABC-2.4Ghz and ABC-5Ghz.

Many Netgear routers have a "smart" feature that combines 2.4 and 5 GHz into a single SSID.You can then do go in and disable that.

Netgear's Orbi range is Mesh technology, which removed this "split" feature.

Maybe your Xfinity xFi modem/router is similar.

That’s why i was asking if I can do that in order to use the 5Ghz only so that it won’t switch between 2.4 and 5 when I’m watching NBA and causing the delay/glitch.

Ask the people who made this modem/router. It isn't something that will be familiar to people in a Netgear community.

Message 17 of 18
wpy0811
Guide

Ok!
Thank you all for the help
Message 18 of 18
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 17 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 3 in conversation