Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

C7000v2 has started dropping WiFi regularly, needs to be restarted often

kaiyoma
Aspirant

C7000v2 has started dropping WiFi regularly, needs to be restarted often

My C7000v2 has started misbehaving as of last night. What happens is that first the 5 GHz WiFi network disappears without warning, then a minute or two later the 2.4 GHz network disappears. At this point, I have to physically power cycle the gateway, which fixes the problem for a while. Then, anywhere from a few minutes to a few hours later, the same thing happens all over again. I checked the UI and I'm running the latest version of the firmware (V1.03.03).

I already tried changing the channels for both WiFi networks to channel numbers that are unused in my area. This seemed to help last night, but today the same WiFi drop just happened again. What else can I check here?

Model: C7000|Nighthawk - AC1900 WiFi Cable Modem Router
Message 1 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: C7000v2 has started dropping WiFi regularly, needs to be restarted often

Has a factory reset and setup from scratch been performed since last FW update?

Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and 40 to 48 channel on 5Ghz.

Netgear has set up a community forum specifically for the Cable Modem products. Might be more likely to find someone who has a solution if the question is posted there:
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Cable-Modems-Routers/bd-p/home-cable-modems-routers

Please use this link to the main forum product list to review and choose where to make your posts. 
https://community.netgear.com/t5/NETGEAR-Forum/ct-p/en-netgear

Thank you.

Message 2 of 7
kaiyoma
Aspirant

I don't know when the firmware was last updated (it's pushed by the ISP), but doing a factory reset is probably the next step here. I'll do that tonight. I'm already using channel 40 for the 5 GHz WiFi and that doesn't seem to be helping.

Message 3 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many? 

Message 4 of 7
kaiyoma
Aspirant

Yes, there are many other WiFi networks around (I live in an apartment building). I just checked the gateway's UI and I see eight 2.4 networks and eighteen 5 GHz networks. So, 26 total WiFi networks.

Message 5 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

Also try turning down the power output of the RBRs wifi radios from 100% to 50% and see if this changes anything. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

Message 6 of 7
kaiyoma
Aspirant

Wanted to give an update here. I did a factory reset on the gateway and that seems to have fixed the issues. I also removed my Android TV from the WiFi network and connected it via Ethernet, so that there's one less wireless device (this might make a big difference since the TV is doing the bulk of the streaming). I kept the WiFi channels the same as before and that seems to be fine. I have no idea why these problems happened out of nowhere, but it seems like a factory reset helps.

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7