Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: CAX80 Updated to Firmware 2.1.3.5

tamanaco
Apprentice

CAX80 Updated to Firmware 2.1.3.5

This morning I was presented with Firmware Update 2.1.3.5 for my Netgear CAX80. After thinking it over for a couple minutes I took the plunge and installed it. The Firmware Update installed fine, but I had to power cycle the router to get up and running. So far, it appears that I didn't loose any of my router configuration setting, but I had to add my admin password when I re-stablished connection to the router and re-add my security questions.As expected, the Modem Firmware remained at the same level. The Release Notes details are on a screenshots below.  Let's see how it goes.

Router Firmware 2.1.3.5 Installed.pngRouter Firmware Available Notice.png

Message 1 of 14

Accepted Solutions
nsne
Virtuoso

Comcast tech just left. The signal coming into the house was apparently extraordinarily strong. He added some kind of step-down attachment onto the coax connector that balanced the upstream vs. downstream power a little better. CAX80 is now reporting a good signal.

So the new diagsnostics weren't in error. They ID'd a legitimate problem as intended!

View solution in original post

Message 9 of 14

All Replies
plemans
Guru

Thanks for updating us!

Message 2 of 14
Richard1864
Luminary

I noticed that my CAX80 now works properly with the Nighthawk app with that firmware update.
Message 3 of 14
tamanaco
Apprentice

After one day these are the positive changes I noticed, so far, with this update:

1. As mentioned in the previous post, the NightHawk App works better with this release, but still needs improvement.
  2. Samsung TV Plus now works as it should on my Q80R QLED TV.  TV Plus Channels connect right away and the Guide works as expected. With the previous firmware update the TV Plus channels worked, but I needed to wait almost a minute for most channels to connect... f they connected at all. The TV Plus Guide was useless.
  3. The one thing that surprised me was that with this update all of my Google Homes (1 Nest Hub Max, 1 Nest Hub, 3 Nest Minis and one original Google Home) are now all in sync.  With the previous firmware, two or more of my Home devices responded at once or with delays to commands. I also experienced delayed responses from Home devices that were not the ones closest to me. I had to play with the audio sensitivity settings to try to resolve the issue. It was driving me crazy. I thought it was an issue with the firmware in the Nest/Home devices, but Nah!... it was the CAX80 firmware causing the issue. Now all of the Google Home devices audio settings are back to normal (Default). They respond quickly to commands and only one the closest one replies.

Will post if I find other improvements or if I find new bugs.

Message 4 of 14
nsne
Virtuoso

I appear to have an issue with this firmware consistently reporting my cable connection as "Poor" even though I'm getting full upstream bandwidth (41+ Mbps of a theoretical 40 Mbps max). The coax run to the box is about two feet, no splitters.

Screen Shot 2021-11-09 at 10.19.59 AM.pngScreen Shot 2021-11-09 at 10.20.51 AM.png

Message 5 of 14
tamanaco
Apprentice

nsne - My cable connection diags status to my ISP (Spectrum) is good. No issues, so far, with this firmware release as it relates to cable connectivity.

Cable Connection Status.png

Message 6 of 14
nsne
Virtuoso

Thanks, @tamanaco. Good to know. A Comcast tech is scheduled to be out here sometime in the next two hours to have a look at things. If your diags are working correctly, then it's likely a valid issue with my coax run/provisioning.

Message 7 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

Have them check the modems connection status page for signal values while they are there.

Have the ISP check the signal and line quality UP to the modem. Be sure the ISP provisions the modem correctly.
Be sure there are no coax cable line splitters in the between the modem and ISP service box. 
Be sure your using good quality RG6 coax cable up to the modem. 
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Cable-Modems-Routers/General-info-and-Troubleshooting-for-Cable-Mod...

@nsne wrote:

Thanks, @tamanaco. Good to know. A Comcast tech is scheduled to be out here sometime in the next two hours to have a look at things. If your diags are working correctly, then it's likely a valid issue with my coax run/provisioning.

Message 8 of 14
nsne
Virtuoso

Comcast tech just left. The signal coming into the house was apparently extraordinarily strong. He added some kind of step-down attachment onto the coax connector that balanced the upstream vs. downstream power a little better. CAX80 is now reporting a good signal.

So the new diagsnostics weren't in error. They ID'd a legitimate problem as intended!

Message 9 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

Glad they got it working. 

Be sure to save off a back up configuration to file for safe keeping. Saves time if a reset is needed.
https://kb.netgear.com/24231/How-do-I-back-up-the-router-configuration-settings-on-my-Nighthawk-rout...
Enjoy.

Message 10 of 14
Lurksalot
Apprentice

Anyone have any ideas why downloading the latest CAX80 firmware 2.1.3.5 and attempting to apply as documented isn't working for my device? The message I recieve states "This firmware file is incorrect! Please get the firmware file again and make sure it is the correct firmware for this product". And yes I downloaded the compressed file and unzipped and pointed to the CAX80-V2.1.3.5.bin file, several times now with the same result. I also tried using the GUI firmware check and get the message, "Unable to download firmware from Netgear server".  The only thing I can think of is that Cox is blocking the update at the moment at least for the latter attempt.

Any thoughts?

See screenshots.

Thanks.

Model: Dual Band
Message 11 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

What browser are you using? 

Try MS Edge for Firefox...

@Lurksalot wrote:

Anyone have any ideas why downloading the latest CAX80 firmware 2.1.3.5 and attempting to apply as documented isn't working for my device? The message I recieve states "This firmware file is incorrect! Please get the firmware file again and make sure it is the correct firmware for this product". And yes I downloaded the compressed file and unzipped and pointed to the CAX80-V2.1.3.5.bin file, several times now with the same result. I also tried using the GUI firmware check and get the message, "Unable to download firmware from Netgear server".  The only thing I can think of is that Cox is blocking the update at the moment at least for the latter attempt.

Any thoughts?

See screenshots.

Thanks.

Message 12 of 14
Lurksalot
Apprentice

Problem solved not being able to apply the updated firmware. Just needed to reboot the device before-hand.

Thanks.

Model: Dual Band
Message 13 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

Be sure to save off a back up configuration to file for safe keeping. Saves time if a reset is needed.
https://kb.netgear.com/24231/How-do-I-back-up-the-router-configuration-settings-on-my-Nighthawk-rout...
Enjoy.

@Lurksalot wrote:

Problem solved not being able to apply the updated firmware. Just needed to reboot the device before-hand.

Thanks.

Message 14 of 14
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 13 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 6 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7