Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

C7000v2 slow 2.4ghz band

ClaytonKSears
Aspirant

C7000v2 slow 2.4ghz band

Team: I just purchased a Nighthawk c7000v2 to replace my xfinity issued modem/router. For some reason, connecting to the 5ghz band leads to 160-180mbps speeds (per the plan) but connecting to the 2.4ghz band leads to sub 30mbps speeds. This is consistent across all devices (Apple products, Lenovo laptop, etc. ). Thoughts?
Message 1 of 3

Accepted Solutions
plemans
Guru

Re: C7000v2 slow 2.4ghz band

2.4ghz is inherently slower than what 5ghz is. 

It has slower speeds but it does transmit further and have better penetration.

5ghz is significantly faster but doesn't transmit as far or through as much stuff.

https://kb.netgear.com/29396/What-is-the-difference-between-2-4-GHz-and-5-GHz-wireless-frequencies

A lot also depends on your area. If you're in an area with a lot of 2.4ghz saturation (many routers broadcasting) your speeds are going to be slower over 2.4ghz.

You can try to change wifi channels to see if it'd help. Sometimes there's channels with less congestion that work better. I usually tell people to try channels 1-6-11. 

In my area, I have about 20-25+ 2.4ghz networks broadcasting that I can pick up. My speeds over 2.4ghz are usually 20-30mbps. I can occassionally get higher for brief periods (up to 80mbps) but its usually brief.  I've testing this with a multitude of devices/routers from multiple manufacturers. it basically makes 2.4ghz useless for anything other than low data transmissions. 

My 5ghz, I can routinely hit 500+mbps.  It just goes to show that because 2.4ghz transmits further, it interferes more. 

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 3

All Replies
plemans
Guru

2.4ghz is inherently slower than what 5ghz is. 

It has slower speeds but it does transmit further and have better penetration.

5ghz is significantly faster but doesn't transmit as far or through as much stuff.

https://kb.netgear.com/29396/What-is-the-difference-between-2-4-GHz-and-5-GHz-wireless-frequencies

A lot also depends on your area. If you're in an area with a lot of 2.4ghz saturation (many routers broadcasting) your speeds are going to be slower over 2.4ghz.

You can try to change wifi channels to see if it'd help. Sometimes there's channels with less congestion that work better. I usually tell people to try channels 1-6-11. 

In my area, I have about 20-25+ 2.4ghz networks broadcasting that I can pick up. My speeds over 2.4ghz are usually 20-30mbps. I can occassionally get higher for brief periods (up to 80mbps) but its usually brief.  I've testing this with a multitude of devices/routers from multiple manufacturers. it basically makes 2.4ghz useless for anything other than low data transmissions. 

My 5ghz, I can routinely hit 500+mbps.  It just goes to show that because 2.4ghz transmits further, it interferes more. 

Message 2 of 3
ClaytonKSears
Aspirant

Many thanks for your reply. This makes sense. 

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7