Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

C7000v2 Slow Speeds Using Keyword Blocking

Gooch20
Aspirant

C7000v2 Slow Speeds Using Keyword Blocking

After hours of troubleshooting with my ISP and Netgear, I finally figured out why I was only get 100 Mbps max download (wired) while paying for 150 Mbps.  It was Keyword Blocking.  Netgear didn't figure that out, but they had me do a factory reset which of course disabled that feature.  I set up the device again and did speed tests after every change to find the culprit.  This was all on day one with the new device.

Oh, and the feature also destroyed my wireless speeds.  I was lucky to get 30 Mbps.  I get 150+ now.

This is very disappointing, as I want to use keyboard blocking as a secondary way (in addition to OpenDNS) to block certain garbage from getting into my house.  My previous Netgear device, an R6230, had no issues using keyword blocking.  Speed was fine.  I used the exact same keywords.

I've done many tests, turning the feature and off with multiple speed checks, and having the feature enabled consistently hammers download performance.

Sure looks like a bug to me, or hardware that lacks the processing power to do the job while maintaining speed.  Which, by the way, is much slower than it's maximum rating of 500 Mbps for my ISP.

Firmware Version

V1.03.01
Model: C7000|Nighthawk - AC1900 WiFi Cable Modem Router
Message 1 of 1
Discussion stats
  • 0 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 1 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7