Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: CAX80 Multi-gig ethernet port dropping

doublegs
Guide

CAX80 Multi-gig ethernet port dropping

I've upgraded to the CAX80 to take advantage of Xfinity's new 1200mbps speed. My PC has a 5gig ethernet port. I've already spent over 2 hours on the phone with NETGEAR support - with no resolution besides a "defective unit" which I do not believe based on the circumstances. As you can imagine I've tried all of the troubleshooting steps they require, with no success. I do have a replacement from BestBuy coming, but I fear it's going to be the same result. ONLY the 2.5gbps ethernet port cuts in and out. My only other option (if I stay with NETGEAR) is to get the CM2000 + RAX120, which I don't want to do based on the addtional $300 it'll cost me. The 1gig ports seems to work fine and doesn't cut in and out randomly. Only the multi gig port does. Tried different ethernet cords, factory reset, MTU decrease, etc. I was talk all of my Cable Connection info looks great as far as channels, power levels, etc. I really don't know what to do at this point and would appreciate any info. Firmware Version V2.1.1.4 
Also want to mention - I get great speeds. 1400mbps+. Speed is not the problem, the ethernet just continuously cuts out on the multi-gig port. 

Thanks everyone!

Model: RAX80|Nighthawk AX8 8-Stream WiFi Router
Message 1 of 42
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the brand and model# of this 5G adapter in your PC that your connecting to the port?. 

Be sure the drivers for this adapter is up to date.

Does a 1000Mbps network adapter do the same thing? You might try a 2.5Gbps adapter instead...

Message 2 of 42
plemans
Guru

Like @FURRYe38 says, check the card in the computer. 

I had a qnap 2.5/5/10g card that has been nothing but problems in my server/media pc. 

I could pull full speeds but my streaming would freeze/drop consitently. Opened a support case with qnap and had a few beta drivers we tried and it kept happening. I finally switched to a tplink 10g card and its been rock solid since. 

Every once in a while I pull the old card out and update drivers and test it and its still been sketchy. 

Message 3 of 42
doublegs
Guide

Hello, thank you for the reply! 

it is a Marvell AQtion AQC111C 5Gb Ethernet

Yes, the drivers are fully up to date. I've attached the screenshot below. 
So what I've figured out after hours of testing - the ONLY time the ethernet drops is when Muli-Gigabit port is being used AND in multi-gig mode. The multi-gig port works fine in 1gbps mode! With that being said, I don't know what to do.

Also for reference - my 5Gb port is on my ASUS ROG Maximus XII Hero

Any suggestions would be much appreciated! 

Message 4 of 42
doublegs
Guide

Please review my reply to him above and let me know your thoughs. I really hope it's not my $400 motherboard.... Smiley Frustrated

Message 5 of 42
plemans
Guru

Do you have any other 2.5/5/10g devices?

Its tough to tell which one is causing the issue when you've only got 2 devices. 

I ran into the issue when I had mine because I only had 2 devices as well. I did a little research with mine and see quite a few issues with the card so tried a new add in card. 

I can't tell you what to do though. 

If you don't have another 2.5/5/10g device, know anyone's you could borrow to test? 

Message 6 of 42
doublegs
Guide

Unfortunately, that is my only device in the house that supports above 1gbps. Just to confirm - the port works fine in 1gbps most, but as soon as I go to multi-gig that is when it will have intermittent connection. 

Should my setup include a switch in your opinion? I have the 1200mbps plan from xfinity but can pull about 1400mbps. 

Would introducing a switch be recommended in this scenario? 

Message 7 of 42
plemans
Guru

Not sure what direction to point you in at this point. 

Multigig switches are a bit expensive right now. 

An option? 

Amazon has a fairly generous return policy. You could try a different network card to see if it is indeed the card or not. 

Message 8 of 42
FURRYe38
Guru

Hey, you guys have any recommendations for a 2.5 or 5Gbps ethernet add on adapter? Been looking. I see some 10Gb ones but there 80-100 bucks a pop. There anything in the 2.5 or 5Gbps range? 

Message 9 of 42
plemans
Guru

I've got the Tp-Link tx-401 and the qnap qxg-10g1

both were a bit more than I wanted to spend but I wanted them for trying out 10g speeds/ports. 

Message 10 of 42
FURRYe38
Guru

Ok. I'll look at those. Ya ASUS has a 10Gb card I was looking at. Not sure if wanna spend that much just yet. I persume I need to sometime since I am wired for 10Gb in the home. 

I wish switches were a bit more affordable. Smiley Frustrated

I ordered this for my Mac Book Pro since it's one of two PCs that I believe can handle speeds over 1Gb:

https://www.amazon.com/Sabrent-5-Gigabit-Ethernet-Adapter-NT-SS5G/dp/B08977K9D2/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&...

I'm gonna try this adapter for my desktop:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07Y2GWVB8?psc=1&pf_rd_p=0341f622-1508-4712-8614-4588a55d8cf4&pf_rd_r=EK2J...

Can always send it back if it doesn't work. 

Message 11 of 42
traleigh
Initiate

I have the same problem, 2.5gigabit cuts out. I've done extensive testing discovered the flaw with the cax80 is related to the wifi. When the frequency of the 2.4 & 5 Gig wifi are at the lowest settings the 2.5 multi-gig port cuts in and out every several hours or so. If you set the wifi frequencies for the 2.4 and 5 gig radios to the max the 2.5 multi gig port cuts in and out every 5 to 10 minutes. If you disable the wifi radios, turn them off, the 2.5 multigig ports work fine. I get 1400+ mbs downloads on comcast. I have disabled the radios and use anouther, R7000 router, as an access point. Very shameful of netgear as i have had the cax80 replaced once and now out off warranty stuck with a lemon of a cable modem/router (cax80). Several others have noted simular problem on reddit.

