Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: C7800 Access Denied / No Wifi firmware update

702dani
Guide

C7800 Access Denied / No Wifi firmware update

Bought the C7800 a few days ago. Connected, setup - worked great for a few days with Xfinity 1GB plan. The app said “firmware out of date” and to login to admin to update, but there was no option. Support said ISP updates the firmware. Current firmware run is V3.01.43. Power cycled the unit about 5 times, nothing. Cable connection shows Aquire Downstream Channel - Locked, Connectivity State - Access Denied. I called Xfinity and they can see the modem online and set up correctly, but have no answer to why it is not working. When I logged into admin (Netgear genie) it said firmware updating, but then disappeared.
A day later and neither Xfinity nor Netgear tech can figure out what is wrong. Help please!
Model: C7800|Nighthawk X4S-AC3200 WiFi Cable Modem Router
Message 1 of 19
plemans
Guru

The firmware for the C7800 is built into the partitioning file from the ISP when the set it up. so they one they have, is the one you'll get.

To try to get it working, try this. 

Disconnect everything from the C7800 including the coax cable. (leave the power cable)

While powered on, push and hold reset for up to 30 seconds. let it reboot. 

Once fully rebooted (all light stablized), then power it down, wait 2 minutes, connect the coax to it, and power it back on. 

Wait a couple minutes for it to fully boot. 

then attempt to access/set it up. 

Message 2 of 19
702dani
Guide

Thank you for the advice! It did not work. Unfortunately it is the same, bit sure if it has to do with the file from the ISP. But it is locked on downstream and shows Connectivity - Access Denied. Xfinity tech support says they can see the modem online. However the Nighthawk app still says “Firmware out of date” (it always has, though, even when it was working perfectly. I am wondering if Xfinity is just not compatible with this model?
Message 3 of 19
plemans
Guru

Xfinity is compatible with that model. I've used it on xfinity before. 

Ignore the "firmware out of date" notice. Genie is horrible at sending that notice. and the .43 is the current one for xfinity. 

https://kb.netgear.com/000036375/What-s-the-latest-firmware-version-of-my-NETGEAR-cable-modem-or-mod...

You're able to log into it fine? 

Do you still have your old modem? 

Try reactivating that to the account. Then switch back to the c7800. 

Message 4 of 19
702dani
Guide

Thanks! Tried and nothing.

Switched everything back to old xFi gateway - worked.
Then tried to setup the Nighthawk and got the same problem. No connectivity... downstream locked, upstream stays scanning/blinking, and Connectivity says Access Denied.

Xfinity is also no help. They only give the option to send one of their techs out in a few days for $100.
Message 5 of 19
plemans
Guru

When you reinstalled the xfinity gateway, did you have to reactivate it or did it just work?

Message 6 of 19
702dani
Guide

I had to completely reactivate it and change billing. Then to switch back to the Nighthawk, I had to do the same.
Message 7 of 19
plemans
Guru

If you just bought it, you should still be within your support period. Have you worked with support on an RMA

Message 8 of 19
K999907
Aspirant

Did you get it fixed ? I am having the same issue , same model and the app says the same thing
Message 9 of 19
702dani
Guide

I did! But it turned out to be nothing with hardware. It was a cabling issue outside with Xfinity. Their xFi gateway had caught signal for a moment while troubleshooting, but it was only luck.
Unfortunately we did have to have a Comcast tech out. Hoping we aren’t charged for them having to fix their own wiring issues!
Message 10 of 19
FURRYe38
Guru

Please mark your thread and solved so others will know. Smiley Wink

@702dani wrote:
I did! But it turned out to be nothing with hardware. It was a cabling issue outside with Xfinity. Their xFi gateway had caught signal for a moment while troubleshooting, but it was only luck.
Unfortunately we did have to have a Comcast tech out. Hoping we aren’t charged for them having to fix their own wiring issues!

Message 11 of 19

Bought router 4 days ago. Spent two days on phone with BOTH Comcast and Netgear. Verified with both companies my firmware is most recent (V3.01.43). However, Cannot finish app application. FINALLY Netgear admitted it's their APP. When will this PROBLEM be corrected? Any other help appreciated.
Message 12 of 19
FURRYe38
Guru

Use a wired PC and web browser and setup the modem using the modems web page. 

@Wirhwings2002 wrote:
Bought router 4 days ago. Spent two days on phone with BOTH Comcast and Netgear. Verified with both companies my firmware is most recent (V3.01.43). However, Cannot finish app application. FINALLY Netgear admitted it's their APP. When will this PROBLEM be corrected? Any other help appreciated.

Message 13 of 19

Wont work. My NEW laptop does NOT have an ethernet connection. Can this be done using an USB port connection?
Message 14 of 19
plemans
Guru

You can use your phone but you just need to log in through the browser and not using the app. 

Have you tried that method? 

Message 15 of 19
FURRYe38
Guru

One can get a USB to ethernet adapter for your laptop and connect that way. There inexpensive. 

@Wirhwings2002 wrote:
Wont work. My NEW laptop does NOT have an ethernet connection. Can this be done using an USB port connection?

Message 16 of 19

Adapter ordered. We will see...
Model: C7800|Nighthawk X4S-AC3200 WiFi Cable Modem Router
Message 17 of 19

Still not working. Uninstalled application and reinstalled per Netgear. Still have the update hanging up. Yes, router log in on website. Now what?
Message 18 of 19
FURRYe38
Guru

Set up the modem using the modems web page and setup wizard with your ethernet connected PC and web browser. 

Be sure to set up SSID name and PW for wifi. 

Message 19 of 19
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 18 replies
  • 5 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7