Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

C7800 Wired Speeds Slow

Starsha
Aspirant

C7800 Wired Speeds Slow

So I've had my C7800 for about two years now, and have always had a wired connection to my PC.  I also have Gigablast from Cox.  Everything was working great and I was getting average speeds of 950 mb/s, which is fine.  Lately, my speeds have dipped down to 300-500 mb/s.  When I called Cox, of course they said it was my modem.  Everything was fine on their end.  Things I tried:

- Factory reset of modem

- Reformatted hard drive (unnecessary but did it for cleanup)

- Using wired connection on a different PC

- Using a different cable

- I've done a million different google searches with no luck.  This modem has built in QoS so if there's a way to change that, I don't know how.

Nothing has helped - is there something else I can check or do I need to buy a new modem?  I really don't want to buy another modem if I don't need to but I'm going crazy trying to figure out the problem.  

Thanks in advance for any help!

Message 1 of 11
plemans
Guru

Re: C7800 Wired Speeds Slow

do you have a screen snip of your modem connections page? 

isp's are great at saying its not the connection because if it is, then they have to send a tech out and it costs $. That's their default response.

Also remove any splitter, attenuators, amplifiers from the line. I'd also recommend hooking up the C7800 to right where the coax enters the home. This prevents the wiring within the home from being the issue. 

Message 2 of 11
Starsha
Aspirant

Thanks for your response!  Sorry I'm a little late with mine!  Can you clarify a little further what you mean by modem connections page?  My technical skills are moderate, at best.  

I know how ISPs like to blame the equipment, I've fought that fight many many times before and it's usually a losing battle.  I'll see if I can find where the coaxial enters my house and hopefully there's a power source near there to see if that works.  In the meantime, please let me know what to screenshot and I'll do it ASAP.  Thanks again!!

Message 3 of 11
plemans
Guru

when you first log into the C7800, there'll be an internet icon (through the browser). click on that. It should bring you to the modem connections page. I'll attach an example. 

Message 4 of 11
plemans
Guru

BTW, get all the info on that page. Upload/download/snr/errors/etc
Message 5 of 11
Starsha
Aspirant

Okay, I've attached a screenshot - I had to shrink it down to get all the info - if it's too small to see, let me know and I can split it in two.

I do have a splitter for my cable.  I tried hooking that comes into my house directly into the modem and still got slow speeds.  The first test came back at 850 and each test thereafter kept dropping down, the lowest being 78, then bounced back up and tested around 450 on each one after that.  Which is pretty similar to what it does when it's connected to the splitter.

Message 6 of 11
plemans
Guru

I'm not a cox user but there should be 31 or 32 channels locked in on your downstream plust he ofdm channels. 

I'd have cox check the line. 

It could be potentially be the hardware but usually when channels aren't locked, either its provisioned wrong or something isn't right at the hub. 

Message 7 of 11
Starsha
Aspirant

Thank you very much!  I'll give them a call again and see what they say!

Message 8 of 11
DJGeorgeCostanz
Initiate

I have recently been having the exact same issues at home. C7800, Cox Gigablast Service, wildly flucuating speeds within moments of each other, 200-600mbs-ish, that seem to have started within about the same time period as you (1-2 months ago). I'm curious to know if you found any resolution to your issue. I have spent hours on the phone with customer service, and they even sent a tech out and (of course) were unable to find any issues on their end. Any additional information or help from anyone is appreciated. 

Model: C7800|Nighthawk X4S-AC3200 WiFi Cable Modem Router
Message 9 of 11
plemans
Guru

@DJGeorgeCostanz Please start your own thread so we can directly interact with you and not get multiple people confused. 

Message 10 of 11
Umps
Aspirant

Any update?!
Model: C7800|Nighthawk X4S-AC3200 WiFi Cable Modem Router
Message 11 of 11
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 4 in conversation