Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

C7800 modem firmware update

Byteman007
Initiate

C7800 modem firmware update

I am trying to get updates to c7800 cable modem/router combo product. I am on Xfinity comcast. Your website under download section says ISP will update firmware. Comcast says they don’t update firmware and modem manufacturer does. So i spent $450 to deal with this cra# ?
Someone should sue netgear for misleading customers. Find a solution to this or I will initiate complaints with state attorney general and start a social media storm that will black list netgear and this modem. I have over 5,000 followers on twitter in the tech industry.
Model: C7800|Nighthawk X4S-AC3200 WiFi Cable Modem Router
Message 1 of 8
schumaku
Guru

Re: C7800 modem firmware update

Lot of noise without providing any insight or issues you expect to be addressed with whatever update. What is your C7800 current firmware version? 

Either way, cable modem and cable router firmware is ISP specific requiring mandatory certification and/or validation - What’s the latest firmware version of my NETGEAR cable modem or modem router?

Netgear does provide the firmware, the update is not under user control. That's why there are no downloads made available to the public. Pretty much convinced the ISP helpdesk information is not correct.

PS. I'm not Netgear, and more than happy we don't have this Nightmare overseas - here most if not all Cable TV ISP don't allow 3rd party cable modem/routers. @Christian_R please shed some light to the mis-informed community member(s).

Message 2 of 8
Byteman007
Initiate

Issue is that my modem/router drops 5g speeds to less than 64kb pretty much every week if i dont use 5g enabled/connected devices eg: Apple TV 4k connected through 5g wifi streaming from various sources.
I shouldnt have to power down or reboot or reset from Xfinity app. Its a pain and Netgear should release a fix and work closely with Comcast to support this product. Otherwise; its misleading consumers that its a Cable modem+Router combo that is superior than other options. People don’t buy products like these with expectations that its a snapshot in time with no updates ever again.; especially for an important piece of hardware that connects your entire home from ISP and inside. Thats BS for a $450 product.
Message 3 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only.

Have had no 5Ghz issues with mine. Though mines now in bridge mode using a Orbi system. 

ISP do all FW updates for any modem connected to there system, however some ISP don't update FW on customer owned modems. Seen this before with some ISPs. 

If this is the case with your ISP, I recommend getting into a modem only unit or use one of there modem only units so you know you'll get FW updates on the modem and install a external wifi router which is something you can get FW updates to and manually update FW yourself. 

@Byteman007 wrote:
Issue is that my modem/router drops 5g speeds to less than 64kb pretty much every week if i dont use 5g enabled/connected devices eg: Apple TV 4k connected through 5g wifi streaming from various sources.
I shouldnt have to power down or reboot or reset from Xfinity app. Its a pain and Netgear should release a fix and work closely with Comcast to support this product. Otherwise; its misleading consumers that its a Cable modem+Router combo that is superior than other options. People don’t buy products like these with expectations that its a snapshot in time with no updates ever again.; especially for an important piece of hardware that connects your entire home from ISP and inside. Thats BS for a $450 product.

Message 4 of 8
samahdih2
Aspirant

Did you find a solution for this problem? My ISP (Wave Broadband) told me the same thing! I paid alot of money for this router but now I can't update my firmware!!!!! This is fraud!

Message 5 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

Are you having problems with your modem? 

ISPs are responsible for updating cable modems. This is set forth by ISP and the DOCSIS certification community and developers. Seems that a long time ago ISPs were pushing FW to user owned modems and broke them. Thus ISPs incurred costs to replace user owned modems. So some ISPs don't update users owned modems anymore. Also ISP are now supposed to be testing new FW from modem MFRs on there networks before any FW gets pushed. IT's up to ISPs to test and approve FW. Some ISP may or may not be doing this. This is all due to mostly what happened long time ago so NO, this is not fraud. This is how Cable ISPs work. 

@samahdih2 wrote:

Did you find a solution for this problem? My ISP (Wave Broadband) told me the same thing! I paid alot of money for this router but now I can't update my firmware!!!!! This is fraud!

Message 6 of 8
samahdih2
Aspirant

My ISP will NOT update(push) firmware updates to my modem! I want Netgear to provide an update to my firmware!!!!! I am going to file a complaint with FTC if this issue is not resolved by Netgear!!!!! 

Message 7 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

Its up to ISPs to make there policy regarding FW updates to user owned modems. Again, It's up to ISPs to push FW to modems. NG isn't responsible in this regard. NG provides FW to ISPs only. You have to discuss FW updates with your ISP. If they won't then thats there policy. https://kb.netgear.com/000036375/What-s-the-latest-firmware-version-of-my-NETGEAR-cable-modem-or-mod...

For users with ISPs like this, it's recommended to use that ISP Modem hardware, preferably a modem only unit, then get your own wifi external router to connect as wifi routers can be FW upated by the owner. 

Good Luck. 

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 6 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7