Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: CAX80 LAN disconnecting on firmware 2.1.1.4 — Never had an issue before this update.

Talon2020
Aspirant

CAX80 LAN disconnecting on firmware 2.1.1.4 — Never had an issue before this update.

Ever since this firmware update was pushed to my device late Nov. my CAX80 has begun dropping connection and LAN almost hourly or more often. It seems to be getting worse day by day. I’ve tried resets, power offs, and now even tried new coaxial and cat cables, different lan port and even a brand new motherboard. Nothing fixes this issue and it’s making my connection useless for day to day tasks.

I have now discovered a new update was pushed to my device right when the issues began. I got this Router/modem combo in June and never had a single issue or disconnect. Now after this update the device is useless and tech support wants me to pay to get help with something you broke! How do I roll back? Is Netgear aware of this issue and planning new firmware soon to fix this.
Message 1 of 16
plemans
Guru

Re: CAX80 LAN disconnecting on firmware 2.1.1.4 — Never had an issue before this update.

Do you have a screen snip of the cable connections page and the logs? That can help check the connectionw it the isp as well as to see if the isp is triggering the reboots. 

Message 2 of 16
FURRYe38
Guru

Has a factory reset and setup from scratch been performed since last FW update?

@Talon2020 wrote:
Ever since this firmware update was pushed to my device late Nov. my CAX80 has begun dropping connection and LAN almost hourly or more often. It seems to be getting worse day by day. I’ve tried resets, power offs, and now even tried new coaxial and cat cables, different lan port and even a brand new motherboard. Nothing fixes this issue and it’s making my connection useless for day to day tasks.

I have now discovered a new update was pushed to my device right when the issues began. I got this Router/modem combo in June and never had a single issue or disconnect. Now after this update the device is useless and tech support wants me to pay to get help with something you broke! How do I roll back? Is Netgear aware of this issue and planning new firmware soon to fix this.

Message 3 of 16
Lurksalot
Apprentice

Oddly what I have observed after the ISP pushed FW update is that I can no longer get the device to reset to factory defaults. Neither of the given methods to perform a factory reset work, 1) pin hole on back of device, nor 2) "Revert to factory default settings" option.

Thanks.

Message 4 of 16
FURRYe38
Guru

Try disconnecting the coax cable then soon after press the reset button and hold for 15 seconds then realease...wait for the front LEDs to all turn off. Then plug the coax cable back in...

@Lurksalot wrote:

Oddly what I have observed after the ISP pushed FW update is that I can no longer get the device to reset to factory defaults. Neither of the given methods to perform a factory reset work, 1) pin hole on back of device, nor 2) "Revert to factory default settings" option.

Thanks.

Message 5 of 16
Talon2020
Aspirant

So I did a factory reset by unplugging the coxial cable, and hitting the reset button with a paperclip for 15 seconds. It forced me to do a complete reconfigure of the modem/router. It definitely seems to have helped, the disconencts went away for awhile about a day, but I am again still getting them radomly, just far less often (a few a day). Unfortuantely it just disconnected for a second, and then immediately reconnected. It's very frustrating that this is now happening after 5 months of 100% no issues and it only started after that firmware was pushed to my device. 

Message 6 of 16
plemans
Guru

If you've only had it for 5 months, you should be able to rma it if its applicable. 

do you have screen snip of the cable connections page to check signal?  Take those and post them back here. 

If you have any splitters, amplifiers, or attenuators in line, I'd remove them.  

Potentially even @vkdelta could help

Message 7 of 16
plemans
Guru

You don't happen to be on Cox do you?
That's tended to be where I've seen the most issues with the CAX device.
Message 8 of 16
Talon2020
Aspirant

I'm on Comcast/Xfinity. 

Message 9 of 16
Talon2020
Aspirant

Here is a snip of the cable connection. I cannot enable that "Enable Extended Upstream Transmit Power". I click apply but it just turns off when the page refreshes. I figured I would try it and see if it helps since I'm getting continual disconnections again. 

Message 10 of 16
plemans
Guru

You've only got a single downstream channel locked. 

And only 1 even showing. Even when mine haven't been locked, they still usually show. 

that's unusual. 

Have you opened a support case with netgear?

Message 11 of 16
Talon2020
Aspirant

I will do that. I might also have to give Comcast a call since this problem doesn't seem to be resolving on it's own over time as intermittent connections issues seem to in the past. 

Message 12 of 16
Parmenedes
Aspirant

Apologies for rezzing a thread that's a few months old, but I'm wondering if you ever found a fix for this, as I'm in exactly the same boat.  The modem (CAX80) was working fine on the previous firmware, but as soon as it updated to 2.1.1.4, my mutli-gig port started disconnecting periodically.  I'm also on Comcast, and they push this firmware update without consent, so factory resets don't fix the issue.  My workaround for the last several months has been to use one of the slower ports, which utterly defeats the purpose of having shelled out hundreds of dollars for this modem so I could use the multi-gig port.

Message 13 of 16
Talon2020
Aspirant

Hey no worries. Actually the issue I described above was only the beginning for me. Eventually my multigig port and one of the LAN ports also failed and I was no longer able to use my Modem/Router at all outside of 100mbps down. It was terrible and slow. The WAN light beganning flashing amber and I was getting disconnects and stuck at 100mbps down. I ended up doing the advanced RMA with Netgear and got a brand new unit and it has been working flawlessly since.

I recommend you contact Netgear, tell them the issues, hopefully you also are stuck at slow speeds/amber light because that is what caused them to RMA my unit. Otherwise they were telling me I had to reach out to Comcast which is ridiculous. But like I said, my unit further failed with a flashing amber multigig port light and slow 100mbps and they said it needed replaced. RMA was a breeze. I did the 2 day advanced RMA. You pay for them to ship to you first, replace your unit and then they include a prepaid shipping label to send back the faulty modem/router. 

Good luck! 

Message 14 of 16
Parmenedes
Aspirant

Thanks for the response, Talon.  I just got off of an hour-long phone call with Netgear, and they eventually agreed to RMA the unit.  I'm grateful for that, but the person I spoke with was incredibly (and increasingly as the phone call went on) rude.  I was kind of aghast at how often he cut me off, talked over me, and how evasive he was when I asked simple questions.  He eventually hung up on me while I was trying to get an answer (I remained very polite the entire time) about whether or not his supervisor would call me back regarding a question I had about their shipping policies that he couldn't answer.  At least I have the RMA initiated, though, which is more than I can say from the first time I spent a few hours on the phone with them and Comcast trying to deal with this issue.

Overall, not sure I'll be purchasing another Netgear product.  The RMA is nice, but the amount of time I had to spend (both on this call and the last time I tried to [unsuccessfully] troubleshoot this issue) and the rudeness of the person I just spoke with has really turned me off to Netgear products - and I say that as having been a Netgear fan for years; the last three modem/routers we've bought have been made by Netgear.

Message 15 of 16
plemans
Guru

Might be worth a mod checking out what actual agent you talked to your hearing from you. 

@Christian_R @DarrenM 

Message 16 of 16
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 15 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7