Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: CAX80 Blocking Access to RealVNC

Ivan2022
Guide

CAX80 Blocking Access to RealVNC

CAX80 Port/Firewall Issues w/ RealVNC

I was gifted a Netgear CAX80 and have it setup and working, as best I can tell with everything I need, except RealVNC.

RealVNC says it can’t connect to the RealVNC cloud server or whatever it is, so I can’t use it for remote access; TeamViewer works but I’m not a big fan. I have ports 5800 and 5900 open, which as best I can tell are what are needed?

Am I missing something else to get this working?
Message 1 of 8
plemans
Guru

Are you using IPv6?

Have you tried a different DNS provider?

Have you contacted RealVNC? 
from their site, they look fairly responsive to support questions. 

Message 2 of 8
Ivan2022
Guide

Yes I am using ipv6. I have tried several DNS providers as well. I haven’t heard back from RealVNC support yet, which was why I’d also posted here hoping someone may have a solution.
Message 3 of 8
plemans
Guru

Is upnp enabled? 

have you tried disabling it and redoing the port forwarding?

https://help.realvnc.com/hc/en-us/articles/360002249797#establishing-a-direct-connection-0-0

Message 4 of 8
Ivan2022
Guide

Yes I tried disabling upnp with the forwards active and still no success, reboots after each change for good measure as well.
Message 5 of 8
plemans
Guru

Is it only 1 computer that has the realvnc on it? If so, you could put its ip address into the netgears dmz. 

Message 6 of 8
Ivan2022
Guide

It's on my Windows PC and MacBook (VNC Server), but the only one I care about is the Windows one. I'll give the suggestion you made a shot this evening when I'm back home.

Thanks!

Message 7 of 8
Ivan2022
Guide

Setting the IP in DMZ did not fix the issue, and RealVNC support says they don't offer any assistance for their free product, which is all I need anyhow since I only use it to remote access my PC when I'm away.

We ended up returning the device since it was also causing all sorts of other issues like my wife not being able to use her VPN to connect to work which was the one thing that we couldn't just overlook.

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7