Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

CAX80 Not Connecting to the Internet COX

pritpatel10
Aspirant

CAX80 Not Connecting to the Internet COX

Hello- 

I woke up to my internet not working on many different devices and thought it was an outage. I rebooted the CAX80 and it powered up just fine. All the lights were on as expected. I still couldn't get internet access. I got on the phone with COX and asked them to ping the modem and check for outages. Everything returned as normal and they confirmed they had a great signal to the modem. I spent some time power cycling, rebooting and finally resetting the modem to no avail. I called Cox again to see if they could provision the modem and after doing so, there was still no interenet connection. I finally succumbed to their panoramic wifi modem just get to get internet restored. Plugged that sucker in and it started working immediately. I don't know the FW version my nighthawk was on, but I assume it got the lastest updates. I don't have time to mess with adding it back and toggling between the two modems and checking what could be wrong. Do we know of any other items I haven't tried to help get this thing restarted? I'm afraid its going to be usless and I can't even sell it to someone knowing it doesn't work for me. Any help is appreciated it! 

Message 1 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: CAX80 Not Connecting to the Internet COX

What Firmware version is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

Please post a copy and paste of the modems connection status page.
Have the ISP check the signal and line quality UP to the modem. Be sure the ISP provisions the modem correctly.
Be sure there are no coax cable line splitters in the between the modem and ISP service box. 
Be sure your using good quality RG6 coax cable up to the modem. 
Be sure to power OFF the modem for 1 minute then back ON.
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Cable-Modems-Routers/General-info-and-Troubleshooting-for-Cable-Mod...
https://www.duckware.com/tech/solving-intermittent-cable-modem-issues.html

Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Message 2 of 6
pritpatel10
Aspirant

Thanks for the reply. I checked the app as it still has my information saved and the FW version is v 2.1.3.5. I had used the CAX80 as the modem and the router so the coax was directly connected. I am currently using the panoramic modem/router from Cox to post this and use the internet. I can try to reconnect the Netgear and call Cox to provision the device in an hour or so. I saw a similar thread about the person being unable to connect to anything and I was in a similar situation. I could not use the web based login and even when trying to get into the app, it was not locating my router. I just hit the one year mark in October so I don't have warranty on the device and don't know if its worth paying for the advanced support. 

This is the other post: 
CAX80 won't work at all on WOW Internet; firmware ... - NETGEAR Communities

Message 3 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

Have you had the CAX online before or is this the first time with Cox? 

Be sure to have the ISP check the other suggestions. 

You'll need to have the modem connected to there coax line. 
You should be able to access the modems web page at 192.168.100.1 or 192.168.1.1 with a wired PC connected to LAN port #4 in back and a web browser.  

When connected with a PC, ping those IP addresses in a command line box. They should return results and not be timed out. 

Message 4 of 6
pritpatel10
Aspirant

I have been using this device since October of 2020. It just suddenly stopped working this morning around 4 am. I will try your suggestion and see what happens! 

Message 5 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

Check the front LED behavior as well. 
The ISP should be checking the signal up to the modem when this happens. Ask them to check there logs on the time frame when you see this...

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7