Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: CAX80 NightHawk AX8 Cable Modem Has no QoS settings

dbmdude
Aspirant

CAX80 NightHawk AX8 Cable Modem Has no QoS settings

I cant select the proper model as mine is not in the list; nor can I select a location because there is NOT one for Nighthawk AX8 Cable Modem.

Anyway is there any chance that the QoS settings can be enabled on this device?  When I first got the device the firmware was 1.1.0.36 and it had QoS menu options (although I never looked at them) and when I upgraded the firmware to 1.1.0.41 there is now NO QoS settings AT ALL.

Somwhere I found in my search that I needed to get the Orbi app... but when I get the app and try to connect to this cable modem it states not applicable for my device.

I have been on hold with Netgear for nearly 2 hours and transferred 7 different times and no one knows what they are doing... sickening

HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Why cant they make it so I can downgrade my cable modem to 1.1.0.36 so I can have QoS again?????????

I hate this.

Message 1 of 12
plemans
Guru

@dbmdude wrote:

I cant select the proper model as mine is not in the list; nor can I select a location because there is NOT one for Nighthawk AX8 Cable Modem.---might help to be in the right forum for posting for modem/router combo device and not mobile routers. but the CAX80 doesnt' look like its been added there yet.  https://community.netgear.com/t5/Cable-Modems-Routers/bd-p/home-cable-modems-routers 

Anyway is there any chance that the QoS settings can be enabled on this device?  When I first got the device the firmware was 1.1.0.36 and it had QoS menu options (although I never looked at them) and when I upgraded the firmware to 1.1.0.41 there is now NO QoS settings AT ALL.---I wasn't aware it had QoS at all. And I've had it since release day 1. I have to admit I never really looked for it since I'm on a gig plan. 

Somwhere I found in my search that I needed to get the Orbi app... but when I get the app and try to connect to this cable modem it states not applicable for my device.---You don't need the orbi app. You need the nighthawk app. if you're on android: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.netgear.netgearup&hl=en

Why cant they make it so I can downgrade my cable modem to 1.1.0.36 so I can have QoS again?????????

I hate this.

The CAX80 has firmware for both the modem side and the router side. Currently they're both controlled by the ISP. The router side is supposed to be getting enabled for end user updates but I haven't found any posted yet. 

https://kb.netgear.com/000036375/What-s-the-latest-firmware-version-of-my-NETGEAR-cable-modem-or-mod...

Something else is what speeds do you pay for? 

If you're on a plan with speeds >250mbps, then qos isn't recommended. 

@vkdelta Any idea if QoS is getting added or if Netgear will be posting the router firmware so end users can update/downgrade the firmware? 

Message 2 of 12
vkdelta
NETGEAR Expert

there is no QoS feature on CAX80 and no plans to add it.

in .36 there was QoS Menu but had only speedtest option in it. It was renamed to just speed test in newer FW.

So,there was never a QoS feature on .36 FW.

Message 3 of 12
dbmdude
Aspirant

@plemans wrote:

The CAX80 has firmware for both the modem side and the router side. Currently they're both controlled by the ISP. The router side is supposed to be getting enabled for end user updates but I haven't found any posted yet. 

https://kb.netgear.com/000036375/What-s-the-latest-firmware-version-of-my-NETGEAR-cable-modem-or-mod...

Something else is what speeds do you pay for? I pay for COMCAST 500mb but for reasons I cant explain (as I tested this).  I asked the three users in the house what they were doing at the time after a speed test showed 47mb; they said they were streaming video; I then asked all of them to pause video and I would do a speed test and I got 477mb; then I asked only one person to resume and I got 53mb.  I know that video streaming does not take that much bandwidth SO i needed the QoS setings to prioritize the bandwidth usage so my streaming on the main TV in the house is not interrupted by "whatever my son is doing that takes 424mb".

If you're on a plan with speeds >250mbps, then qos isn't recommended. 

I do not understand the above statement because I use it to control the bandwidth so a single person cannot hog it.

@vkdelta Netgear really needs to consider adding QoS back in.  I really need it.

Message 4 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

The only time you should be speed testing is when nothing is streaming or downloading. This gives incorrect speed results. It is normal to see slower speeds especially if others are doing something that usues up bandwidth. I have two xbox consoles connected to mine and don't see problems while others are streaming or doing something on the internet. Though I have 1Gb ISP service as well. 

Message 5 of 12
dbmdude
Aspirant

Can somone at NetGear (possibly @vkdelta ) get the official reason from the engineers as to WHY the QoS settings were removed from the router side of this cable modem??

THANKS

Message 6 of 12
vkdelta
NETGEAR Expert

There was never actual QoS settings or feature (except Speedtest was labelled as QoS).

It was renamed to Speedtest in newer FW.

Message 7 of 12
dbmdude
Aspirant

Let me restate my question then:

Can somone at NetGear (possibly @vkdelta ) get the official reason from the engineers as to WHY they did not add QoS settings in the router side of this cable modem??

Message 8 of 12
ktamas77
Aspirant

I'm also looking for the QoS option.
I used to have a RAX12 and it had QoS. Since in our new home we have Cable internet, we purchased the BEST Netgear Cable moden, the CAX80. And it doesn't have QoS? In the flagship cable router/modem of Netgear? This is ridiculous.
Without QoS, if we can't throttle upload speed, uploads are often failing/breaking/disconnecting.

Please add QoS to the CAX-80. Every single router has it. Otherwise we'll be forced to chose a different brand.

Model: RAX80|Nighthawk AX8 8-Stream WiFi Router
Message 9 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

"There was never actual QoS settings or feature (except Speedtest was labelled as QoS).

It was renamed to Speedtest in newer FW."

@ktamas77 wrote:

I'm also looking for the QoS option.
I used to have a RAX12 and it had QoS. Since in our new home we have Cable internet, we purchased the BEST Netgear Cable moden, the CAX80. And it doesn't have QoS? In the flagship cable router/modem of Netgear? This is ridiculous.
Without QoS, if we can't throttle upload speed, uploads are often failing/breaking/disconnecting.

Please add QoS to the CAX-80. Every single router has it. Otherwise we'll be forced to chose a different brand.

Message 10 of 12
dbmdude
Aspirant

@FURRYe38 

I think the point @ktamas77 and I are trying to make is that PEOPLE WANT QOS....

Seriously how hard is it to port code from a newer router over and make it work on this cablemode,/ router combination?????????????????????????

Seriously........

Message 11 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

I would post about your request here:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Idea-Exchange-For-Home/idb-p/idea-exchange-for-home

Maybe NG will relent and add it. Nothing we can do here in the forums. 

Good Luck. 

Message 12 of 12
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7