Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: CAX80 Will Not Let Me Log In

Gbol
Aspirant

CAX80 Will Not Let Me Log In

I have been trying to log into my admin account on my router and it keeps rejecting my log in and asking me to reset my password. I reset the password and get a message it was successful, but when I try to log in, it once again rejects the login and askes to reset the password. Any ideas why this is happening or how I can fix it?

Message 1 of 15
plemans
Guru

Have you tried a different pc/browser? 

Hav eyou tried factory resetting and reinstalling the router? 

Message 2 of 15
Gbol
Aspirant

Tried a different browser and my iPad. It was working fine in Safari. I have not tried a reset yet. I will try that tomorrow.

Message 3 of 15

Is this with a wired connection or over wireless?

Have you tried using one of those nasty apps?

The CAX80 WiFI Cable Modem Router is a different beast from standard Nighthawk routers.

You might get more help, and find earlier questions and answers specific to your device, in the appropriate section for your hardware. That's probably here:

Cable Modems & Routers

In the meantime you could visit the support pages:

Support | NETGEAR

Feed in your model number and check the documentation for your hardware. Look at the label on the device for the model number.

You may have done this already. I can't tell from your message.

I mention it because Netgear stopped supplying printed manuals and CD versions some years ago and people sometimes miss the downloads.

Message 4 of 15
Gbol
Aspirant

I have tried those "nasty apps", Safari and Firefox, all with the same result. It is a wireless connection to my iMac running the latest version of Big Sur. A reset of the Modem has not helped either. I am hesitant to do a hard reset, because out of the box, there were problems with Xfinity that Netgear set up from there end, so I do not want to risk that problem again unless there is no other way. I am connecting fine with the router, but it refuses to accept my password, even if I reset the password.

Message 5 of 15

Sorry, I don't understand this bit.

@Gbol wrote:

A reset of the Modem has not helped either. I am hesitant to do a hard reset....

I don't know what you mean by "hard reset".There is only one reset process and ion reset button on our device.

If you have "reset the modem", then you have hard reset the CAX80.

Or are you talking about something else?

@Gbol wrote:

I have tried those "nasty apps", Safari and Firefox, all with the same result. It is a wireless connection to my iMac running the latest version of Big Sur.

Hmm. Wireless is never the best choice. Wired is better. It is also faster than wifi. Don't iMacs come with Ethernet these days?

I assume that you are using local access connected to the wifi from the CAX80 rather than remote (anywhere) access through Netgear's cloud intermediary.

@Gbol wrote:

....it refuses to accept my password,

What refuses the accept your password? What is the exact message that you see?

That is he password with the "admin" username?

@Gbol wrote:

....even if I reset the password.

How do you manage to do that reset if you cannot login?

@Gbol wrote:

I am hesitant to do a hard reset, because out of the box, there were problems with Xfinity that Netgear set up from there end,

Another odd one. It isn't usually down to Netgear to do remote operations.That's an ISP thing. So I don't understand what that means.

You should be able to copy all of the settings that matter on your CAX80, reset the thing, and the recreate those settings.

You can even follow the instructions in the manual to create a copy of your existing settings. Then if you fail to get the thing working after a reset you can just restore those settings.

But that routine relies on getting into the browser graphical user interface, which is where this saga starts. If you can't access the settings you can't save, or restore, your settings.

That's another good reason for trying to get to the bottom of what is going on.

Message 6 of 15
Gbol
Aspirant

Sorry I was not more clear. I unplugged the modem for a while and restarted, so reset was not the correct term. I am trying to log into the admin account on the router so that I can set static IP addresses on some smart devices. The router is in a different room than the computer, so a hard connection is not possible. Connecting does not seem to be the problem. The connection is fine, but for some reason the admin account will not accept my password, even after resetting it multiple times. It diid work the first time I did it, but stopped, so I am in this loop of trying to get in, resetting the password, and having it refused. As you say, if I cannot get in, I cannot save the settings.

Message 7 of 15
FURRYe38
Guru

Does FireFox or Opera or Opera GX for for you on BS? I use BS as well and noticed that Safari doesnt' work well on some networking log in items. 

Last resort would be to factory reset with a wired PC and walk thru the setup wizard. Be sure to write down all imformation for safe keeping. I recommend using Firefox, or Opera browser for this. 

Message 8 of 15
Gbol
Aspirant

I tried Safari, Firefox and Chrome on the iMac as well as the mobile app. No luck with any of them.

Message 9 of 15
FURRYe38
Guru

I recommend that you factory reset the CAX80 by pressing the reset button for 10 seconds then release. Walk thru the setup wizard with a wired PC and I would use FireFox to complete the setup wizard. Be sure to write down all important information for safe keeping later on.

Message 10 of 15
Gbol
Aspirant

I may try this as a last resort. Reading other threads it sounds like this unit may not have been a good choice. It required remote setup from Netgear when I initially installed and set it up. I guess that was a red flag.

Message 11 of 15
FURRYe38
Guru

Remote installation from NG? Never saw that with mine. 

You can get it up via the Nighthawk app or direct connect with a wired PC and web browser. 

Message 12 of 15
Gbol
Aspirant

I did that to begin with, but there were problems. I called XFinity and they said "not our equipment, not our problem". I called NetGear and got a guy in India I could barely understand that got it going, but did not tell me what he did. With WIFI 6 coming, maybe I should sit tight and replace this then. There appear to be other problems with this, based on what I am reading on other threads and it gets to the point of how much more time do I want to spend on this. A reset may not help.

Message 13 of 15
FURRYe38
Guru

For logging in, a reset will fix this. Just connect a wired PC to the back of the CAX and use a web browser and walk thru the setup wizard at 192.168.1.1...

Message 14 of 15
Gbol
Aspirant

Unfortunately the cable line to the router and the computer are in two different rooms

Message 15 of 15
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 14 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7