Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

C7800 settings not saving

NotBuyingAgain
Follower

C7800 settings not saving

I have gone to the hassle of creating an account here just so that I can be one more person warning about what an expensive piece of junk the Netgear C7800 is. I feel like a fool having spent so much money on it because I am a network administrator (with Cisco certifications, etc.) so I should have been able to spot the C7800 as garbage before I bought it. But maybe the problem was that, before buying it, I didn't read reviews at this website, only at bestbuy.com. 

Anyway, another user wrote a bad review about this modem/router that has all the same awful details of what I've gone through with the C7800 and the Genie app. FYI my ISP is Spectrum. That guy's review is https://community.netgear.com/t5/Cable-Modems-Routers/C7800-settings-refuse-to-save/td-p/1691816. I don't yet know what modem/router I will purchase to replace this thing, but unfortunately I've decided that I won't buy another Netgear device. I can't imagine how the C7800 made it to market as an actual product for sale. 

Model: C7800|Nighthawk X4S-AC3200 WiFi Cable Modem Router
Message 1 of 3
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: C7800 settings not saving

My settings save on my C7800. I have just taking it off line couple of months ago after it ran and ran for months on my ISP. I used Opera and IE11 for it's management page and configurations. No issues seen with settings NOT saving. Everything works upon last time I had it online. Be sure to clear ALL browser caches before entering the modems web page.

Users should be using web browsers to manage the modem. Genie app is getting old and not developed on much anymore. THis is probably why your having problems. 

Ask NG for help and information if your not willing to work with anyone here in the forum or return the unit for another. Sometimes there are just bad units as well. There are others on here with working units. Not all C7800 are bad. Seems like yours in a mis-configuration.

Good Luck. 

Message 2 of 3
plemans
Guru

Re: C7800 settings not saving

A little advice. spectrum is horrible at updated combo devices and the are horrible at providing support when you have 3rd party devices.

Take a look at the modem and combo device firmware guide from netgear. Spectrum is usually a version or more behind on firmware.

https://kb.netgear.com/000036375/What-s-the-latest-firmware-version-of-my-NETGEAR-cable-modem-or-mod...

Not all area's for spectrum charge for a modem. It might be a good idea to let them supply the modem and purchase your own router. That way you can have a router on the latest firmware. And if there's any line issues, its on spectrum. 

You'd be surprised how often spectrum blames bad connections/issues on 3rd party equipment when its their lines/signal. and until they hook up their own equipment, its like pulling teeth to even get them to check it. 

Message 3 of 3
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7