Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

C7000v2 Slow internet speed

Dorph54
Guide

C7000v2 Slow internet speed

Hi.  I'm having an issue that has been discussed, I know, but it's regarding slow internet speeds.  I've read and tryed some of those solutions. I have the NIghthawk AC1900 C7000v2 DOCSiS 3.0.  My ISP is Comcast and I've spoken with them at length.  I had upgraded to their 600mbps speed, ran tests over the phone with Comcast, then had a Tech come to the house.  He checked all fittings and cables.  He took off several unused coax connections to the house splitter (to reduce noise) and connected just the single house cable, then checked his meter and found everything good.  But, my speeds were still slow on my Nighthawk.  The 2.4 is about 40mbps and 5.0 - 160.  He then installed the new Comcast XB7 (3.1 DOCSIS) and the speed on my pc was about 560!  I reconnected the Nighthhawk, went in the modem settings and played around with the channels which uppped the speeds to about 66 and 233 respectively.  This Nighthawk is ranged for 960mbps and should be giving me more speed that this, right?  Since I'm out of Netgear warranty (it's only a little over a year old), they want $50 - $200 for tech support which I don't want to pay as I think I'd be wasting money and time.  I looked at my modem settings; ran tests and scans, and changed the channels.  I was also able to see that I was basically alone on the network channel in my neighborhood.  I have about 18 devices on the 2.4; mostly smart switches/recepticles and similars, so I don't think they'd be using a lot of bandwidth.  The firmware is current.  Should I dump this modem for the XB7, or is there another solution to giddy-up the Nighthawk?  I'm just concerned that the XB7 has only one frequency.

Model: C7000|Nighthawk - AC1900 WiFi Cable Modem Router
Message 1 of 14
plemans
Guru

Re: C7000v2 Slow internet speed

You're comparing 2 different devices. 

The xb7 is a 2.5g capable modem/router combo device with wireless AC. it has a docsis 3.1 modem in it. 

the C7000 is a docsis 3.0 device that while has "up to 960mbps", comcast only rates it to 600mbps plans. 

Plus its a wireless AC device (wifi 5). 

both are AC devices but the XB7 is docsis 3.1.

What speeds do you get hardwired into your C7000? not wireless (as that's variable) but wired. 

Message 2 of 14
Dorph54
Guide

I don’t have the adapter for the MacBook that converts from usb to Ethernet, so no can do. Regardless, I think that the netgear modem/router should be able to achieve a speed greater than 66mbps wirelessly when my plan allows for 600, yes? I’m guess I’m just expecting something close to what the xb7 gave me wirelessly.
Message 3 of 14
plemans
Guru

@Dorph54 wrote:
I don’t have the adapter for the MacBook that converts from usb to Ethernet, so no can do.----You can buy them cheap or even borrow a laptop to test with.  Regardless,-----Its not a regardless. Its pointless to troubleshoott wireless issues if you can't confirm the modem is actually hitting the speeds its supposed to.  I think that the netgear modem/router should be able to achieve a speed greater than 66mbps wirelessly when my plan allows for 600, yes?---It should. I've had one and hit significanlty faster speeds on it. As well as others have. Its why I said to test wired. this ensures both that the incoming line can handle it and that its provisioned properly.  
I’m guess I’m just expecting something close to what the xb7 gave me wirelessly.---I was researching the XB7 again and its a wifi 6 (wireless AX) router. It will have faster speeds. You're comparing a wifi 5 device to a wifi 6 device.  The XB7 is a AX3500 device versus an AC1900 device. 

Message 4 of 14
smithofalltrade
Initiate

im having the same issues with the slow speed on the c7000v2 i tested it on my wired conection on xbox 160Mbps on ps4 140Mbps wireless 5g 

i have xfinity gigabit speed internet (acording to them) 

and only had that speed during first few weeks of service

Message 5 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

What are speeds are you getting with a wired PC connected to the modem? 

Have the ISP check the signal and line quality UP to the modem. Be sure the ISP provisions the modem correctly.
Be sure there are no coax cable line splitters in the between the modem and ISP service box. 
Be sure your using good quality RG6 coax cable up to the modem. 
Be sure to power OFF the modem for 1 minute them back ON.
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Cable-Modems-Routers/General-info-and-Troubleshooting-for-Cable-Mod...

@smithofalltrade wrote:

im having the same issues with the slow speed on the c7000v2 i tested it on my wired conection on xbox 160Mbps on ps4 140Mbps wireless 5g 

Message 6 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

Also I'm wondering why our ISP allowed you to get a 1Gb plan since most ISP require a Docsis 3.1 modem which the C7000 is only 3.0. 

@smithofalltrade wrote:

Message 7 of 14
smithofalltrade
Initiate

i was on the phone today with comcast they told me they had no signal degradation to the modem 

they also told me they cant send configurations to a 3rd party device 

Message 8 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

Oh they can...there just not choosing to do so or someone at your ISP doesn't know what there doing. 

Some ISPs may also not update user bought modems as well. 

IF this is the case you might want to return the C7000 and get either a stand alone modem or get a modem from the ISP and then install you external wifi router that you can have more control over the FW upates. ISP don't control wifi router FW. 

Message 9 of 14
tarunsharma235
Aspirant

Hi I am facing the same issue, i just upgraded my speed to 600mbps plan and getting at max 250 wired and Wireless 5.0. Had a tech visit they checked all is good and now I am stuck what should I do any thoughts. Its a new C7000v2 Netgear modem so I can return it any recommendation on any other model which works well with Comcast GIG speed Thanks in advance 

Message 10 of 14
tarunsharma235
Aspirant

Were you able to solve this problem ?

Message 11 of 14
Dorph54
Guide

I have not been able to resolve it other than to rent the Comcast modem/router which I won’t do. I’ve heard there is some workaround, but you have to know or be a Comcast tech.
Message 12 of 14
tarunsharma235
Aspirant

Message 13 of 14
plemans
Guru

@tarunsharma235 Please start your own thread on here so we don't get your info mixed up with the OP. 

Thanks!

Message 14 of 14
Discussion stats
  • 13 replies
  • 10 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7