Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: CAX80 problems

FURRYe38
Guru

I would make contact with NG support or forum moderator and express the problems that your seeing for item#1 and #3 and ask about if there maybe any beta FW updates for the router portion of the modem. 

@vkdelta 

Message 26 of 49
trpeople
Guide

I appreciate your efforts to fix the issue with replacing the modem/router completely. I totally understand your frustrations (since I am going though them too). However, the modem/router you chose is AC (Wifi5) not AX(Wifi6). There's a huge difference in how this gets data to each device (see video link for more info: https://youtu.be/KufwPgJkUjw ). I'm still looking for a more solid solution. Considering how expensive the CAX80 modem/router is, I think Netgear should have a working product out of the box.
Message 27 of 49
trpeople
Guide

If you disable the AX feature, you might as well just return the device and get a WI-FI AC device and save the money.

Here's the difference of Wi-Fi 5 (AC) vs Wi-Fi 6 (AX) - https://youtu.be/KufwPgJkUjw
Message 28 of 49
FURRYe38
Guru

The suggestion of disabling of AX mode on the modem is a troubleshooting step to see if the changes the interaction behavior between the modem and the wifi device. Some devices have some problems with AX mode being enabled, AX supporting or not. So temporarily disabling AX mode on the modem might help with some difference experiences and seems to be some sort of issue with one specific brand and model of Samsung devices. One does not have to keep AX mode disabled ALL the time. 

Users are encouraged to contact both NG and Samsung regarding there experiences and hopefully some here, something will get fixed. 

Message 29 of 49
jbtaco2002
Star

@trpeople wrote:
I appreciate your efforts to fix the issue with replacing the modem/router completely. I totally understand your frustrations (since I am going though them too). However, the modem/router you chose is AC (Wifi5) not AX(Wifi6). There's a huge difference in how this gets data to each device (see video link for more info: https://youtu.be/KufwPgJkUjw ). I'm still looking for a more solid solution. Considering how expensive the CAX80 modem/router is, I think Netgear should have a working product out of the box.

completely understand that i am missing out on wifi6 capabilites with the c7800, but i just needed working equipment and wanted a docsis 3.1 wifi router.

also FW version was unable to be changed, when going through the admin menu, i believe it says FW is pushed by the ISP, so how would i test a beta FW?

Message 30 of 49
FURRYe38
Guru

I thought you had the CAX80 since this is a CAX80 thread...the CAX80 supports user FW for the router portion of the modem. The C7800 doesn't. 

Message 31 of 49
jbtaco2002
Star

@FURRYe38 wrote:

I thought you had the CAX80 since this is a CAX80 thread...the CAX80 supports user FW for the router portion of the modem. The C7800 doesn't. 

right, this thread was created for my CAX-80 that was not working correctly. i suppose i can power it up again and see about the FW, but honestly i don't need help anymore since i don't ever plan to use it.

appreciate yours and everyone's time, and hopefully a suggestion in this thread might help someone, but i do feel there is a subtle design flaw resulting in the issues where nothing appears wrong with the internet and the connection, yet devices(sometimes 1, sometimes all) connected to the CAX-80 reported "connected (to wifi) - No Internet" and only a modem reset corrects the issue.

thanks @FURRYe38

JB

Message 32 of 49
FURRYe38
Guru

Thats something to talk to NG support or the forum moderator about then. You have a expensive unit to not be using correctly and agree, it should be working well for you. I would talk to NG and hopefully get it resolved. 

Message 33 of 49
BEB7474
Star

This is so annoying. I've had no problems w/my cax80 for a week. I just turned on my TV & have already had to reboot twice & setup my router again. FIX THIS PLEASE. THIS IS OUT OF CONTROL. REFUND MY MONEY OR FIX PLEASE. IM OUT OF PATIENCE.
Message 34 of 49
plemans
Guru

@BEB7474 this is the community forum. where members of the public help out. We're not netgear. If you want replacement/refund, you'd want to contact netgear support. 

