Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

C7000v2 Daily Slowdown

Sweedenburg
Aspirant

C7000v2 Daily Slowdown

I've read so many posts about the c7000's that didn't work properly out of the box, or that ultimately had issues with ISP service (account-wise, or physical lines) but none that I can find have my specific issue.

I've had Comcast in northern Indiana for years now, and their modem/router combos have always worked well enough, but I wanted to switch to Netgear in order to stop paying long term rental fees.  I had great service with their hardware (~700 down, ~25 up).  For awhile after I started using my Nighthawk combo I had great service and everything seemed to be running the same.  A month or so ago I noticed streaming services on the living room tv (through a heavy wall, over wifi, but never issues before) were so slow that both Netflix and Youtube were lowering my quality.  Running speedtest (as well as Fast, and a few others) showed around 15 down, 20 up.  I even got tests that showed 8 down, and 25 up with expected low ping.  Factory reset was my final option after tweaking settings for days, and it seemed to work.  A week or two later, and now I'm having to reboot my c7000v2 on a daily basis.  With no one home and very little traffic over the network, I'll come home to speedtest results in the 10-20 down range, but the issue is immediately cleared up upon reboot...for a matter of hours or a day.  Channel 4 on my connection info shows 2810 correctable/14609 uncorrectable and every channel has 3.1-4.1 dBmV.  I checked all the ports from the pole, all the way to the modem and they all clearly work because a restart will get me back up to 6-700 down.  Am I just missing a key part of the setup or maintenance, or is this combo just as sketchy as it seems?

Model: C7000|Nighthawk - AC1900 WiFi Cable Modem Router
Message 1 of 8
plemans
Guru

Re: C7000v2 Daily Slowdown

do you have the rest of the cable connection (rest of the downstream and then the upstream info) info as well as your logs? 

the cable connection is just a snip in time. The logs will show us longer term issues. 

Message 2 of 8
Sweedenburg
Aspirant

The inability to attach multiple images to a post or reply is incredibly frustrating.

Message 3 of 8
Sweedenburg
Aspirant

Message 4 of 8
plemans
Guru

Thats the router side logs. There should be modem logs showing the connection back to the isp

Message 5 of 8
Sweedenburg
Aspirant

The only other thing I see is under Event Logs.
Message 6 of 8
plemans
Guru

You do have a bit of errors and quite frequent t3 errors.

I'd check your line for splitters, amplifiers, or attenautors in line. If so, remove them. 

Also check the cable for loose connectors, bad/cheap connectors, bad/cheap cable, kinks/damage to the cabled. 
prefereably, move the modem to right where the coax enters the home to prevent damaged wiring within the walls being the issue. 

If none of that helps, have the isp check the line. 

Message 7 of 8
Sweedenburg
Aspirant

I put new ends on the cable that runs directly from the inlet box on the side of the house (no change) but it does run pretty far around the house (maybe 100ft). Do those errors cause speeds to slow over time? I can definitely reboot and get the full 700 down, but it doesn't last more than a few hours or a day.
Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7