Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: C7100V cable modem/router will not recognize external USB device

SC_Stigmata
Tutor

C7100V cable modem/router will not recognize external USB device

Modem/Router doesn't recognize external HD.  This seems to be an issue with this model.  Previous solutions (replace until you get one that works) and power cycle (reset) and hope that works.  Any other suggestions would be welcomed.

Model: C7100V|Nighthawk AC1900 WiFi Cable Modem Router
Message 1 of 19
SC_Stigmata
Tutor

Tried to power cycle and that did nothing.  I am using a macOS 10.14.6 Mojavi.  Router firmware version is 2.01.42

Model: C7100V|Nighthawk AC1900 WiFi Cable Modem Router
Message 2 of 19
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the mfr and model of the external USB drive? 

Drive size? 

Does this drive have its own power source? 

Message 3 of 19
SC_Stigmata
Tutor

Hello,  I've tried two.  They are both WD My Passport.  Both are less than 3 years old.  One is a 1T and the other 2T.  Neither have their own power source.  They both are powered through the USB connection. That was one concern I had.  Maybe it requires external pwr.? 

Message 4 of 19
FURRYe38
Guru

Some larger sized drives need more port than what modems and routers can provide. 

However to test this out, find a small usb flash drive and connect it to the modem, is it seen by the modem at all? Anything from 8Gb to 64Gb usb flash drive should work.

Message 5 of 19
plemans
Guru

What format are they in? 

The router supports the following file system types for full read/write access:

• FAT16, FAT32
  • NTFS
  • NTFS with compression format enabled
  • Ext2, Ext3, Ext4
  • XFS
  • HFS
  • HFS+
Message 6 of 19
SC_Stigmata
Tutor

Well, that could be my problem.  The two HD's I tried are Mac OS Extended (Journaled).  The thumbdrive I tried (32 Gb) to make sure it wasn't a HD size issue is APFS.  I will try format a thumb drive with FAT16 or FAT32 and give it a try.  

Message 7 of 19
FURRYe38
Guru

Ya, Modems don't respond to Apple formatting. NTFS would be best and most compatible between the modem and Apple if you are using Apple PC platforms. 

Message 8 of 19
SC_Stigmata
Tutor

I will have to give that a try.  I found an old thumb drive that was FAT32.  I tried it and it still doesn't recognize it.   Maybe I need to do a reset with the thumb drive installed?  Other option would be to format the thumb drive with NTFS.  I should be able to do that on my work computer which runs Win 10.

Message 9 of 19
SC_Stigmata
Tutor

BTW, I just upgraded our old home network from an Aris 722 cable modem + Apple Airport Extreme wireless router which still works fine but compromises speed to the Netgear C7100V modem/router combo.  We still have and need for a landline so we needed a cable modem that had a landline port.  Rather than purchase a modem and router I decided to get the combo.  I also really wanted USB to run my back-up HD.  That is how we unded up in this space.

I'm willing to reformat the HD if necessay.  I just want to make sure it's working before I go that route.  I was hoping the thumb drive formated with FAT32 would immediately get recognized.  I will have to wait until early tomorrow morning to reset the modem.  

Message 10 of 19
FURRYe38
Guru

I would reboot or power OFF the modem with the thumb drive installed and formatter for NTFS. IF this doesn't work to fix this, then there is something wrong with the modem or FW thats not working to see a USB drive device. 

@vkdelta 

Message 11 of 19
SC_Stigmata
Tutor

I'll try that out tomorrow morning.  I have a thumb drive NTFS formated.  I'll power cycle it tomorrow morning and keep my fingers crossed.  I agree, if that doesn't work, I need Netgear to replace modem/router.  I'll post the outcome of the power cycle tomorrow morning.

Message 12 of 19
SC_Stigmata
Tutor

I formated the thumb drive NTFS.  Unfortunately, it is still not working.  Last option is the reboot/power cycle tomorrow morning.....

Message 13 of 19
FURRYe38
Guru

OK, let us know...

Message 14 of 19
SC_Stigmata
Tutor

Power cycling did not help.  I'm affraid these ports are non operable.  I have a ticket open with Netgear.  

Message 15 of 19
FURRYe38
Guru

Good, hopefully they can help you out. 

@vkdelta 

Message 16 of 19
SC_Stigmata
Tutor

Appreciate your suggestions.  We tried Smiley Happy

Message 17 of 19
SC_Stigmata
Tutor

No luck with NETGEAR technical support getting the USB ports to work.  Service ticket was closed by NETGEAR.  Part is defective.  Part was returned to retailer for refund.  

Message 18 of 19
FURRYe38
Guru

Thank you for letting us know.

Good Luck. 

Message 19 of 19
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 18 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation