Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: CAX80 2.5 GHZ Port dropping out constantly

TwoTabs
Apprentice

CAX80 2.5 GHZ Port dropping out constantly

Has anyone found a fix for the 2.5 GHZ port data drops. Im on my second device and the port is still dropping out. The cable is good. Ive tested two cables, One wont even get to gig speeds, the other one will work for a few minutes and then start doing drops every few minutes. These cables have been tested witha  verified data tester and they all check out fine. If i run them anywhere else inculding the regular gig ports on the router they work fine. They work fine in my POE switches. This is silly that Netgear charges This much money for a product that doesnt work properly, This Device has been out for how long and people are still having the same issues with it? That's terrible service. Yes i am on the latest firmware. It did no good for the data drops

Message 1 of 11
plemans
Guru

what device are you connecting it to? (and adapter)

Reason I ask is I had added a qnap 10g one to my windows computer and it dropped constantly. I thought it was my router as well at the time (have the same CAX80 plus RAX200/RAXE500) and found out it was my adapter. I bought a cheap usb 3.0---->2.5gig adapter and it didn't have a single issue. It was my ethernet adapter I'd added in. 

Message 2 of 11
TwoTabs
Apprentice

The adapter is a 2.5 gb adapter that is on my Asus Strix Rog X570 E-Gaming Motherboard. If i were to go get a different adapter, what brand would you recommend?

Message 3 of 11
plemans
Guru

I don't have one to recommend. I"d just read the reviews on them and see how they perform. I have a qnap that caused a lot of issues. I tried a tp-link one that's worked great but its a bit expensive. 

And it could be the CAX's issue. Not saying it isn't. 

With your current 2.5g port, did you check directly from the manufactuer of the chip if there's updated drivers for it? The windows one tend to be far behind. And sometimes the middle man (asus, asrock, etc) aren't always running the latest either. 

Message 4 of 11
TwoTabs
Apprentice

I updated my drivers straight from Realtek's website.I do think that it could possibly be the the NIC that is causing this. I have two nic's on my motherboard and even with the link speed set to 1000 on the 2.5gb port it still drops out. If i have it on the other nic while plugged into multi gig port on the CAX80 it is fine and hasnt disconnected once. Im going to explore options to get a different one but i will start with a cheap one first. Thanks for your help and sorry for coming on this forum angry, its just frustrating 

Message 5 of 11
plemans
Guru

Very frustrating. I had the same issue with my qnap adapter. It'd work fine for a period of time and then randomly not work. You couldn't predict when it'd happen. Connect the 2.5g to the built in gigabit and it worked fine. It was tough to troubleshoot. And qnap wasn't much help so now I'm stuck with a janky 10g adapter. 

I'd be concerned with the adapter because you've tried 2x different CAX's. Making it less likely to be that port. 

Message 6 of 11
TwoTabs
Apprentice

I appreciate your replies 🙂

Message 7 of 11
TwoTabs
Apprentice

I just found an additional updated driver from Realtek for Windows 11. I installed it and it hasnt dropped yet. I will let you know what happens *fingers crossed*

Message 8 of 11
plemans
Guru

Hope it stays solid for you!

Might have to pull my old qnap out of the bin and try it

Message 9 of 11
TwoTabs
Apprentice

It stayed connected for about 4 hours, and then dropped. I really believe the issue is definitely with the onboard nic of the motherboard. I am gong to buy a cheap USB-C-2.5 gbe nic and see how it works. I will then report my findings.

Message 10 of 11
JJDizz1L
Star

It's been a few months, have you found anything?

Message 11 of 11
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 4 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7