Message 35 of 49
BEB7474
Star

I am on my 2nd cax80 as well. I'm still having the same problems. I want to throw this **bleep** out the window. I have the Samsung s20 + as well. I promise you, it's not our phone or cox, ITS NETGEAR. Have you downloaded the nighthawk app for your modem/router? That's how I contact Netgear. Click on "contact." But I can almost guarantee you, they are gonna have you do the same crap over & over. Its something w/their firmware.
Message 36 of 49
BEB7474
Star

I totally agree. Guess I will probably end up doing the same, returning this pos.
Message 37 of 49
dadabunchie
Aspirant

@BEB7474 wrote:
I am on my 2nd cax80 as well. I'm still having the same problems. I want to throw this **bleep** out the window. I have the Samsung s20 + as well. I promise you, it's not our phone or cox, ITS NETGEAR. Have you downloaded the nighthawk app for your modem/router? That's how I contact Netgear. Click on "contact." But I can almost guarantee you, they are gonna have you do the same crap over & over. Its something w/their firmware.

Their FW is definitely borked and there are no updates since release.  I do wonder if the CPU on the device is underpowered and it stalls to keep up with the load of adding devices even though its a WiFi6 router.

Some advice, create backups of your settings regularly (I mean often).  Also when restarting, completely power down the device meaning unplug the d**n thing for > 30s.  

With the logs have useless information and an unreliable reboot/restart process its a crap shoot with this device.  I've had my device for about 3 months and its rebooted multiple times and sometimes its seamless and other times it would reset to default.

my 2 cents

Message 38 of 49
FURRYe38
Guru

That would probably be your best bet. This issue maybe a Samesung or Samesung OS issue as well. My CAX80 works well with ALL my devices, I don't have a Samsung S20 though. If this is the only device having problems with the CAX80 and others don't, kind of hard to place full blame on NG for this. 

@BEB7474 wrote:
I totally agree. Guess I will probably end up doing the same, returning this pos.

Message 39 of 49
trpeople
Guide

My Samsung Galaxy S20 Plus is back to "connected, without Internet". Only solution is reboot router. Have to setup router as new to re-activate Internet with COX each time as well. Yeah, I agree.... Piece of S***. $500 wasted.
Message 40 of 49
FURRYe38
Guru

Then return it. 

Message 41 of 49
BEB7474
Star

My cax80 worked flawlessly for 2 wks about a month ago. Then all of a sudden it started disconnecting EVERYTHING again. Even my streamer which is hardwired directly to my modem/router. If it is the Samsung S20+ causing this, then NG needs to contact Samsung & figure out whats wrong. I've wasted too much time on the thing as it is. Yesterday was 1st day in a month that I didn't have to reboot, but my streamer kept buffering all day long- which is just as annoying.
Message 42 of 49
FURRYe38
Guru

Has anyone seen a new version of FW on there modems? v2.1.1.4? 

Power OFF your CAX80 for 1 minute then back on...

Message 43 of 49
dadabunchie
Aspirant

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Has anyone seen a new version of FW on there modems? v2.1.1.4? 

Power OFF your CAX80 for 1 minute then back on...

I tried running the Router Update in the Advanced Menu but it didn't find any new FW

my 2 cents

Message 44 of 49
FURRYe38
Guru

Ok. Thanks for letting us know.

Message 45 of 49
Lurksalot
Apprentice

I don't think the CAX80 FW update is approved by Cox and other ISP's yet.

https://kb.netgear.com/000036375/What-s-the-latest-firmware-version-of-my-NETGEAR-cable-modem-or-mod...

Thanks.

Model: Dual Band
Message 46 of 49
FURRYe38
Guru

Thats only for the modem portion. For CAX there is a router portion that seems to be under NGs control. 

Message 47 of 49
Lurksalot
Apprentice

The top of the link states the following, emphasis added:

"You cannot manually update your NETGEAR cable modem or modem router’s firmware.
NETGEAR provides your ISP with the latest firmware and your ISP updates your firmware.
If your firmware is out of date, contact your Internet Service Provider (ISP) for assistance."

Thanks

Model: Dual Band
Message 48 of 49
FURRYe38
Guru

The CAX80 is the only modem that the router portion can be udpated by a user. The modem portion is still pushed by the ISP.

Thanks. 

Message 49 of 49
Discussion stats
  • 48 replies
  • 7 kudos
  • 8 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7