Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: C7000v2 Slow USB Throughput

Vaalko
Aspirant

C7000v2 Slow USB Throughput

Greetings,

I have a C7000v2 - Nighthawk AC1900 WiFi Cable Modem Router that has a Netgear approved usb HDD(not self powered) connected to the rear USB port.  I use the HDD for a media server that works great for most uses.  I have a 1yo samsung 4K smart tv connected to the router via cable- Regular movies run fine on all devices, however, the 4K movies often lock up on the wire connected 4k TV.  If I plug the HDD directly to the TV the 4K files run fine.

1. yes the cable modem has the latest firmware

2. yes I have done a factory reset after firmware update

3. Latest version high quality 6' cable between modem/router and tv

The one problem I am hoping to resolve is the seamingly slow throughput of the router even though its all wire connected.  Any solutions??

TYIA--Vaalko

Model: C7000|Nighthawk - AC1900 WiFi Cable Modem Router
Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
FURRYe38
Guru

I would guess that the USB port on the modem may not be supporting of high bandwidth data flow which 4K is. 

USB 2.0 port is what is supported on the modem. If the port was USB 3.0/1 then this would probably not be a problem. 

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 4

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

I would guess that the USB port on the modem may not be supporting of high bandwidth data flow which 4K is. 

USB 2.0 port is what is supported on the modem. If the port was USB 3.0/1 then this would probably not be a problem. 

Message 2 of 4
Vaalko
Aspirant

Ugh... I thought i covered the obvious but clearly not.  I am sure you are correct, thank you for your input.

V

Message 3 of 4
FURRYe38
Guru

I know USB can be problematic at times. For the most part USB is ok for smaller bandwidth streaming and such. If your looking for long term solutions for higher bandwidth streaming, I would highly recommend getting into a wired NAS device. Wired will be always better than USB2.0 and lesser. USB 3.0 is a major inprovement. However wired will always have great bandwidth handling abilities over USB IMO. NAS units are flexible and fairly easy to setup and handle video streaming and such. I've been using NAS for years now for video streams. Thought I haven't checked 4K as of yet since I don't have anything 4K supporting currently. Something to review and consider. 

Good Luck. 

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7