Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: C7000v2 WIFI on/off Button is Blinking Green

CJinVA
Guide

C7000v2 WIFI on/off Button is Blinking Green

All of a sudden yesterday I was getting very poor download speeds.  Then in the evening it was fine again.  It was fine this morning, but is now very slow again, IE 5MB/S.  It is usually about 140.  Anyway, the modem router is just past 1 year old--It figures.  the wifi on off button is blinking green.  Does that mean anything?  Yesterday items on line were dropping connection and then reconnecting fairly often.  thoughts?

Model: A7000|Nighthawk AC1900 WiFi USB Adapter - USB 3.0
Message 1 of 14
plemans
Guru

Do you have a screen snip of the cable connection page and logs? 

That helps check the connection back to the isp.

Is it all devices having issues, just wired devices, just wireless devices?

I've never heard of the wifi on/off button blinking. its usually on or off depending on what its set at. 

Message 2 of 14
CJinVA
Guide

I could not figure how to paste them into this reply, but the download channel info is attached.  The download light is blinking green which I think means it is searching for a channel.  Upload lilght is solid green.  Internet is solid green.  2.4 and 5 are blinking green but we have devices using both, and wifi on/off button is blinking green.  Cox said there are no packet drops and it must be me.  I am on a Windows 10 desktop.  Sometimes the impact seems to be worse than other times, but it seems to effect both wired and wireless items at its worst.

Message 3 of 14
CJinVA
Guide

The log is attached.

Message 4 of 14
CJinVA
Guide

Ignore this one.

Message 5 of 14
CJinVA
Guide

This are the most recent events from the event log.

Message 6 of 14
plemans
Guru

You need to check your line. your power it all over the place, channels aren't locked properly, and you have a ton of errors. 

Remove all splitters, attenuators, amplifiers from your line and directly connect the modem right where it enters the home. take a screen snip after doing that and repost it here. If its the same, then the isp needs to check your lines. 

Message 7 of 14
CJinVA
Guide

Guru,

OK, I will give that a shot.  Based on you knowledge, is it clear that it is not the modem/router, but that all the problems you mentioned are the lines?  I do have one splitter, but I will try and get a line that can go straight from the wall to the modem/router and see how things work after that.  I also don't know why it would see to work for months, and then not work all of a sudden.  In the past we have had problems with the box outside, and they "fixed" it about a year ago, but maybe it is faulty again.  Although don't know what it means when Cox say they have good signal and no packet drops.

Message 8 of 14
plemans
Guru

@CJinVA wrote:

Guru,

OK, I will give that a shot.  Based on you knowledge, is it clear that it is not the modem/router, but that all the problems you mentioned are the lines?  I do have one splitter, but I will try and get a line that can go straight from the wall to the modem/router and see how things work after that.  I also don't know why it would see to work for months, and then not work all of a sudden.  In the past we have had problems with the box outside, and they "fixed" it about a year ago, but maybe it is faulty again.  Although don't know what it means when Cox say they have good signal and no packet drops.

Is it for sure sure not the modem? no. There's always that chance. But in my experience that points to the line.

And they might have fixed it. And then while installing cable for someone else in the box, hit your line, loosened your connector. Its tough to say what caused it but your signal isn't good. 

Message 9 of 14
CJinVA
Guide

Uhh, I have tried to post a response twice, enclosing download connection info, but I can never see the response.  Don't know what is going on with that.

Message 10 of 14
CJinVA
Guide

OK, I have replaced the cable from the wall directly to the modem/router, bypassing the splitter that currently exists.

Speedtest before changing the cable:  7/147.32/4.81

Speedtest after changing the cable:  8/146.87/2.56

Speedtest 5 minutes later:  12/1.83/0

Speedtest at 2:26PM:  7/146.72/2.67

this site gives me an access denied error message any time I try to post with an enclosure of the download channel, log, and event log info.  But it all looks pretty much the same to me as the ones I attached before changing the cable.

Message 11 of 14
CJinVA
Guide

I am still getting similar results.  I used a different direct cable from the wall outlet, with no change.  Does that pretty much leave the outside line as the culprit and so it is a Cox problem?

Message 12 of 14
plemans
Guru

So its either bad modem or bad line. 

I'd be having the line checked first based off your numbers. 

Message 13 of 14
CJinVA
Guide

I had Cox come out about 19 May since they said after the most recent call that the line looked bad.  Things seem more stable now.  The download speed fluctuates, but basically stays above 100 MB/S and so I don't notice anything.  Here is what they did.

1.   Removed a “jumper” from the tap/green box just outside our back fence.
  2.   Added a “regulator” at the box attached to the outside of our house.  The regulator replaced at least one 4-way splitter, and possibly another 2-way splitter, in that box.
  3.   Added a transformer to the plug just inside the basement wall to give power to the regulator in the box attached to the house.  This would ensure that all the lines in the house coming from that box would be evenly distributed from that box with ample power—IE no loss from the splitter.
  4.   Added a filter on the cord that screws into the back of the modem router.  He also added a filter to the cord leaving the box attached to the house that goes to the main TV/contour box.  He did this after measuring each line in the house to see if they were good or if they failed.  He said it was to tamp down the signal a bit on those two lines.
Message 14 of 14
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 13 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7