Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: CAX80 not compatible with Comcast/Xfinity??

Seadog1975
Aspirant

CAX80 not compatible with Comcast/Xfinity??

Recently purchased a Nighthawk AX8 Cable modem & router, which according to the description provided by Netgear, is compatible with Xfinity. After several months of trying to replace the Arris modem Xfinity provided with this one and spending hours on the phone with Xfinity Support (worst support ever) they are taking the position that this modem is not compaitble with Xfinity becasue it doesn't show up on their "Certified" list. (see below). 

Before I duke it our with them again, I would like to know from the community if (a) this one is in fact compaitble as advertised and (b) is there some specific steps to getting to to work with Xfinity??  I am setting this up for a non-profit and they are on Comcast Business with a Fixed IP address. I pluged in all the appropriate settings for Fixed IP, Mask, DNS, etc. and it took it in just fine. However the "product support person" from Comcast said she couldnt' get it to initialize with her system which evidently has a preconfigured script it uses to ping the modem by MAC address and then push the appropriate signal to establish a WAN link. I watched as she attempted to do this and none of the settings she supposedly used made the WAN connection. 

So, looking for some others who've set one of these up on Xfinity and perhaps ssme tips on getting it to synch up with them. 

Thank you. 

Smiley Happy

Business Internet 200 & Below Speed TiersVendor Model Product Name

ArrisSB6141 (Retail)Retail SURFboard Cable Modem
ArrisSB6183 (Retail)Retail SURFboard Cable Modem
ArrisSB6190 (Retail)Retail SURFboard Cable Modem
ArrisSB8200 (Retail)Retail SURFboard Cable Modem
MotorolaMB7220 (Retail)Retail 8 X 4 Cable Modem
MotorolaMB7420 (Retail)Retail 16 X 4 Cable Modem
MotorolaMB7621 (Retail)Retail 24 X 8 Cable Modem
MotorolaMB8600 (Retail)Retail 32 X 8 Cable Modem
NetgearCM400 (Retail)Netgear Retail Modem
NetgearCM500-100NAS (Retail)Netgear Retail Cable Modem
NetgearCM600 (Retail)Netgear Retail Cable Modem
NetgearCM700 (Retail)Netgear Retail Cable Modem
NetgearCM1000 (Retail)Netgear Retail Cable Modem
NetgearCM1100 (Retail)Netgear Retail Cable Modem
NetgearCM1200 (Retail)Netgear Retail Cable Modem
TP-LinkTC-7610 (Retail)Retail Cable Modem
TP-LinkTC-7620 (Retail)Retail Cable Modem
TP-LinkTC-7650 (Retail)Retail Cable Modem
Zoom Telephonics5345 (Retail)Retail Cable Modem
Zoom Telephonics5370 (Retail)Retail Cable Modem
Message 1 of 22
plemans
Guru

It does work with xfinity. I'm on their service and it works fine. Granted I'm not the business class setup. 

I'd try calling them back and seeing about a different support person. 

Message 2 of 22
Seadog1975
Aspirant

I'm glad to hear that - and I wasn't convinced they were right either, but I've already toalked to their da## support people 5 times now, different person each time, and they all do the same thing. When I request a higher level of support, it goes nowhere. Very frustrating. If I may ask - when you set yours up how dod you register with Comcast? Did you tell them CAX80?  I don't think business should matter, but it's possible it might. I've looked on their website and don't see a difference in terms of configuration - modem gets a synch freq, puts up a DNS (or in my case pings for the proper fixed IP address, and should connect (ikn theory). 

Thanks for confirming my suspicion that it's clearly a Comcast issue (no surpise) 🙂 Smiley Wink

Message 3 of 22
plemans
Guru

I swap out modem/srouters frequently to try new things. 

I've not once called them to do so.

I've set it up using the app and using the browser for setup. 

Everytime it was under 10 minutes to setup. 

Again, this is on the consumer side. 

Message 4 of 22
Seadog1975
Aspirant

Thanks. Truthfully, I've done the same and not had any issues in setting up new modems. This was a first. I don't know why the buisness side would be any different, but the CUS person on the line could not explain it to me since she didn't sound very technical. I will try it agina this week and see if I have any better luck. 

Message 5 of 22
Saeidzzz
Star

Message 6 of 22
FURRYe38
Guru

Not everyone has problems with the CAX80. 

Message 7 of 22
Seadog1975
Aspirant

Thanks. Already purchased. Read your post. Sadly, Ive had similar support experience with many companies. Unfortunate what passes for customer support these days.
Message 8 of 22
Seadog1975
Aspirant

Im sure, but this is actually a Comcast business related issue. While their website says its supported, I'm finding that Comcast Business does not. It has something to do with Wifi/Router combinations which is why they only list DOCSIS midems as substitutes for their equipment.
Message 9 of 22
FURRYe38
Guru

You'll need to go with something that the ISP supports with the CAX80. I presume there business plans have more specific requirements for actual business users. Home plans seem to be more open to less stricter requirements for user owned modems. Just know that ISPs are responsible to update FW on the CAX80 modem side. NG only develops the FW and then hands it off to the ISP for additional testing on there side before they deem it fit for pushing to users modems. 

If you find your having any problems with the CAX80, please post here in the forums and we'll help you out as best as we can. 

