Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

C7000v2 and Xfinity Internet Issues- Forced factory reset

C7000v2 and Xfinity Internet Issues- Forced factory reset

I am having the same issue as in this previous post, but a solution wasn't posted:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Cable-Modems-Routers/C7000v2-and-Xfinity-Internet-Issues-Have-to-fa...

My Nighthawk C7000v2 router/modem seems to reset, often returning to factory settings. This most frequently happens when I turn connect one of my laptops in particular, but sometimes it happens spontaneously. The laptop is an Acer with MIMO and is running the most current version of Windows 10. The C7000v2 is also up-to-date on firmware. I also am using Xfinity Internet.  

Any suggestions to resolve this? @tanderson2002us 

Model: C7000|Nighthawk - AC1900 WiFi Cable Modem Router
Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions

Re: C7000v2 and Xfinity Internet Issues- Forced factory reset

I think I solved the problem, at least I haven't had this happen in a couple of days. 

I live in an condo with many wifi networks, and the majority of them are on channel 1 for regular wifi and channel 149 for 5G. I used Acrylic Wifi to see at the networks so I could manually choose a channel that no one else was using. When the router was crashing, it would choose channels 1 and 149, even though it was supposed to automatically find an empty channel. 

Having a unique channel seems to have done the trick. 

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 5

All Replies
plemans
Guru

do you have a screen snip of your modem connections page? 

Any splitters, amplifiers, attenuators hooked to the coax line before the modem? if so, remove them.

Message 2 of 5

It is connected to a splitter, but honestly, the splitter is so well connected that I can't unconnect even with a wrench. My next step will be to directly plug it into the wall jack for the coaxial.

I went through troubleshooting with Xfinity three times, one automatically, twice on the phone. Each time, the problem got significantly worse as they conducted troubleshooting on my modem/router on their end, including resets and syncs. I switched the coaxial cable from my cable box (since it had clear HD picture with no errors) after the third troubleshoot led to cable connection failure for 1 hour. The cable connection came back online. The first two pages of the PDF is the cable connection log.

However, now it seems everytime I open a laptop to connect to the wifi, the wifi network goes down. The first time it went down for 1 minute then restored with Wifi and internet. The second time, it went up and down 3 times over 5 minutes, several times with wifi and no internet, then restored to factory defaults, eventually said cable connection "Good", then dropped wifi again, said "in progress" for cable connection. I captured this in the second two pages of the PDF.

Long story short: seems as though each time a new device connects when things are stable, the system crashes again. It is a major pain to plug the router directly into the wall, but if you think this is the correct troubleshooting step, I'll go and do that, but the fact this is always triggered by a device joining or reconnecting to the network makes it seem like a firmware bug.

Message 3 of 5
plemans
Guru

I don't think its a firmware bug. I think its probably a hardware problem. Is it still within warranty? 

Message 4 of 5

I think I solved the problem, at least I haven't had this happen in a couple of days. 

I live in an condo with many wifi networks, and the majority of them are on channel 1 for regular wifi and channel 149 for 5G. I used Acrylic Wifi to see at the networks so I could manually choose a channel that no one else was using. When the router was crashing, it would choose channels 1 and 149, even though it was supposed to automatically find an empty channel. 

Having a unique channel seems to have done the trick. 

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7