Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

C7800 Wired speed is fine, but wireless is slow.

Belknap29
Aspirant

C7800 Wired speed is fine, but wireless is slow.

I have searched and not able to find a solution or cause. 

When I am connected to the router by Cat5 I can get 800-900Mbs using a speed test.  When I am connected by wireless my speed is slow 45-50Mbs.  I ran the wireless test standing next to the router using the same laptop as the wired test.  I have talked with the provider (Xfinity) and they are not certain what is going on.  I am not sure what to do next.  

I have power cycled all devices.  I have run the tests on multiple wireless devices and the results are the same.  I have put the system on manual channel with no other devices.  I have stepped the modes down.  What else can I do?

My device is C7800 Nighthawk AC3200 running the latest firmware

Provider is Xfinity with the Gigibit package.

The device was purchased in Feb 2020.

What other details should I post?

Thanks

Message 1 of 12

Accepted Solutions
Belknap29
Aspirant

Re: C7800 Wired speed is fine, but wireless is slow.

Thanks for all the advice and responses.  I am happy to report that I have solved the speed issue.  I was shopping for a new router when I had an idea.  I had already updated the firmware on my wireless card and that didnt work, but what if I uninstalled the card and then reinstalled it.  When I did that I was able to run the speed test and get 332/41.  I then did the same thing on all the other laptops/chrome books and they were able to get similar speed.  

I have no idea what I fixed since I made no changes to the cards they were all set to defaults.  I even went back and confirmed it after the reinstall.   Now we will keep an eye on the signal drop.  I may do another factory reset of the router and see if that does anything.

Thanks again for the responses.

View solution in original post

Message 11 of 12

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

What wireless devices do you have connected? 

Some currently AC mode supporting wirless devices max out at around 400-500Mbs depending upon support and design. 

Also connection rate and connection frequency will also impact speeds. 2.4Ghz usually maxes out at around 100Mpbs. 5Ghz as mentioned above. 

Message 2 of 12
Belknap29
Aspirant

I have a variety of chrome books, dell laptops, iphone 6s, ipad 6th gen, and several IOT devices (cameras TV direct tv)

The laptop that I am testing with has an intel 9560AC wireless card that Intel says can handle gig speed.  I dont expect to get a gig but would expect 300-400 constiantly.

Other symptoms that the router has is constant signal drops, unable to login wrong password, cant connect to the router but get an an error message saying that the router is unavailable even though I can see it broadcasting.  in doing research I have not seen any solutions for any of these issues.  Any help would be appreciated.  

Model: C7800|Nighthawk X4S-AC3200 WiFi Cable Modem Router
Message 3 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

Even after a factory reset of the modem and setup from scratch? 

Disable the 2.4Ghz radio and connect only to the 5Ghz radio. What do you see for speeds? 

@Christian_R  

Message 4 of 12
AdeptMaven
Guide

Do you have the 2.4ghz and 5ghz network named with the same SSID? The speeds you report make it sound like the laptop is connected to the 2.4ghz network. Have you run a speed test on any other device? are you getting the same results?

Message 5 of 12
Belknap29
Aspirant

Did the factory reset a few days ago and it didnt help.  I just ran the test with 2.4ghz and guest networks turned off.  27.81 down 21.10 up.  I was standing right next to the router.  Both networks are named differently.

Message 6 of 12
Belknap29
Aspirant

I ran the test on the other dell with a slower wireless card and get 33 down 22 up

Message 7 of 12
AdeptMaven
Guide

Was the 33mbs you qouted earlier also on the 2.4ghz network or was that on the 5ghz network? If you disable the 2.4ghz network and only run the 5ghz network what speed do you get?

Message 8 of 12
Belknap29
Aspirant

I have disbabled one band then tested and then tested on the enabled band switched bands and tested again.  I am getting a pretty consistant 30 down and 20 up.  

I also checked to see if I have the smartbyte app installed and I do not.

I have uninstalled the wireless card and then reinstalled it.  I updated the drivers on the card and still nothing.

Message 9 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

Something you may want to get in touch with NG support about. Seems wifi speeds should be better than what your seeing. 

Message 10 of 12
Belknap29
Aspirant

Thanks for all the advice and responses.  I am happy to report that I have solved the speed issue.  I was shopping for a new router when I had an idea.  I had already updated the firmware on my wireless card and that didnt work, but what if I uninstalled the card and then reinstalled it.  When I did that I was able to run the speed test and get 332/41.  I then did the same thing on all the other laptops/chrome books and they were able to get similar speed.  

I have no idea what I fixed since I made no changes to the cards they were all set to defaults.  I even went back and confirmed it after the reinstall.   Now we will keep an eye on the signal drop.  I may do another factory reset of the router and see if that does anything.

Thanks again for the responses.

Message 11 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

Interesting. Glad that was a good fix. Sounds like something maybe with the drivers, current operation of the wifi adapters and removing them and re-installing them did something. May have been a bad configuration or bad drivers. I Hope you used updated drivers. At any rate, glad you got it working. 

Message 12 of 12
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7