Message 10 of 22
Seadog1975
Aspirant

Thanks. Ive already got a CM1200 on the way. I will bridge it to the CAX80, which should work with Comcast Business. Im hopeful itll go smoothly.
Message 11 of 22
FURRYe38
Guru

Um, that won't work. The CAX80 and CM1200 required a coax input for ISP services. The CM1200 is just a modem only, no bridging features and the CAX80 can only work in router or modem only modes. If you disable the CAX80s router make it a modem only, then you'll need a wifi router bahind it for wifi and networking connections. You can't connect another modem to the CAX80 or CM1200. 

Message 12 of 22
Saeidzzz
Star

when i was talkin about comcast about the issue with my internet they told me "im not goin to tell u that the issue is in ur modem the modem u have is good and supported but we will need you to contact netgear and tell them to configure the modem" but ofcourse netgear knows nothing about such configuration lol they configure your wireless channels but nothing about the cable modem it self so it is supported but comcast will give u hard time too i was sick of paying for lease modems but after this headache i would go back to the lease in a heartbeat im just waiting to see what netgear going to do about my issue cause they are ignoring me so dont expect a support from them, and yes unfortunatly we get a lot of bad customer service from the ocmpanies now days but by far im tellin u this is the worst i ever encountered i wouldnt wish it on anyone good luck to you sir!

Message 13 of 22
FURRYe38
Guru

Please contact the forum moderator as they have reached out to you. They are not ignoring you.

@Saeidzzz wrote:

when i was talkin about comcast about the issue with my internet they told me "im not goin to tell u that the issue is in ur modem the modem u have is good and supported but we will need you to contact netgear and tell them to configure the modem" but ofcourse netgear knows nothing about such configuration lol they configure your wireless channels but nothing about the cable modem it self so it is supported but comcast will give u hard time too i was sick of paying for lease modems but after this headache i would go back to the lease in a heartbeat im just waiting to see what netgear going to do about my issue cause they are ignoring me so dont expect a support from them, and yes unfortunatly we get a lot of bad customer service from the ocmpanies now days but by far im tellin u this is the worst i ever encountered i wouldnt wish it on anyone good luck to you sir!

Keep in contact with them. 

Message 14 of 22
Seadog1975
Aspirant

I feel your pain. Having been in customer service and tech support for 40 years, if I provied the type of service we're getting now in the field, I'd have been fired on the spot. I've installed alot of Netgear devices in the past and have been fortunate to not have many issues with them. But, as new tech comes to the fore and with every nuance comes the quirks, customer service to isloate problems becomes inherently more important. Too bad companies miss that mark so often. Smiley Frustrated

My CM1200 should be in today so I'll install it tomorrow. The CAX80 was my backup Wifi band as I have some PoE WAPs running at this facility of a smart switch. Should be fine once I dump the OEM modem Comcast doles out to their customers. 🙂 

Take care... Smiley Happy

Message 15 of 22
FURRYe38
Guru

So you are planning on connecting the CAX80 to the CM1200? 

@Seadog1975 wrote:

My CM1200 should be in today so I'll install it tomorrow. The CAX80 was my backup Wifi band as I have some PoE WAPs running at this facility of a smart switch. Should be fine once I dump the OEM modem Comcast doles out to their customers. 🙂 

Message 16 of 22
Seadog1975
Aspirant

That's the plan. I'm going to bridge the CM1200 and run the CAX80 as a backend router. I keep those SSIDs private so I can run the interactive exhbits we have in the facility on their own Wifi band. 

Message 17 of 22
FURRYe38
Guru

You are aware that won't work right? 

@Seadog1975 wrote:

That's the plan. I'm going to bridge the CM1200 and run the CAX80 as a backend router. I keep those SSIDs private so I can run the interactive exhbits we have in the facility on their own Wifi band. 

Message 18 of 22
Seadog1975
Aspirant

Well, it will when I'm done. The CM1200 will be on the CB business coax. That will plug into my smartswitch. WAPS on this install - no need for Wifi Router. The CAX80 will just be a Wifi router (for now since no internet needed for exhibits). After some changes, I'll move the CAX80 to another location. Since it won't work on CB level of services, it will be repurposed elsewhere when the time comes. Smiley Happy

Message 19 of 22
FURRYe38
Guru

Be aware that if the coax line is not connected to the CAX80, it's default operation is to continuely auto reboot every 2 minutes until the CAX80 detects a signal on the RG6 coax line and connector. The CAX80 can only work as the main host gateway modem with the router and wifi enabled or in modem only mode with out the router and wifi enabled connected to an ISP services RG6 coax line. 

Message 20 of 22
Seadog1975
Aspirant

Thanks yes, aware and have already experienced that reboot. First round with Comcast, thought I had a lock on the signal on the RG6 port and we were good, but Comcast then came back and said they couldn't see the device. After wrangling with them, it was concluded that their Business product is not compatible with this particular modem, so it will be re-purposed and the client has opted to go with the CM1200 so as not to hold them up with the planned update to their network. I've not spent alot of time with the CAX80 as of yet, but not concerned. It's one site I don't get to alot these days. 

Message 21 of 22
FURRYe38
Guru

Ok just wanted you to be aware. I like the CM1200, good modem. I like having two routers connected to it for sepearate networks. CAX80 does same when in modem mode. 

Message 22 of 22
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 21 replies
  • 5 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7