Message 12 of 42
plemans
Guru

The cax80 was released July 2nd. Under a year ago..... Should still be within warranty....
Message 13 of 42
doublegs
Guide

I am really glad to hear I wasn't the only one. I ended up returning it and just ordered Xfinity's XB7 router/modem combo for $14/mo. It includes WiFi 6 and also a 2.5Gb Ethernet port. Been using it for a few months now, not a single problem!! I like to own my own eqipment and have since day 1... unfortunately the CAX 80 is broken. 

Message 14 of 42
FURRYe38
Guru

Something to contact NG support about to let them know. Maybe a faulty unit as well. I've had mine since last year and have had no issues with it. 

@traleigh wrote:

I have the same problem, 2.5gigabit cuts out. I've done extensive testing discovered the flaw with the cax80 is related to the wifi. When the frequency of the 2.4 & 5 Gig wifi are at the lowest settings the 2.5 multi-gig port cuts in and out every several hours or so. If you set the wifi frequencies for the 2.4 and 5 gig radios to the max the 2.5 multi gig port cuts in and out every 5 to 10 minutes. If you disable the wifi radios, turn them off, the 2.5 multigig ports work fine. I get 1400+ mbs downloads on comcast. I have disabled the radios and use anouther, R7000 router, as an access point. Very shameful of netgear as i have had the cax80 replaced once and now out off warranty stuck with a lemon of a cable modem/router (cax80). Several others have noted simular problem on reddit.

Message 15 of 42
Vlalkor
Guide

I am having the same issue as everyone else; except I did contact Netgear, they sent me another CAX80 and I have the same issue with that one as well.

If you factory reset, the issue goes away; but as soon as the firmware updates with the new security on it; the issue resumes.

Tested 2x CAX80s, 3x cables and 2 different hardwired machines; all same issue as everyone here.

Its surprising netgear has not fixed this yet as it has been happening for a LONG time.

Message 16 of 42
FURRYe38
Guru

Well not everyone is having a problem with the multiGig port. 

What device do you have connected to this port? 

@Vlalkor wrote:

I am having the same issue as everyone else; except I did contact Netgear, they sent me another CAX80 and I have the same issue with that one as well.

If you factory reset, the issue goes away; but as soon as the firmware updates with the new security on it; the issue resumes.

Tested 2x CAX80s, 3x cables and 2 different hardwired machines; all same issue as everyone here.

Its surprising netgear has not fixed this yet as it has been happening for a LONG time.

Message 17 of 42
doublegs
Guide

I recently purchased another one of these from Amazon to test if the issue was fixed - it was not. Do NOT waste your time. Return it ASAP if you are able to do so. I was really hoping they had it fixed after many months.. wishful thinking. 

Do you have Xfinity? I'm starting to wonder if it's an Xfinity only problem.

Message 18 of 42
Vlalkor
Guide

Yes I have xfinity; im forced tro use one of the 1 gig ports instead of the 2.5GB port, too late to return the product.

Will NEVER buy another netgear product again.

Message 19 of 42
FURRYe38
Guru

What device do you have connected to this port? 

@Vlalkor wrote:

Yes I have xfinity; im forced tro use one of the 1 gig ports instead of the 2.5GB port, too late to return the product.

Will NEVER buy another netgear product again.

Message 20 of 42
TwoTabs
Apprentice

I have spectrum gig and im having the same problem. Ive had the device for less than 3 days. Sometimes it will stay on forever, and then other times it will just drop out, out of nowhere. If im in the regular gig ports its fine

Message 21 of 42
GACuban
Star

I wish I had seen this thread before buying the unit from Amazon.  I noticed this problem with the multi-gig port right away.  Tech support only asked me to replace the ethernet cable!

So, will a factory reset solve the problem?  Or is it the WiFi frequencies?

I do like the rest of this device, but this one is a deal-breaker for me.

Thanks.

Message 22 of 42
FURRYe38
Guru

What FW is currently loaded on the modem? 

Is the CAX in gateway or modem only mode? 

What do you have connected to the 2.5Gb port on the CAX80? 

What CAT# LAN cable are you using? 

@GACuban wrote:

I wish I had seen this thread before buying the unit from Amazon.  I noticed this problem with the multi-gig port right away.  Tech support only asked me to replace the ethernet cable!

So, will a factory reset solve the problem?  Or is it the WiFi frequencies?

I do like the rest of this device, but this one is a deal-breaker for me.

Thanks.

Message 23 of 42
GACuban
Star

Thanks!

The firmware is the one I loaded when I got the thing yesterday-- V2.1.3.5

I believe it is in gateway mode....modem and router.

I have a Mac Studio connected to that port.  It is capable of 10 Gbps.

The cable is CAT-8 rated for 2000 Mhz / 40 Gbps.

Should I return it to Amazon?  Seems that the issue is the same as what is in this thread.  Thanks much.

Message 24 of 42
FURRYe38
Guru

Is the CAT cable UTP or STP? 

There is this however not sure if it will fix:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Cable-Modems-Routers/New-CAX80-Firmware-Version-2-1-3-7-Released/td...

Message 25 of 42
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 41 replies
  • 14 kudos
  • 8 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7