Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

C7100 V | Voice Choppines, Quality issues

yergg
Aspirant

C7100 V | Voice Choppines, Quality issues

Used this device to switch over my phone service to Comcast from Vonage.  I have always had Comcast cable internet (Blast+) and never had any quality issues with Vonage.  Ever since the switch over, the call quality is unusable.  The remote end can hear me just fine, but their voice is choppy and I only make out every other syllable at best.  

We've done the old "restart everything" routine, and even had a tech come out and replace connectors, which seems to have cleared up the issue long enough for him to get into his van and drive away.

I have no issues with the internet.  Speeds are fast, no issues with streaming or gaming.  

I have disabled SIP ALG but to no avail.

C7100V

Firmware 2.01.30

I am going to call for Comcast to come out and look again, however I am not sure that will do any good and I am wondering if it is the device itself.

Anyone ever had this issue with the C7100V and how can it be resolved.

Message 1 of 26

Accepted Solutions
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Re: C7100 V | Voice Choppines, Quality issues

The firmware was released by comcast today you may want to do a reboot on the modem by unplugging the power and powering back on so the modem will download the new firmware.

DarrenM

View solution in original post

Message 17 of 26

All Replies
SKK
Guide
Guide

I'm also facing similar issues and I was hoping that I can use QOS and prioritize my Vonage device.. but they don't have this feature enabled on this router.

Message 2 of 26
yergg
Aspirant

Just to clarify,  my issue isn't with Vonage, but with Comcast Voice.  Vonage did not experience this issue on my old modem.  Trying to find a solution fo rthe built in voice function of the C7100V.

Message 3 of 26
vkdelta
NETGEAR Expert

@yergg

Please PM me with your info. 

Message 4 of 26
jtj
Aspirant
Aspirant

I am having the exact problem with this Modem/Router and Comcast VOIP. Apparently there is a Firmware issue when the router tries to simultaneously connect multiple ethernet ports AND the phone jack. Unplug all cables but the phone line reset modem and see if the issue is resolved. If so, proves this theory.

Message 5 of 26
BZpbp
Tutor

I was ready to drop Comcast over this issue....when I discovered Comcast was not the problem..the problem is with the modem/router.  Comcast checked all wiring, then installed a separate voice only modem, and shazam, everything was fine.  The 7100v apparently has some conflict with voice and other operations.  Netgear said they wanted to work with me on the problem...I provided all my contact informaiton, and never heard from them.  I am stil lusing a separare voice only modem for calls....my 7100V is now a very expensive wireless router

Message 6 of 26
yergg
Aspirant

I received a unit with the Dev firmware yesterday and it appears to correct the issue. Tho will eventually be pushed out to Comcast customers, so you will be able to use the voice on the C7100v in the near future.
Message 7 of 26
NKumar
Aspirant

I am running into the same issues. Comcast came 3 times and didn't find any issue on their side. Netgear support sent a replacement modem but it still has the same issue. If you reboot, voice quality is good for couple of hours and it again goes bad. Not sure what i do ? How i receive the dev firmware since issue seems to be with netgear unit. Can i still return it ? Really frustated.

Message 8 of 26
RichPublic
Tutor

Is there any update on when this firmware will be available to other XFinity customers? I am still suffering with the same issue.
Message 9 of 26
RichPublic
Tutor

What was your secret to get them to respond to you?
Message 10 of 26
RichPublic
Tutor

Since Comcast has to push the firmware, has anyone had luck finding any support info through them? I’ve been searching but cannot find this model discussed on their support site.
Message 11 of 26
BZpbp
Tutor

They havent really responded yet....just asked for my contact info, after my posts I guess... but I havent heard anything

Message 12 of 26
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Hello everyone 

I have checked on this issue and we do have firmware to address the issues with voice quality right now it is going through certification with Comcast and I do not have a ETA on a release of that firmware.

DarrenM

Message 13 of 26
RichPublic
Tutor

Looks like this is in Comcast's hands now.  I started a thread on their support forums to see if we can get an update on when the firmware will be released to us.  https://forums.xfinity.com/t5/Devices-and-Equipment/Netgear-C7100V-Firmware-Update/m-p/3047195#M1030...

Message 14 of 26
NKumar
Aspirant

I would say we should report to state attorney general. I am doing it today. Netgear manufactored the product and not the comcast, they should be the one to make it work with comcast. I talked with Comcast, they said netgear need to approach us and work with us.

Message 15 of 26
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Hello Everyone

I have been informed that Comcast is planning to push the firmware with voice quality fixes on 2/28 if there is no issues or delays.

DarrenM

Message 16 of 26
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

The firmware was released by comcast today you may want to do a reboot on the modem by unplugging the power and powering back on so the modem will download the new firmware.

DarrenM

Message 17 of 26
BZpbp
Tutor

Interested to see what everyone thinks....does this firmware update solve the voice issue?  Please let me know...I don't want to go through the hassle of switching out my voice modem, only to have the same issue all over again.  Any input appreciated!

Message 18 of 26
yergg
Aspirant

I can confirm that the firmware update corrects the issue.  I was one of the early release testers that had a unit sent out with the new firmware.  Once Comcast pushes, the issue will be resolved.

Message 19 of 26
BZpbp
Tutor

Thanks...I rebooted today and the firmware update came through...will make the switch this weekend

Message 20 of 26
tjp15785
Aspirant

I rebooted and still have version 2.01.30 and am experiencing voice quality issues.  Is this the most current version, I called comcast and they were no help

Message 21 of 26
yergg
Aspirant

Can anyone confirm what the new firmware version number should be?

Message 22 of 26
yergg
Aspirant

@RichPublic  I just posted here.  🙂

Message 23 of 26
RichPublic
Tutor

I received firmware 2.01.33 on 02/28/2018 directly from Comcast and have had no voice issues since. It was automatically downloaded to my router.
Message 24 of 26
tjp15785
Aspirant

Got it, after the second reboot, I received the ......33 update. Voice issues resolved.
Message 25 of 26
Discussion stats
  • 25 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 9 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7