Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: C7800 Frequent WAN and WiFi Drops

bschumac12
Follower

C7800 Frequent WAN and WiFi Drops

I purchased a C7800 in October of last year. I've had issues with it since about day one, and unfortunately I've been just putting up with them but my frustration has reached its limit. I should have created an official support case during my warranty period but I've been kicking the can down the road instead. With the quantity of devices my house has connected and the frequency of issues we experience (especially with home automation devices) with those devices because of the disconnects, our patience has run out.

I've experienced frequent WAN and WiFi drops, averaging about 2-3 occurences a week for the last year. The WiFi drops are pretty obvious and self-explanatory - both 2.4 and 5ghz networks disappear. The networks eventually recover in about 5 minutes or so, but it can be incredibly frustrating if we're currently streaming video or gaming. A hard reset of the C7800 always corrects the issue once it has completed its bootup. Also, I've done some wireless diagnostics and found the least crowded channels to park my networks on in case that was a factor. That being said, I'm in a surbuban neighborhood so the traffic isn't too heavy. These disconnects create havok with my home automation devices. I'm constantly having to re-establish their network connections due to the constant drop outs.

The WAN drops have been apparent as of late. In order to help "band-aid" the WiFi issues I cascaded my older WNDR4500 off of the C7800 and turned off the C7800's WiFi broadcast. Since then I've only experienced WAN issues. Although, obviously, these WAN problems could be ISP issues but I'm sure they're not. When this occurs, devices we're currently using report "no internet connection" while remaining connected to their wireless network. There's no obvious indication of an issue when logging into the gateway during this time. "Cable" connection is shown as "good." RF power levels seem to be well within suggested limits and I've got a single (brand new) coax from the ISP box outside my house directly to the modem (no splitters, only connectors on each end).

I'm happy to post any log information that may help diagnose the issue and appeciate any guidance. I'm going to do my best to resolve this issue (mainly since I'd feel bad about "wasting" $300+) but I am on the verge of dumping this unit for a stand alone modem and router from another manufacturer.

Thank you in advance.

Model: C7800|Nighthawk X4S-AC3200 WiFi Cable Modem Router
Message 1 of 10
antinode
Guru

> [...] I cascaded my older WNDR4500 off of the C7800 and turned off the
> C7800's WiFi broadcast. [...]

That leaves the router section of the C7800 involved.  Instead, you
might try putting the C7800 into modem-only mode, and using the WNDR4500
as your only router.  I don't see this mentioned in the C7800 User
Manual, but the following KB article seems to apply:

https://kb.netgear.com/27191

Message 2 of 10
E2GO
Aspirant

I'm seeing similar issues.  Did you ever get resolution?

Netgear support is not very supportive...

Message 3 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Have the ISP check the signal and line quality UP to the modem. 
Be sure there are no coax cable line splitters in the between the modem and ISP service box. 
Be sure your using good quality RG6 coax cable up to the modem. 

@E2GO wrote:

I'm seeing similar issues.  Did you ever get resolution?

Netgear support is not very supportive...

Message 4 of 10
PSID0C
Aspirant

I appear to be having a very similar issue with my Nighthawk X4S.  I got a (used, fully-working) C7800 three weeks ago and I'm having WAN drops ~1/day and the associated consequent issues with WiFi, similar to the original post.   Moreover, the behavior is quite strange in that some WebSocket connections are still maintained.  This is similar to several other posts, like this one and this one. Specifically, 

1. Device freezes on website traffic for all devices connected
2. Existing video/audio streams continue, even after router is locked up. So it's not a full stop on traffic, just traffic on new requests.
3. Cannot add new devices to router

I did a factory reset 3 weeks ago when I first purchased the router; firmware is latest from Xfinity/Comcast (V3.01.43).  Device is not overheating.  Using a variety of devises running iOS, MacOS, Android, and Windows; all experience the same issue.  

Tagging @JamesGL @James721 @RMinNJ  @gmdoctor @gr8livn @microchip8 @chlln  since y'all seem to have dealt/helped with similar issues in the past.

Any advice would be much appreciated.  Thanks in advance.  

Model: C7800|Nighthawk X4S-AC3200 WiFi Cable Modem Router
Message 5 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

Have the ISP check the signal and line quality UP to the modem. 
Be sure there are no coax cable line splitters in the between the modem and ISP service box. 
Be sure your using good quality RG6 coax cable up to the modem. 

@PSID0C wrote:

I appear to be having a very similar issue with my Nighthawk X4S.  I got a (used, fully-working) C7800 three weeks ago and I'm having WAN drops ~1/day and the associated consequent issues with WiFi, similar to the original post.   Moreover, the behavior is quite strange in that some WebSocket connections are still maintained.  This is similar to several other posts, like this one and this one. Specifically, 

1. Device freezes on website traffic for all devices connected
2. Existing video/audio streams continue, even after router is locked up. So it's not a full stop on traffic, just traffic on new requests.
3. Cannot add new devices to router

I did a factory reset 3 weeks ago when I first purchased the router; firmware is latest from Xfinity/Comcast (V3.01.43).  Device is not overheating.  Using a variety of devises running iOS, MacOS, Android, and Windows; all experience the same issue.  

Any advice would be much appreciated.  Thanks in advance.  

Message 6 of 10
PSID0C
Aspirant

Thanks for the advice; I do think there may be a splitter involved in this home's setup.  If so, are there any magic words I need to know to get Comcast to run an additional cable instead? Also, can a bad cable/split connection explain partial connection symptoms?

Message 7 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

Bad cabling, connections or spitters can cause problems. Also be aware that since more users are working from home, there maybe more people on the line and ISPs are trynig to maintain and keep services running. There maybe interrmittent problems from the ISP service side. 

Message 8 of 10
PSID0C
Aspirant

There is a splitter involved... one line goes to my house and gets split for upstairs (cable modem/router) and downstairs (cable box).

I looked at the signal strength in my modem admin page; all values (power and SNR) look good for both upstream and downstream.  Will my ISP be able to provide me with any additional info beyond that if I ask them to check it?

Message 9 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

Yes. Test the modem with out the splitter as well. 

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 5 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7